Talk

Advanced search

To think selling used clothes is unnecessary?

(80 Posts)
Mummynotmama Wed 08-Nov-17 13:52:41

I understand selling the odd nice bit or bundles on eBay but people trying to sell EVERY old babygro, jumper etc for 50p or £1 on social media seems odd? Why not give a bag of clothes to charity shop or to friends who have younger children? Seems greedy to me hmm

Phosphorus Wed 08-Nov-17 13:53:55

Because they need the money. hmm

Wolfiefan Wed 08-Nov-17 13:54:07

Maybe they actually need the money? hmm

CoughLaughFart Wed 08-Nov-17 13:55:18

Why is it greedy? Baby clothes are expensive; he’ll, babies in general are expensive. What’s it to you if some struggling mum makes a couple of quid?

BenLui Wed 08-Nov-17 13:56:38

You've got to be kidding or goady *Mummynotmama?

Surely no one can be that unaware of the world around them?

Given the effort involved in doing this, I doubt anyone would sell the sort of items you are describing unless they really need the money, so I think YABU to call it greedy.

Mummynotmama Wed 08-Nov-17 13:57:47

I guess it just seems a lot of hard work doing all the postage etc for £1! I don't have a lot of money so get my kids clothes from charity shops and would feel cheeky selling them on!

witchofzog Wed 08-Nov-17 13:59:11

£1 is a loaf of bread or some milk. Yes some people are that hard up. It's not greedy if you are skint

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:59:28

Childrens clothes are expensive. We have two DCs 12 and 6 and they both seem to do their growing at the exact same time and suddenly nothing in their wardrobes fit; replacing two lots of uniforms, shoes, coats etc is a bloody expensive game. DS1 is 12 and already wears a man's size small because he's just so, so tall. His Dad is 6 foot 6 so I imagine these growth spurts will continue for several years yet.

We have lots of friends with DCs similar ages to ours so I hand stuff on but if we were short of money I'd absolutely sell stuff on. It just makes sense to do it if you could do with the money.

PavlovianLunge Wed 08-Nov-17 13:59:45

We all do things that are unnecessary. If people choose to try and sell their possessions, rather then give them away, that’s their prerogative. Also, you don’t know what they’ll do with the money; they might donate to charity, put food on the table, or squander it on fags and scratch cards. Their choice.

I’m more vexed by super-rich tax-avoiders.

Mxyzptlk Wed 08-Nov-17 13:59:59

If it's on a local site, they probably don't need any postage.

Some people are very short of money and have to do whatever they can.

IWouldLikeToKnow Wed 08-Nov-17 14:00:45

I get where you are coming from. It seems like a lot of trouble to me. And I know people who do it and I know they aren’t in the breadline. They earn the same as I do. Not that I’m rich - far from it - but wouldn’t want the hassle for the sake of such a small amount of money. I much prefer to give them to the charity shop if they are in decent condition.

InDubiousBattle Wed 08-Nov-17 14:02:50

Obviously it depends on how much you need £1 doesn't it op.

Mummynotmama Wed 08-Nov-17 14:03:19

I understand that some people are hard up and would use the money for food - I posted as some friends I know are definitely not hard up, although I hadn't thought that they may have the money to charity. I'll make it stop bothering me now grin

PickAChew Wed 08-Nov-17 14:03:20

It's not something I could be arsed with but I don't get why it bothers you.

PoppyPopcorn Wed 08-Nov-17 14:04:38

More hassle than it's worth IMHO but I can understand why people do it.

BenLui Wed 08-Nov-17 14:04:47

Mummy it’s always dangerous to assume that you understand other people’s finances.

Mummynotmama Wed 08-Nov-17 14:06:54

I definitely don't understand other people's finances (don't even understand my own!) My original post was with my friends in mind who have PLENTY of money grin

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Wed 08-Nov-17 14:10:17

For some people every penny counts! Literally.

sooperdooper Wed 08-Nov-17 14:11:16

If they've got plenty of money this is probably one of the reasons why! They're frugal, so they then have money to spend on other things, why not

Clandestino Wed 08-Nov-17 14:11:39

My original post was with my friends in mind who have PLENTY of money grin

Not all people were born into money or grew up surrounded by the feeling that they have so much they don't need to care about every penny. I know people who only became rich later on in their lives (or their parents did) and those would be the ones who are still looking at price tags and trying to get some money in return from their own purchases.

StarUtopia Wed 08-Nov-17 14:12:13

How do you know your friends have plenty of money?

We are absolutely skint. I'm well aware though that to outsiders we might look like we're not.

expatinscotland Wed 08-Nov-17 14:12:41

Yeah, YABU. Greedy has to be one of the most unpleasant terms in the English language, mostly because it's so misused. What do you care if other people sell on clothes? If it bothers you, don't do it. Problem solved.

brasty Wed 08-Nov-17 14:16:08

I don't know why people bother selling really old second hand cars. I mean they only get a couple of hundred pounds for them. Hardly worth the effort.

TakeMe2Insanity Wed 08-Nov-17 14:17:58

You say that you know they are nit hard up but maybe thats how they keep up the façade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now