Talk

Advanced search

To ask how I can sell jewellery without having to go to a dealer/broker?

(4 Posts)
Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Wed 08-Nov-17 16:50:06

I have a ring that an ex bought me approx 6/7 years ago for about £400. Supposedly insured at £800 but I haven’t seen the insurance certificate for years and have no idea if it’s remotely accurate. It’s 18ct gold with a blue saffire (oval, approx 6mm by 8mm) shouldered by two much smaller diamonds (round, 2-3mm diameter). Not a clue about weights!

I’m sure it’s not worth a huge amount but with Christmas coming up, being in the middle of buying a house and about to go on (a very poorly timed in retrospect) holiday, a couple of hundred extra pounds in the bank would definitely be welcome! The problem is, I have no idea how to sell it without going to a shop which a) sounds horrendous and b) I currently have no time to do! I assume I’ll get next to nothing on eBay. Is there any online sites that deal with stuff like this and aren’t horrendous? I’m honestly just tempted to put it on Facebook marketplace for £150 😳

nocake Wed 08-Nov-17 18:16:15

Most shops will give you the scrap value. The value of the gold and stones, and it will be the trade value (you'll be shocked how little the stones are actually worth). Unless it's antique or by a notable designer your best option is eBay or FB. You can put a reasonable starting price on eBay to avoid it selling for peanuts.

I sold my first wedding ring on eBay. It was a unusual design and I got a lot more than the scrap value.

RosaTheOwl Wed 08-Nov-17 18:21:34

don't assume you'll get next to nothing on ebay but do you have the right paperwork to prove it is what you say it is - people will ask, understandably.

I have sold stuff on ebay that was just siler, but I also had a gold ring with very small diamonds from an ex.There was no paperwork so I took it to a local auction house instead, as they could confirm to buyers that it was what they were saying it was, if you see what I mean. so if you have an auction place nearby, could be worth a go - they set a reserve price.

DO3271 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:32:56

Try Hatton Garden Metals online, doubt you will get any noney for stones but they offer very good prices for gold and pay the money straight into your account. I highly recommend them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now