Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit freaked out and wonder if any medical types can reassure me?

(28 Posts)
catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:49:53

DH has been having some on-going health issues (severe diarrhoea, abdominal pain, passing blood) which have been going on for about 6 months.

He has had a colonoscopy which was clear apart from a few polyps and his bloods were fine. The consultant decided it was severe IBS but sent him for a CT scan a few weeks ago.

This took place but we've never had the results so assumed all was fine.

Got home tonight and he's got a letter asking him to attend an ultrasound scan in 2 weeks time. No explanation and no one has contacted him regarding his CT scan results.

Now I am really worried that they have picked something up on the CT Scan and want to follow up with the ultrasound but I thought this sequence of tests would usually be the other way around.

Obviously he's going to ring his consultant in the morning but now I am really worried that there's something wrong that has shown up on the CT scan. On the other hand maybe it's just a follow up.

Does anyone know why they might request an ultrasound AFTER at CT scan and what they could be looking for sad

WineAndTiramisu Tue 07-Nov-17 19:54:30

There are certain things that are seen better on ultrasound than CT scan, usually to do with the liver and kidneys. Often simple cysts, but they need to be sure by looking with an ultrasound. I wouldn't worry, it's pretty routine and usually nothing of consequence. (A&E doctor)

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:57:04

Thank you wine thanks

He drinks far too much so I'm worried it could be his liver.

But I'm trying to tell myself if it was cancer then a) his bloods wouldn't be normal and b) they'd have him in quicker than this (CT scan was 3rd October, Ultrasound is booked for 21st November)

WishIwasinStarsHollow Tue 07-Nov-17 19:57:22

Not medical but my guess is that it may be a case of duplicate requests so GP may have requested the ultrasound before the consultant saw him and booked the CT scan and Radiology haven't picked up on the fact he's already had a CT when booking the US. Hope everything's OK and it's just an admin error flowers

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:59:31

Thanks Wish

His treatment has not been joined up at all with the different departments involved and different consultants, his GP etc so that's entirely possible. I'm just freaking out and trying not to

LemonysSnicket Tue 07-Nov-17 20:00:29

Call your doctor and ask if they have any info.
My SO has had colonoscopy, endoscopy (no seditive), numerous stool samples etc and still nothing forthcoming ...his symptoms are at least once a week he is in extreme pain and vomiting, exhaustion ...they laud IBS ...minimum 4 times a month he has to come home from work and not move... I think there is a lot left to learn about stomach and bowel issues.
But I stress your doctor should be able to tell you if the ultrasound is due to worry or just an additional alley of investigation.

MissWilmottsGhost Tue 07-Nov-17 20:01:21

Maybe it's just that he was referred for the Ct and ultrasound at the same time and the waiting time for the Ct was shorter. It's not necessarily that he ultrasound is a result of anything on the Ct.

I have sometimes been referred for more than one test at the same time, then get an appointment to go back to the consultant to review after the results for all tests are in.

Does he have a review appointment yet?

justkeeponsmiling Tue 07-Nov-17 20:01:29

Excessive drinking can cause all sorts of problems in the gastro-intestinal tract so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with that OP. I also don't think that the USS has anything to do with confirming something nasty on the CT, more likely they they didn't see anything on the CT and want to do further investigations so have booked an USS.

olympicsrock Tue 07-Nov-17 20:02:08

A surgeon here. Wine is correct

User452734838 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:02:13

Gallbladder is ultrasound. Where is the pain, on his right or left? Bloods often pick up sinister stuff like signs of cancer.

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:03:13

Sorry to hear about your DH Lemonys

It sounds similar like they are just throwing IBS in as a catch all but I have never known anyone to have IBS symptoms permanently, it's usually spasmodic which his isn't and he's been bleeding a lot but they've ruled out bowel cancer via the colonoscopy so that's good. Now I'm just worried it's something else. But it could very well be a cross over or an extra level of checking.

He's going to call the consultant first thing. Not that you can ever get through but I guess his GP will be in the loop as well

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:05:06

Thank you all

His pain is on the right fairly high up.

I am feeling reassured so thank you.

I do think he may well have liver issues which hopefully will be something very treatable and the thing to get him to stop drinking so much

His bloods were clear so that reassures me it isn't cancer. A bit anyway.

Ohmyfuck Tue 07-Nov-17 20:09:06

My little girl has constant diarrhoea and she had to have this too, just to see clearer. Still nothing obvious has shown but she's now on a lactose-free diet which has somewhat reduced her problem.

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:10:08

I hope she gets well soon OhMy thanks

User452734838 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:11:03

Liver and gallbladder on right. They may be having a look over there. Usually do a Liver function test as part of bloods though. Could be checking for gallstones although not sure about the blood in stools with that.

Caenea Tue 07-Nov-17 20:11:24

Honestly, OP, in my experience of doctors/the NHS, no news tends to be good news. It's when they're on the phone two days later or referring you inside two weeks that the worry starts.

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:13:21

I'm 90% they did do liver function as part of the bloods (which were all perfect) but I couldn't swear to it.

No news IS good news. This is probably just down to a longer waiting list than for the CT scan or something.

I guess we will have to wait and see but you've all talked me a down a couple of inches off the ceiling so thank you

GrumpyOldBag Tue 07-Nov-17 20:19:06

Ask them if it might be coeliac disease - often gets misdiagnosed as IBS.

pinkshagpile Tue 07-Nov-17 20:19:43

I had a ct scan earlier this year to check my lungs. The results showed something on my liver so I was sent for an ultrasound as they could see it better that way. Diagnosis was slight fatty liver. Have dramatically cut down alcohol intake and latest liver function tests are fine. Gp was happy but told me I must keep within government guidelines from now on.
flowers

SeaToSki Tue 07-Nov-17 20:20:25

The ultrasound does better for stuff filled with fluid, the CT is better for different types of tissue. So if it isnt just uncoordinated appointments (which I think is the most likely scenario) it might be that they saw something cyst like and want to confirm its just fluid filled.

SeaToSki Tue 07-Nov-17 20:21:43

Also, has he been overseas anywhere in the last year?

missyB1 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:25:43

With regards to the bleeding, I wonder if that is a separate issue of piles (which can bleed). Don’t assume these would be seen at the colonoscopy they often aren’t. Did they remove any polyps?

catgirl1976 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:33:50

Hi

They have ruled out Coeliac and he hasn't been overseas

They removed 4 polyps. 3 were fine one was potentially a marker of future problems but nothing to worry about now so he's having a colonoscopy every 5 years.

Given the amount he drinks I would be surprised if he didn't have a fatty liver at the very least. Perhaps it is something like this - or just an overlap of appointments.

Menarefrommarsitwouldseem Tue 07-Nov-17 22:01:34

I wouldn't worry but I know it's hard not too USS cannot evaluate the bowel at all. I would say as it's of unknown origin ( ie; no history of crohns etc) that they will be looking at everything.

Like posters have said ultrasound is extremely effective at looking at the gallbladder, liver etc and gallbladders are notoriously difficult at being evaluated fully on CT.

If there was anything suspicious on CT he would have been called much sooner.

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Tue 07-Nov-17 22:03:04

My husband had these issues due to drink and it was pancreatitis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now