Talk

Advanced search

To not know what to expect?

(11 Posts)
justilou1 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:53:47

I am a little foot-phobic. While I don't stare in horror at other people's feet, the idea of anyone seeing or touching mine makes me feel ill. Of course, because Karma's a bitch, I have badly in-grown toenails and need surgery. I am quietly freaking out - which is crazy as I have had three babies from two c-sections and a couple of other, big surgeries and come through better than fine. (I have no expectation that this will kill me, btw - I just HATE the idea of anyone touching my feet or inflicting pain upon them!!!). Has anyone had a phenol matrixectomy (both sides of both big toes) and can tell me what to expect? (I am not stupid enough to youtube it.)

MaidOfStars Wed 08-Nov-17 00:04:37

Rubber band around base of toe.
Local anaesthetic injection.
Lots of wiggling/prodding until you can't feel anything.
Sharp scissors vertically down the side of the nail and ingrown area pulled out.
Phenol added to now exposed section of nailbed to prevent regrowth from there.
Dressings.
Hobble for a couple of days.
And hopefully, if it works as well as mine did, never get even a hint of a problem again (I had mine done 25 years ago, and I am heavy on my feet - lots of sports/running, whatever footwear I fancy).

Good luck!

justilou1 Wed 08-Nov-17 05:49:16

Thanks, Maid of Stars! I am getting both done at the same time because I suspect I'd chicken out and never return for the second foot if I don't!

thegamblersmrs Wed 08-Nov-17 06:19:48

I was in the chair ready to get it but cancelled. The healing time was too long, I’m on my feet constantly and exercise daily. They recommended more rest time than I could give.

I’ve had the nails cut out at either side without the chemical, one done last week. Took 2 minutes, didn’t have any anaesthetic just a sharp scalpel and tweezers. Much quicker healing time but will grow back.

Pickleypickles Wed 08-Nov-17 06:57:23

I had both mine done about 2 years ago.
The local anisthetic was the worst bit. But recovery is quick (barring complications) and you should be pretty much pain free in a week. Even before then it was never a horrible pain for me just a bit like a dull throbby ache.

Oh and try not to stub your toe 2 days later!! That really hurts.

Goldfingers Wed 08-Nov-17 07:30:45

You can watch on you tube I did so I knew what to expect. It's superb. I was in ballet pumps for a few weeks and had a mild phenol flare so needed redressing a few times a week. Nuisance that you have to keep it dry but 2 years in I've had no problems. Healing pain was far less than the ingrown pain. I felt fine afterwards but had a nap and then felt rubbish so go home feet up for the weekend and have painkillers at the ready. Felt fine next day.

justilou1 Thu 09-Nov-17 03:53:09

I did it! Thanks Mumsnet superstars! Glad I got both done, because I honestly don't think I'd come back again for more of the anaesthetic shots. The anaesthetic sucked, and my reflex to kick while getting the first needle didn't do me any favours either, but the podiatrist was safe and it's all over! Yay!

abbsisspartacus Thu 09-Nov-17 03:55:39

Well done 😁

steff13 Thu 09-Nov-17 05:08:14

They gave my son general anesthetic when he had his done. His were very infected, though.

Gross anecdote - last year, when he was 17, I kept finding my son's socks with holes in the toes. Every time I would sort the laundry, I'd find his socks, with holes in the toes. I had no idea what was going on. Then one day I was doing laundry and I came out of the laundry room, and there was the dog, laying in a the pile of dirty socks/underwear, chewing a hole in the toe of one of his socks.

He came home from school that day, and I said, "let me see your feet." He initially told me no, but I insisted. He took his shoes and socks off, and his big toes looked like when a cartoon character hits his thumb with a hammer - red, swollen, oozing. I don't know how he walked around like that. And I never would have known if our gross dog hadn't been gnawing the pus from the ends of his socks. envy (not envy).

He didn't want to go to the doctor, but a couple days after the surgery, he thanked me for making him. He said the pain from the surgery was less than what he was walking around with every day. If the dummy had just said something to us, we could have had it taken care of a long time ago.

justilou1 Thu 09-Nov-17 05:20:04

WHOAH! BLEURGH! Poor guy!!! Mine weren't infected, thank goodness. I got it done because I am losing flexibility in my hips (arthritis) and won't be able to do the minor home surgery required to cut them myself when I am an old woman.
Interestingly, my dog is obsessed with any healing wounds and has been sniffing my toes already. (YUCK!) She would lick them if I gave her half a chance.

steff13 Thu 09-Nov-17 05:25:34

Ours is too. If I cut my leg shaving or something, she'll try to lick it and chance she gets. They're awesome, but also disgusting. 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: