Talk

Advanced search

To wish that using capital letters when posting was not seen to be inappropriate.

(23 Posts)
mountford100 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:48:56

I know using capital letters when posting, is the height of bad manners, however at least you can see the bloody letters.

Most of the time i can't see half the words written in lower case letters; also when i reply to postings i often end up with grammatical and punctuation errors !
I am sure this is down to not being able to see what iv'e written as much as dyslexia and Irlens syndrome.

This occurred to me after reading a posting today, that was in capital letters. The meanings of the post were irrelevant , but it meant i had no problem reading it.

RB68 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:51:06

get your eyes checked - in the mean time make your screen bigger - if you have a finger pad on the keyboard use two fingers at the same time and move them apart and it shld zoom in.

PurplePillowCase Wed 08-Nov-17 21:51:58

when have you last have your eyes checked?

Oddmanout Wed 08-Nov-17 21:52:21

Increase the magnification level or font size on your page. Simple.

theymademejoin Wed 08-Nov-17 22:24:02

All capitals slows down reading for most people as we use the shape of the word to help up decipher it. You can't do that if it's all capitals.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 08-Nov-17 22:32:28

HAVE YOU TRIED CHANGING THE COLOUR SETTINGS IN MUMSNET SO THAT IT HAS A COLOUR WHICH IS EASIER TO READ. OR YOU CAN GET IRLEN COMPUTER OVERLAYS.

I HAVEN'T REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT IT BEFORE BUT MAYBE BECAUSE THE CAPITALS ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE THEY DON'T MINGLE BETWEEN LINES AS MUCH AS SAY A p AND A b WOULD. DO YOU FIND IT EVERYWHERE OR JUST ON MUMSNET?

mountford100 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:36:14

Thank you Should. Your'e writing in capital letters, is so much easier to follow. RESISTING THE URGE TO WRITE IN UPPER CASE !

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 08-Nov-17 22:38:25

DO YOU HAVE IRLEN GLASSES? DO YOU NEED TO GET THE COLOURS CHECKED? THAT MIGHT HELP.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 08-Nov-17 22:39:14

I FIGURE IT IS YOUR THREAD SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE ABLE TO READ IT!

mountford100 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:40:54

I am okay for instance if i am using Word 2016 and writing a formal document essay etc. Though often i can't tell the difference between non 'bold' italics and Calibri writing styles .

Tippz Wed 08-Nov-17 22:41:02

LOL all these posts in CAPS look so weird!

PurplePillowCase Wed 08-Nov-17 22:42:52

SERIOUSLY, GET YOUR EYES CHECKED

PickAChew Wed 08-Nov-17 22:43:05

I have a fairly strong astigmatism that is never properly corrected. I find ALLCAPS bloody painful to try to read because there is a lack of white space and too many stark horizontal and vertical lines, relative to nice, easy curves (horizontal lines appear faint, for me, even with my vision corrected). Appropriately used lower case is much easier for me to read because i can decipher the shape of the whole word as well as the individual letters. In ALLCAPS that shape is mostly lost.

Tippz Wed 08-Nov-17 22:43:26

OP, just click the control (ctrl) button on your keyboard (bottom left usually,) and the PLUS key (top right usually,) 2 or 3 times, and everything will magnify.

Do it again but with the minus key to put it back to normal. smile

mountford100 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:43:32

I do have 'Irlen ' glasses and yes it does make a difference, when i am not rushing to get a post out.

PickAChew Wed 08-Nov-17 22:44:45

Just to add that, TBH, I would have thought that people with Irlen's syndrome would have the same problems with lack of white space and word shape.

Tippz Wed 08-Nov-17 22:45:03

Actually @Mountford100 doing this ONCE will do it I think. It increases all the text by 10%! (Control and the plus key!)

mountford100 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:54:05

I have got my Irlen specialized glasses on and increased the page up to 200% and i know it sounds obvious ; but their is an improvement in my comprehension.

White and black backgrounds are not the best, i prefer Yellow or Orange filters.

I understand it was a bit of unusual posting , but i just wanted to see if other people have similar difficulties ; and does it effect their writing.

mountford100 Wed 08-Nov-17 22:55:44

There is an improvement..... spoke too soon

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 08-Nov-17 22:57:35

PurplePillowChase (s)he probably has had her eyes checked before each Irlen prescription update. You can have "20:20" vision yet still have difficulty seeing words. Irlens is a perceptual disability not a visual one, so the eyes work perfectly well but the brain can't interpret the signals correctly.

I think the word shape and lack of white space would probably have different impacts on different people. Have a look at this clip to see the different ways in which people might experience print distortions m.youtube.com/watch?v=FARizLljRkc I can imagine that caps might help with some of them.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 08-Nov-17 23:08:00

THERE IS A WAY TO CHANGE HOW YOU SEE POSTS BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER OR SEE HOW TO DO IT. I SEE ALL OP POSTS WITH GREEN BACKGROUND AND MINE IN PINK. YOU CAN CUSTOMISE IT THOUGH TO YOUR PREFERRED COLOURS. MAYBE ASK IN SITE STUFF HOW TO DO IT.

PurplePillowCase Wed 08-Nov-17 23:22:49

thanks should very interesting!

I had no idea about this condition.

OP I HOPE YOU FIND A WAY SO YOU CAN READ BETTER

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 10-Nov-17 09:13:26

Lots of people don't know about it PurplePillowCase but glasses can transform people's experiences and ability to achieve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now