Talk

Advanced search

To send Christmas cake via air mail?

(5 Posts)
SarahH12 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:17:16

I have a friend who lives in Mauritius and for her Christmas present I want to send a little hamper type thing - with Christmas cake and things in. Can I send these via air mail? I know I have to declare whats in the parcel but does food cause an issue at customs?

TranquilityofSolitude Tue 07-Nov-17 17:23:55

The Post Office has a list of what you can and can't send here:

www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/international-what-can-i-send

However, I would think it would be extremely expensive to send a food parcel to Mauritius - you might want to investigate the cost before you buy too much.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 07-Nov-17 17:24:08

From memory, you can’t send any edible fruit or nuts to Mauritius, or coffee, tea, spices, cereals, malt, starches, wheat gluten, oil seeds, seeds or fruits, vegetable extracts, sugar or sugar confectionery, cocoa or cocoa preparations, any type of cereal, flour, starch or milk product, any pastry cook products, any miscellaneous edible preparations, beverages, spirits, wines, vinegars, animal fodder, tobacco...

I’d give it a miss, if I’m honest, I think it’d be very likely to lead to the parcel being confiscated.

Also remember that you can’t send crackers unless their in the original packaging and unopened; and they may still be stopped on arrival.

maggiecate Tue 07-Nov-17 17:29:20

It would need to be declared at Customs and they'd probably seize it, as it contains dried fruit.

www.mra.mu/index.php/12-home/import-export-others/91-import-restrictions

Bit like New Zealand and Australia, because it's a relatively pristine environment they're (rightly) paranoid about accidentally importing disease so dried fruit and seeds are a tightly regulated.

SarahH12 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:20:54

Oh that's a bummer. Thanks all though. I'll have to rethink what to get her

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: