Talk

Advanced search

To argue that food products have an 'age limit'

(105 Posts)
LindaDeb Thu 09-Nov-17 11:35:49

During the recent summer, my DC (14 & 19) both went through a substantial amount of ice creams and similar treats. Whilst DH and I are pretty strict on the amount of treats DD (14) has, DS is obviously more independent. This summer, every day he'd have at least one or two 'Calippos'. Now I have no issue with this, I just thought it was pretty funny as it's not at all conducive with the "gangster" image he tries to cultivate. I won't tell him that though! It just got me thinking at the time, I would absolutely die if my husband started sucking on a Calippo in our garden or if we had friends over! I just couldn't imagine it, a grown man (or woman) having certain treats like that.

Don't ask me at what age does it become embarrassing, but AIBU to think there is one?

Sandsunsea Thu 09-Nov-17 11:37:28

This seems a ridiculous thing to spend time thinking about and getting embarrassed about. It's only food

CryingShame Thu 09-Nov-17 11:37:54

Nah, grown adults who loves mini milks here. And if I walked into work with a pack of party ring iced biscuits I'd have friends for life.

Life's too short to grow out of fun foods.

DayManChampionOfTheSun Thu 09-Nov-17 11:37:57

I don’t see what the problem is with a man or woman eating a Calippo. Is it because you think it looks sexual? confused

TroubledTribble28 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:39:49

I may have jelly and ice cream at my 30th birthday dinner so yabu grin

PinkHeart5914 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:40:44

Yabu food doesn’t have an ‘age limit’

Migraleve Thu 09-Nov-17 11:41:51

Here is a grip hmm

MorningstarMoon Thu 09-Nov-17 11:42:27

Yabu. hmm

pinkhorse Thu 09-Nov-17 11:42:43

Huh?? All adults I know eat calippos! What a weird thing to say

TrojansAreSmegheads Thu 09-Nov-17 11:43:13

what's wrong with a calippo? they are fine.

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 09-Nov-17 11:43:57

There are some things you should probably be embarrassed by your husband sucking on when you have company over (depending on the company of course) but an ice lolly is not one of them.

Breast milk is the closest you get to an age limit on food...

Ilovelampandchair Thu 09-Nov-17 11:44:00

Food doesn't have an age limit but age often has a wisdom about food limit.

I wouldn't eat the shit now as an adult, not because it's childish but because I've learned that there are way way nicer treats out there.

ColinCreevy Thu 09-Nov-17 11:44:27

confused

LindaDeb Thu 09-Nov-17 11:44:33

Haha well it seems quite unanimous that as I thought I was being a little too prudish, but I do confess I've always felt this way, much like it chides me to no end to see an adult on one of those oversized scooters or, heaven forbid, skateboarding. Not that I interfere of course, or judge them per se, I just feel I wouldn't be comfortable doing that or being with DH as he does it. I've always despised most so-called "treats" anyway probably as I was never allowed them as a child. Maybe I'm just grumpy. Huff!!

Stabbitha Thu 09-Nov-17 11:44:44

YABU

Freddos FTW

BluthsFrozenBananas Thu 09-Nov-17 11:45:39

Anyone out of their teens trying to cultivate gangster image is embarrassing, adults eating ice lollies isn’t.

blueskyinmarch Thu 09-Nov-17 11:46:00

I like a calippo and I am 55. I also love Milky Ways. There is no age limit on food. None at all.

DancesWithOtters Thu 09-Nov-17 11:47:08

DP and I are 33 and 32 and we have calippos all the time in summer.

I'm also very partial to a mini milk or a rocket.

May I recommend you take up a hobby?

LindaDeb Thu 09-Nov-17 11:54:09

I promise I am not some parsimonious health nut or curtain twitching vicar's wife! But really I just couldn't imagine DH or myself having really any of the things that have been mentioned. Perhaps I will rephrase and not try and set an age limit for anyone else. I assumed others had their own personal age limits for food items as well. I will eat my hat (age limit) - to each their own!

ForagingForFaerieGold Thu 09-Nov-17 11:54:35

Ah. Wait till you're my age. I don't care what anyone thinks of me. (Not that I ever did much) and NOBODY is taking my chocolate buttons away from me. So there! Ner! 😛

LoverOfCake Thu 09-Nov-17 11:56:16

<adds iced gems to online shop>

60sname Thu 09-Nov-17 11:58:54

No way, you'll have to take the twisters/gummy sweets/lemon squash from my cold dead hands

MarmiteAndPB Thu 09-Nov-17 12:01:17

I don't think there's an age limit on what foods are "suitable" for adults, but there are certainly foods that don't taste as good to me now as they used to. I used to love Calippos but when I tried one last summer it was just too sweet and artificial tasting for me to enjoy it. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen eating it if I did still like it though, and certainly wouldn't think to laugh over the idea of other adults eating them!

ProfessorCat Thu 09-Nov-17 12:01:42

I'm so glad I'm not your husband. Imagine having to be embarrassed over the food I ate or the things I chose to like. No thanks.

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 09-Nov-17 12:02:21

Shakes head and goes for a nice sit down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now