Talk

Advanced search

To freeze prepared fresh vegetables

(16 Posts)
Lenl Wed 08-Nov-17 17:15:49

Not really AIBU but want the traffic. Can you chop fresh veg up then freeze it? I find bags of frozen veg tend to be a bit chewy or soggy. But we eat loads of veg and it's chopping it etc that takes the time every evening. Could I chop fresh broccoli/cauliflower/peppers/celeriac etc and freeze it or will it be weird when defrosted?

TeaBelle Wed 08-Nov-17 17:18:19

No, should be fine esp if you are going to cook it anyway

MadamPatti Wed 08-Nov-17 17:22:10

I do this mainly with beans I harvest from the Lottie in summer. It’s a great idea, especially if you’ve chopped them.

megletthesecond Wed 08-Nov-17 17:22:15

I chop and freeze peppers, onion, courgette and mushrooms. I freeze basil in ice cube trays of olive oil then stir into pasta sauce.

HardHatForTesco Wed 08-Nov-17 17:24:24

With some veg the texture changes after freezing - experiment with small quantities and see what works for you. I wouldn't use frozen carrots on their own but find them fine for soups/stews etc. I always chop and freeze leeks
I wouldn't bother freezing broccoli it's better fresh and is so quick to prepare anyway. Peppers will go soft but would be ok for some dishes.

OldWitch00 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:29:02

The texture often changes but are fine cooked in stews and dishes that are simmered for a few minutes. Grated carrots and zucchini are very good cooked in muffins.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 08-Nov-17 17:32:37

I freeze chopped celery (we only ever need a handful in recipes so a whole head goes to waste) with no noticeable difference in taste or texture. Also cubed swede because we never eat a whole one and doing the horrible chopping in one go makes life easier.

EatsFartsAndLeaves Wed 08-Nov-17 19:14:38

Save yourself the hassle entirely and just buy it frozen. Many things lose texture when frozen but this is minimised by the flash (very fast) freezing techniques used commercially, so it's a no-brainer to buy stuff ready frozen IMO.

Sunshineandshopping Wed 08-Nov-17 19:16:44

Cauliflower is good frozen.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 08-Nov-17 19:18:54

I've never seen frozen celery in any shop...? I do buy frozen chopped onions and garlic.

TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Wed 08-Nov-17 19:21:09

Cauli romanesco and celeriac work fine haven't tried broccoli yet peppers can be a bit soft but depends what you want to do with them. Turnip also works well

ILoveMillhousesDad Wed 08-Nov-17 19:24:27

Spinach freezes great (not that you have to chop it but the bags are massive.) I section a couple of handfuls per freezer bag and use them in my shakes.

Ttbb Wed 08-Nov-17 19:24:31

Only if you intend to put them in soup. Freezing in a regular freezer destroys most veg.

SparklyUnicornPoo Wed 08-Nov-17 19:32:15

I do it all the time, just remember to freeze veg either spread out on a tray first so they don't stick together, or in portion size bags. Pepper goes floppy when defrosted, its fine if you are cooking it but not if you were planning to just defrost it, Raw sweet potatoes and normal potatoes go funny, but cooked before freezing are fine, same with beetroot.

goodnessidontknow Wed 08-Nov-17 19:46:31

Things like pots and carrots are better if blanched then cooled quickly before freezing. Onion, pepper etc can be frozen without any prep.

ecosln Wed 08-Nov-17 19:49:30

We go to pyo veg farm and then chop and freeze onions and carrots in cling film balls that are roughly one carrot / onion. Sometimes use magimix to chop as only use in stews soups etc.

Onions when frozen SMELL so put in a Tupperware too! Whole kitchen stank the next morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now