Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed by open train windows

(92 Posts)
stressedinsurrey Wed 08-Nov-17 19:49:41

Today it’s 5 degrees outside and someone just got on my uncrowded train carriage and threw open several windows and it’s now freezing. Yesterday someone got on who looked like they had run or cycled to the station (sweaty) and politely asked if I would mind if she opened the window (a window that would blow directly in my face). She gave me daggers when I said I’d rather she didn’t. Less annoyed by the polite person of course but she did make me feel I was BU. If it was crowded or hot I’d understand it, but it’s 5 degrees! I’m wearing a coat, scarf and gloves as it is! AIBU?

InspMorse Wed 08-Nov-17 19:52:18

YABU.
Trains are smelly & stuffy. I always open the window nearest to me on the train.

TwinkleTwinkleLittleEtoile Wed 08-Nov-17 19:57:01

Depends on how busy your train is. My morning train is like sardines. Anybody stood up has no room to take coat, gloves etc off, and no way of holding them, and so you can get very hot. If I miraculously get a seat I don't mind those standing choosing to open or close windows. I'm more comfortable than them if I'm sitting down.

Urubu Wed 08-Nov-17 20:00:25

Crowded train, or if it smells bad why not. But except that YANBU

Seeingadistance Wed 08-Nov-17 20:08:00

Why don't you shut the windows, or at least those closest to you?

PandorasXbox Wed 08-Nov-17 20:13:50

You were wrapped up and inside! I wouldn’t tell someone they couldn’t open a window that they obviously needed opening for whatever reason!

blackteasplease Wed 08-Nov-17 20:16:20

Yanbu. People who run hot just think that those who run cold always have to now to their "requirements.

engineersthumb Wed 08-Nov-17 20:19:15

YABU.
It's hot onboarding trains you could always move to another "hot " carriage... oh but I guess your argument is "why should I move"!

kaytee87 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:20:20

Why wouldn’t you want fresh air in these germ tubes that we call trains smile

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 08-Nov-17 20:23:09

People who run hot just think that those who run cold always have to now to their "requirements. Huh? Magically; people who are always cold are better human beings than the reverse? What a load of bollocks.

PandorasXbox Wed 08-Nov-17 20:25:06

I’m one of those freaks that suffers from the cold and has a “million” hot flushes every day. Good old fibromyalgia and menopause! If I get on a train when I’m freezing that could change in 10 seconds to where I’m feeling like I’m going to faint because I’m that hot. I wouldn’t want to upset someone by opening a window but honestly if I didn’t I would feel really unwell.

stressedinsurrey Wed 08-Nov-17 20:34:21

I get the crowded carriage thing. I know how warm it gets with hundreds of sweaty people packed in, but not when it’s half empty surely? Does anyone throw open their windows at home when it’s 5 degrees? I’m way too British to go round shutting windows when someone’s just opened them! 😁

Hidingalion Wed 08-Nov-17 20:36:10

I always have windows a bit open, all year.

kaytee87 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:38:04

4 degrees here today and I had windows open. I open windows in my house everyday no matter how cold it is. Fresh air is good for you.

PandorasXbox Wed 08-Nov-17 20:38:14

Honestly I have my bedroom windows open all year round. If I get too hot during the day I open my stable door. I love a breeze. But the next minute my arse is burning on the red hot radiator!

You might be less likely to catch someone’s horrible lurgy with the windows open. Every silver lining wink

MonkeyJumping Wed 08-Nov-17 20:42:26

If you're cold, you can put on more layers or move around to warm up. If somebody else is too hot they can't strip off on a train, so in general I think hot people should win.

Also some of us are more sensitive to the stuffiness of trains than others.

My windows are open year round, I really hate having no fresh air.

DancingHouse Wed 08-Nov-17 20:44:49

Yabu. I'd rather be cold with fresh air in any space than hot and stuffy.

BernardBlacksHangover Wed 08-Nov-17 20:45:50

If I get too hot during the day I open my stable door. I love a breeze. But the next minute my arse is burning on the red hot radiator!

Sorry for random derail; surely you don’t open windows when you’ve got the heating on though?

Fluffyears Wed 08-Nov-17 20:46:40

It’s usually someone with a massive coat on that opens the window. They don’t get the breeze on a train it hits full force the person 5 seats behind them 😡. Take your massive coat off first!

Itchytights Wed 08-Nov-17 20:48:25

YABU.

Trains are stuffy and yukky.

Nowt wrong with a bit of fresh air.

Windows open all the time here too in this house.

kaytee87 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:49:08

Sorry for random derail; surely you don’t open windows when you’ve got the heating on though?

Obviously this is a massive waste of energy but it’s a good way to combat damp.

Itchytights Wed 08-Nov-17 20:49:17

I'm with Dancing

Couldn't agree more.

ForalltheSaints Wed 08-Nov-17 20:49:19

YANBU. In time all the old trains will have been replaced and will have air conditioning. In the north this may be about 20 years time.

dudsville Wed 08-Nov-17 20:53:43

I travel to work by bus. Some of my colleagues walk. I arrive cold because of the open windows on the bus. My colleagues come in and open the windows. I offer fresh cold air to sharing close quarters with someone but it does get chilly. I have sympathy for you op. I'm on the fence. Cold but appreciative of the fresh air!

PandorasXbox Wed 08-Nov-17 20:55:06

Bernard the bedroom windows are opened at night, but during the day if I’m having a hot flush I just open the stable door in the kitchen to cool down. Menopausal woes 😬

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now