Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re: jobs & personal image?

(8 Posts)
jaxom Tue 07-Nov-17 17:35:19

I've just accepted a 4th job as money is needed.

1st job is admin, the 2nd is admin elsewhere (both private sector), the 3rd and 4th are cleaning jobs (cleaning jobs pay more than the 1st admin job!)
I live in an area where full time jobs are like hens teeth; many of us locals have to take on extra work. I know a doctor's receptionist who waitresses in the evening!

The 4th cleaning job is in the same place as my 2nd admin job and I am hoping to progress within that admin job as it's really fulfilling.

In your opinion, would it affect my personal image? I am worried about my reputation being affect as I clean as well as do admin. But I need the money in the meantime before the promotion bus arrives. I enjoy cleaning, it's physical and gets me away from the desk

AIBU or should I just get the hoover out and show enthusiasm in all areas?
Thank you for reading this.

LemonShark Tue 07-Nov-17 17:39:46

It's not fair but I do think there's a risk you won't be seen as a serious candidate for progression if you're also seen cleaning. You'd think on paper it shows hard work and dedication, but even subconsciously there's a real risk of it hurting how you're perceived by management. There are some awful stereotypes out there about cleaners being thick, they may not think you're dedicated to your role if you're also diversifying into cleaning, and they may find it hard to imagine you being respected in the office by your peers who've seen you empty their bins. It shouldn't be that way but it might. Optics matter at work.

What's the promotion? Is it for a more senior admin role or a different role altogether? How much more money?

I wouldn't do it personally. Not worth risking your chances for a few extra quid unless you desperately need the money, and even then I'd look elsewhere first.

LemonShark Tue 07-Nov-17 17:41:02

As women we're already unfairly stereotyped sometimes as being the 'office mum' or default minute taker in meetings or coffee maker when seniors visit. Adding being literally the office cleaner to that isn't gonna help.

Why not submit this to ask a manager blog? She gives brilliant advice from someone in the know.

horsesflybynight Tue 07-Nov-17 17:41:24

I agree with lemon

Why are you doing 4 jobs ? Are they all very part time?

LemonShark Tue 07-Nov-17 17:43:05

www.askamanager.org/2015/07/stop-doing-the-office-housekeeping-work.html

Okay this is different as it refers to someone doing cleaning jobs on top of their normal role, but I imagine the effect will be even more intense if you're literally the cleaner.

jaxom Tue 07-Nov-17 17:47:15

Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated. . :-)

The promotion will involve a pay rise after a certain amount of time (12months) and more responsibilities. I cannot wait that long in the meantime as I am the only breadwinner in the house due to illness. It's a tough one! Jobs are scarce around here!

Fortunately, I do not live in a cutting-edge area; I guess if I was in London, I would know the answer straight away. I live in a rural community in Scotland.

It is a sad thing about a cleaner's image. My friend is a cleaner and she is training to be a counselor to level 6! The reputation she has at her workplace is as one who is extremely hard working, even though she has a debilitating illness. But you are right; only those who know her well appreciate her qualities, not associates who just see the tabbard.

jaxom Tue 07-Nov-17 18:00:17

horsesflybynight
Thank you for your post.
No, I am afraid they are not very part time - 60 hours in total.

I don't have kids and am 3 decades away from retirement (Part of money will go to private pension).

jaxom Tue 07-Nov-17 18:01:15

Lemonshark
I concur with all the posters here, thank you for the excellent link. I will have to rethink the proposition.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: