Talk

Advanced search

To want a lego set for Christmas?

(20 Posts)
Librarybooksandacoconut Wed 08-Nov-17 08:43:54

Is it deeply weird to ask dh to get me this for Christmas? shop.lego.com/en-GB/Creator-Expert-Sets

I'm a 30 something mother who has no interest in geeky stuff usually (although I loved lego as a child), but in trying to buy lego for my SEN intervention groups, I came across these and now I'm massively lusting after one. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who has developed a regression to their childhood?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Wed 08-Nov-17 08:48:49

Meh- if you can afford it, get it!

DH bought me the Care Bears Nutcracker on VHS last year, knowing I'd love it! You're an individual...own it!

mygorgeousmilo Wed 08-Nov-17 08:52:04

YANBU but which one - it just takes you to a page with all of the creator sets. I secretly covet the tower Bridge set, and we all enjoy doing the various smaller sets that the children get at Christmas. My husband loves doing puzzles, it’s not weird for us!

FlouncyDoves Wed 08-Nov-17 08:53:54

Have you seen their architecture sets? They’re pretty cool.

Sarahjconnor Wed 08-Nov-17 08:56:16

AFOL is a real thing - adult fans of lego. One of my many DB is in a club:

www.brickish.org

FlouncyDoves Wed 08-Nov-17 08:56:22

[https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Studio-21050]

SootSprite Wed 08-Nov-17 08:57:56

Nothing wrong with a bit of lego. I’m mid 40’s and still get lego for my birthday every year 👍🏻

Librarybooksandacoconut Wed 08-Nov-17 08:58:16

I think I fancy one of the town sets, and then building a whole town. It could be the entry to a rather expensive hobby.

I looked at the architecture sets but none particularly appealed.

MaroonPencil Wed 08-Nov-17 09:00:16

Why not? Nobody bats an eyelid when adults do jigsaws. Same thing really, just 3D!

redexpat Wed 08-Nov-17 09:19:13

The advert banner at the top of this thread is showing me a lego winter toyshop that is tempting!

thelastredwinegum Wed 08-Nov-17 09:20:31

As an AFOL yaddddddnbu!

TheQueenOfWands Wed 08-Nov-17 09:23:29

I bought DP the Lego Ghostbusters car kit but he's still not played with it.

Librarybooksandacoconut Wed 08-Nov-17 09:28:53

Well I sent dh the link, and he replied with a picture of the set saying 'is this correct, it was not what I was expecting?'. I confirmed he did indeed have the right thing, and he said ok. So I'm going to spend December and January neglecting ds and telling him not to touch mummy's toy.

ijustwannadance Wed 08-Nov-17 09:30:47

Do it, do it, do it.....

But be warned, it's a slippery slope. grin

(I might have quite a lot of lego)

ijustwannadance Wed 08-Nov-17 09:36:51

They are likely to retire at least one building at the end of the year. Most likely cinema or detectives office. So if you want to collect them all it might be worth getting those first before price goes up on secondary market.

Just noticed on link that they've re-issued the taj mahal from years ago. Fingers crossed they'll re-do some of the older buildings too, like Green grocer.

Nousernameforme Wed 08-Nov-17 09:37:16

I got Wall-e last year I had a very peaceful time building him and he looks amazing on my shelf. I would love some of the large buildings but we don't have the money or the space.
Go for it op.

Bumblesbees Wed 08-Nov-17 09:42:38

you won't regret it.

SerendipityFelix Wed 08-Nov-17 09:42:41

It is indeed a slippery slope, but YANBU, go for it! I have 4 of the modular city buildings and they bring me great pleasure, I do now have need-to-collect-them-all-itis though. As well as a few of the ideas sets that appealed (just ordered the Women of NASA one) and some fun little bits relating to mine & DP’s jobs dotted around the place. I have winter village stuff as well so at the end of this month the city buildings will be broken down and put away and I’ll build the winter stuff, then next year I can rebuild the city again gradually.

Plus the building process is essentially therapeutic for me - along the lines of doing jigsaws or adult colouring books, it’s active mindfulness, very relaxing.

Lego are re-releasing the Taj Mahal at the end of the month - I think that’ll be my xmas pressie to myself 😄

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Wed 08-Nov-17 09:48:31

I regularly get bought Lego sets for birthdays and Christmas. They go on display for a few months (sometimes more) then taken apart and rebuilt in a year or so. (And I'm nearer 50 than 40!)

DistractedByIrrelevance Wed 08-Nov-17 09:49:05

I have Lego that I tell DS not to play with 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now