Talk

Advanced search

To quit my job because it is turning me into a mean person?

(35 Posts)
Silvergoldshine Tue 07-Nov-17 21:16:24

It's low pay, high stress, anti social hours and difficult situations and people.

I find I feel so angry when working but have to reign it in, then it all comes out later.

I want to quit immediately. I do actually have another job but it doesn't start until January.

Wibu to quit now?

Swizzlesticks23 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:17:36

Look for temp work till January it's prob the best time what with Christmas coming up.

Then once you find something to tie you over you can leave and be smug you have a new job 😊😊😊

ChasedByBees Tue 07-Nov-17 21:35:09

Do you have enough savings to tide you over?

Silvergoldshine Tue 07-Nov-17 21:36:35

It would be tight but yes, just about

Babyroobs Tue 07-Nov-17 21:37:52

I'm quitting mine - low pay, sometimes difficult angry people but also some lovely ones. I do have another job alongside this one though.

Wiggles9408 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:38:55

Yeah get out of there! Life’s too short to be this unhappy at work, if you’ve got any holiday hours try and out then in before handing in your notice, I agree maybe find something temp for a while, with Christmas around the corner everywhere need extra staff on board smile good luck OP!

Silvergoldshine Tue 07-Nov-17 21:40:35

Good point re the holiday. I dont know about christmas work though.

iggleypiggly Tue 07-Nov-17 21:41:47

Do it. Don't make yourself unwell. If you can get by, look for Christmas jobs to tide you over! smile

ChasedByBees Wed 08-Nov-17 08:04:23

If you have the savings, I would (and have in the past).

Dozer Wed 08-Nov-17 08:07:52

Unless your mental health is bad at present, in which case get signed off sick, or you can line up a temp job, it’d be better to bumble through IMO, for financial reasons. If you know you’re leaving that in itself is a boost.

Silvergoldshine Wed 08-Nov-17 08:09:41

It's not though, dozer. It should be, but just isn't. I feel impatient, irritable, angry, I dread going in so much I don't massively enjoy my free time. I'm next in Thursday evening and I will dread it all day tomorrow.

WomblingThree Wed 08-Nov-17 08:25:19

Ultimately only you can decide though. Everyone can tell you their experiences and give advice, but you will do what you want to do, so it’s a fairly pointless question really.

nomad5 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:30:20

If you definitely have another job lined up for January, can you do some Christmas work? I've done high stress work and I can honestly say I would have rather worked in a supermarket or done a Christmas retail job or something else for a few months to tide me over!!

If you got a job somewhere retail you could get a discount on Christmas presents perhaps!

Lily2007 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:35:23

If the other job is 100 percent guaranteed then fine to quit now as you can afford it.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 08-Nov-17 08:40:10

You have another job to go.
You have savings to tide you over.
Your Job is making you very unhappy, plus it's not fair on your family.
Yes I'd say get out.

fishonabicycle Wed 08-Nov-17 08:42:19

Get a Christmas job at John Lewis or m&s ...

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 08-Nov-17 08:46:29

Makes me laugh that 'get a job' statement. As if its that easy.
You just walk in and say. Giz a job.
Oh okay start right now.
It doesn't work like that. People have to apply and be offered these jobs. You don't just 'get one'

another20 Wed 08-Nov-17 09:06:52

Depression is a continuum of stress. Don't let yourself tip into it - you sound v on the edge as the stress is colouring/consuming the rest of your life even when you are not there. Walk away for your mental health. Get a part-time short term contract for xmas if you want to - or take a breath if you can afford to.

There are some hideous employers dont indulge them if you dont need to. Good luck.

another20 Wed 08-Nov-17 09:08:29

All my uni mates have just got John Lewis & M&S jobs that start 1st Dec and finish 5th Jan.

coddiwomple Wed 08-Nov-17 09:25:16

How long is your notice? Can you register with temp agencies and see what's available?

Makes me laugh that 'get a job' statement. As if its that easy.
it depends where you are. If you are in London and happy to take a minimum wage role to tie you over, you can actually find temp work very easily. Not always fun, not always glamorous, but there's no lack of roles.

I know, because I have seen countless examples of firms having to recruit foreigners when they couldn't find local people. Nothing against anyone, just the obvious fact that it's harder to work with someone who barely speak English.

In my area, there's also a huge demand for cleaners. If you are not afraid of hard work, there is work to do.

kinkajoukid Wed 08-Nov-17 09:28:42

If you can afford it and the job in Jan is definite, then I vote for taking a break.

You sound like you need it, and it should mean that you can spend some time recovering and enjoying yourself for a few weeks, have a nice relaxed Christmas and then start your new job feeling fresh and in good spirits.

Not carrying over any tiredness and negativity to your new job will be invaluable and you need that to stop just for own health.

It isn't often that the chance will come up to do this so I say go for it!

number1wang Wed 08-Nov-17 09:31:12

Normally I’d say stick it out until Jan but in this case I think you should quit.

You said you can just about manage financially, you said it’s affecting the way you are (and that’ll have an effect on those close to you) and preserving your mental health is so so so important. Quit. And enjoy your time off!

BlueberryIce Wed 08-Nov-17 09:32:17

Are you a teacher OP? wink

Seriously though, of course YWNBU providing you can afford it. What would make you think you might be?

FlowerPot1234 Wed 08-Nov-17 09:39:24

If you have a new job in January, leave now and grab all the opportunities to do interesting work that tend to only come around at this time of year. So many places look for extra help now in the run up to Christmas. You could try your hand at loads of different and fascinating areas of work which you wouldn't normally get the chance to, and earn at the same time.

angelawilliams Wed 08-Nov-17 09:48:30

You say you've got enough money to tide you over till you start your new job in Jan then what is stopping you? The reality is, you don't want to feel like crap all the time and you don't need to so just quit. Too many people these days think about too much, you know you'll be fine (so what if you don't have as much money for Christmas presents this year, there will be plenty more!)

Your mental health should come before anything else. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now