Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask how long you wait in the dentist?

(33 Posts)
Heckneck Wed 08-Nov-17 10:58:56

My appointment was 10:50 and I've got to be at work for 11:40. AIBU to cancel if I've still not been seen by 11:20? Takes me about ten mins to get from here too work. Why are they always so late. Wouldn't mind if it was just a check up but they've buggered up my filling so now in pain.

IjustbelieveinMe Wed 08-Nov-17 10:59:51

Same it's usually a 45 min wait at least

clockworklime Wed 08-Nov-17 11:10:26

About 30 minutes for me

AlphaBites Wed 08-Nov-17 11:17:23

10 mins tops - I'm a bit shock at some of you waiting that long !

Glumglowworm Wed 08-Nov-17 11:17:30

I went last week and was only about 10 minutes behind schedule (mid morning appointment). I was very quick though so may have helped get him caught up.

Heckneck Wed 08-Nov-17 11:20:58

It's awful here 30 mins now and still waiting.

user1471459936 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:21:02

I'd wait 10 mins.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Wed 08-Nov-17 11:22:11

On the bright side, if you leave, that will cut the waiting tine down for others behind you grin

U2HasTheEdge Wed 08-Nov-17 11:22:12

An hour has been the longest. 45 minutes is the average.

Never waited less than 30 minutes.

Juanbablo Wed 08-Nov-17 11:22:44

Usually 20 minutes late. I don't know why but they are always running over. Waiting in a hot and tiny reception room with 3 kids is not fun.

PandorasXbox Wed 08-Nov-17 11:30:30

I don’t wait a minute longer than my appointment time! It’s a private surgery though so that might be why.

MrsExpo Wed 08-Nov-17 11:35:57

Just a few minutes ... usually just long enough to read my horoscope in one of the glossy magazines they have in the waiting room smile. Can't believe some of you have to wait all that time ....... what's the point of having an appointment system?

Sgtmajormummy Wed 08-Nov-17 11:43:32

Private dentist here, too.
I have said on a couple of occasions, after 30 minutes and in the "nicest" possible voice: "If there's much longer to wait I can always come back another day..." That has also been when I wasn't in pain.flowers

But I do realise they might have had an emergency before my appointment and are still catching up.

Nikephorus Wed 08-Nov-17 11:55:02

But I do realise they might have had an emergency before my appointment and are still catching up.
They should still tell you though when you arrive. My dentist never says anything so I'm sat there getting more and more anxious. That & the repeated cancelled appointments are why I'm thinking of changing dentists.

Cactusjelly00 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:55:59

I don't wait, I'm always called in at my appointment time... I don't live in the UK though.

theymademejoin Wed 08-Nov-17 11:58:59

That's why I always ask for the first appointment of the day. Obviously not an option for an emergency though.

MillyMollyMardy Wed 08-Nov-17 11:59:31

Dentist here. We do try to run to time but cannot always and often people come in for a routine check up with problems which always takes longer.
Ask the receptionist how long they think it might be and say you have to be somewhere by X O'clock.
If they are NHS they will have Friends and Family Feedback forms fill one in and ask for the receptionists to keep waiting patients informed. It's a fair point not knowing how long the wait is especially when you have somewhere to get to just makes people anxious.

JaniceBattersby Wed 08-Nov-17 12:00:28

Always shown straight through. Can always get a same day appt for me or the kids. Dentist is amazing. Can’t fault it,

We pay privately £13per month each and we get two check ups and two hygienist appointments per year for that. There’s no NHS dentist where we are so no choice but to be private. They do treat the kids on the NHS though.

bigbluebus Wed 08-Nov-17 12:21:35

Usually seen on time or at the worst 5 mins after appointment time - and I'm an NHS patient in a practice that sees both private and NHS.

A friend once had an argument with her dentist after they tried to charge her a fee for not turning up for her appointment on time (she was 10 mins late which is a whole appointment if you are only having a check up).She told them she'd pay the fee as long as they paid her the same amount when they kept her waiting 10 mins! I don't think she won that argument though!

Sophieelmer Wed 08-Nov-17 12:24:15

Previously at least 30mins because the dentist likes to have a chat with every single patient! I just want you to check my teeth!!! Now see a dentist that realises not everyone needs to be put a t ease and just gets on with it

thetemptationofchocolate Wed 08-Nov-17 12:26:14

Last time I went I'd waited half an hour past my appointment time & was working myself up into a frenzy of fear. I went to the reception desk to ask how much longer it would be (and to my embarrassment burst into tears while doing it sad ) but I had to wait while they told off a client for being late to their appointment. Even in my terrified state I could appreciate the irony of that.

Firesuit Wed 08-Nov-17 12:28:10

I went in for a half-hour appointment once, and it ended up taking more than an hour. Just turned out more difficult then expected, for the dentist. Felt sorry for the next person waiting.

MagicTapeDispenser Wed 08-Nov-17 12:32:08

Never more than five minutes. It’s a private practice, with brilliant client centred care. The staff there are fully aware that, for many people, delays cause increased anxiety and a high likelihood that they’ll bolt out the door before being seen.

CoffeeBreakIn5 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:36:37

No more than 5 minutes and it's a busy nhs dentist surgery.

expatmigrant Wed 08-Nov-17 12:36:43

10 mins max or I am very likely to walk out. Private practice so I expect them to be on time for the money I have to pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now