Talk

Advanced search

Top Jeremy Corbyn aide and son of John Prescott 'suspended over sexual harassment claims'

(20 Posts)
SilverySurfer Thu 09-Nov-17 17:43:18

Haven't seen this mentioned on here www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/08/top-jeremy-corbyn-aide-son-john-prescott-suspended-sexual-harassment/ so it's not just Hollywood which has problems.

ginghambox Thu 09-Nov-17 18:11:48

No mention of Labour tax dodging either. Funny that.
www.express.co.uk/news/politics/876815/Labour-tax-avoidance-councils-offshore-Jeremy-Corbyn-Sefton-Warrington

SilverySurfer Thu 09-Nov-17 18:25:16

An interesting link, ginghambox. I'm sure all the predominantly Labour supporters on here are racing to post about both pieces of news - not. Had this been about a Tory aide and councils the thread would already be multiple pages long grin

user1471596238 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:30:55

SilverySurfer, we already know that the issue transcends political parties, it's an issue for Parliament as a whole. From what I can see, it's the media that are attempting to make it a partisan issue. Both leaders have said that it needs to be stamped down on.

user1471596238 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:37:07

Tax avoidance is a bit of a minefield because obviously it isn't illegal but personally I don't want to see it turned into a situation where people try and dilute or balance out the issue by saying "yeah but look at them, look at what they're doing too" because ultimately it's ordinary people that lose out. If the issue crosses parties then all concerned need to be called out on it.

purits Thu 09-Nov-17 18:53:06

If the issue crosses parties then all concerned need to be called out on it.
What do you mean "if"?

ultimately it's ordinary people that lose out
How do "the ordinary people" lose out if their council try to keep costs down?
You cannot wriggle out of this by trying to pretend that it's "them" who do it - you do it, too, through agencies like councils or pension funds. Or Uber or Apple or Amazon.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Nov-17 19:07:24

Surfer it is cheap and nasty point-scoring to imply this is partisan. You also managed to fit a grin on a thread about sexual harassment. I hope you are thoroughly ashamed.

For the record, leftie here who hopes any and all sexual harassers, regardless of affiliation, are prosecuted.

SilverySurfer Thu 09-Nov-17 19:59:57

I reiterate, had either of these two stories been about Tory workers or councils, this thread would be heaving with left wingers saying what bastards the Tories are. I find that amusing, hence the grin.

It shouldn't need to be said but I will, just for you - having been the victim of sexual assault myself, I do not find it in the least bit amusing, and obviously feel the same way for anyone who has been sexually abused.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Nov-17 20:04:18

You are doing the exact thing you are accusing the Labour-supporting MNers of; political point scoring and partisan broadcasting of stories.

SilverySurfer Thu 09-Nov-17 23:28:51

Yes, of course - threads on here are pretty much 100-1 in favour of Labour and I'm just redressing the balance a little.

Hopefully you would concede that had these two stories been about the Tories, the left wingers would have been heavily political point scoring on here.

I find it interesting that left wingers won't comment on either story but prefer to attempt to turn them into cross party issues. That speaks volumes.

Julie8008 Fri 10-Nov-17 00:43:03

Everyone on the left is equal, some are just more equal than others. Its like a religion, they just cant believe their kind would every do any wrong as they see the world as they would like it to be and anyone on the right is evil for seeing the world as it is. Is that hypocrisy or delusion?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 10-Nov-17 01:05:24

Possibly you missed the 150 posts about known leftie, friend of Clinton, and Obama admirer, Kevin Spacey. Gay, friend of the arts, in arty films, lovey.

For the record I think it is being handled horribly and the Labour party’s record on women’s rights is shocking. But using this story to score points... just yuk.

MistressDeeCee Fri 10-Nov-17 01:31:50

So basically Silversurfer you couldn't give a fuck about women being harassed, you've just put a thread up to start a bunfught re "if it were Tories". & you put a grin, too

Your stupidity in thinking women here would turn a blind eye to sexual harassment if it involves the political party they favour is breathtaking

Spoiled what could have been a valid discussion on the sad prevalence of sexual harassment, with that attitude so there seems little point in commenting further

No grin.

mellongoose Fri 10-Nov-17 02:28:01

It’s the mainstream media bbc who believe the Labour Party can do no wrong. It is all part of the narrative to bring down the PM.

Last year they hated Jeremy Corbyn. In actual fact they still love Blair but since he won’t return they have to make their sport where they can.

Thanks for posting and trying to redress the balance OP.

SeaWitchly Fri 10-Nov-17 06:47:56

It’s the mainstream media bbc who believe the Labour Party can do no wrong. It is all part of the narrative to bring down the PM.

I don't think the media need to help with that tbf, Theresa May and the Tories are doing a fine job of being dishonest and incompetent all by themselves.

Believeitornot Fri 10-Nov-17 06:49:18

@SilverySurfer why are you making this a political issue hmm

Harassment is harassment for goodness sake.

BertrandRussell Fri 10-Nov-17 06:52:14

Sorry?

This is a political issue exactly how?

Many men treat women appallingly. Regardless of political affiliation.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 10-Nov-17 07:27:19

There was plenty about John Prescott Senior - consensual but inappropriate affair with civil servant
BUT
Labour were in government then

Government scandals will always get miles more publicity than those of Opposition parties - rightly so.

And there are harassment allegations against about 35 Tory ministers and MPs
Much more important than an aide / dogsbody

(btw, in my 61 years, I've never once voted Labour - I look at the individual candidate and Labour only offered me plonkers)

C8H10N4O2 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:38:11

OP: What exactly is your AIBU?

In the absence of on I'd have to say YABU for posting in the wrong place.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Fri 10-Nov-17 11:45:02

As it happens I agree that there are plenty on here who would be glorying in pro labour partisanship if the facts permitted. However this is too clearly a cross party problem for the usual MN filters to work.
Personally I align with the likes of Anna soubry and Jess Phillips who have been very clear that this is everyone’s problem and political pressure on women not to hurt their party by making complaints is a huge part of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now