Talk

Advanced search

Argh bollocks.

(16 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Tue 07-Nov-17 15:21:31

I applied for a job yesterday with a cover letter and CV. I did proof-read it at the time, and really tried hard to make sure that I'd proof-read it fully.

Problem is.... I looked back at the cover letter just now, and it's got some clangers in that I clearly missed when I read it over before submitting blush e.g. pretty big oversights like mentioning another role for a different sort of organisation in the last paragraph blushblush

Ironically enough, one of the skills requested in the job specification is 'very good attention to detail'(!!!) I really tried hard to make sure I'd spotted any errors, but clearly I missed some(!!!)

What do I do? Do I just chalk this one up to experience and just make damn sure I don't have any similar errors in my other job applications?

Also, this is a bit of a daft question, but do you have any advice on how I can avoid doing this in the future? I honestly don't notice any big mistakes when proofreading for the first time. It's mostly when/if I read back over my application the next day that I'll start to notice mistakes.

Is the solution to this something like filling an application, proofreading it initially and then going back to it the next day to proofread it again?

Feel so frustrated at myself sad the person looking at the application is going to think I'm such an idiot!!!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 07-Nov-17 15:24:47

If you think the errors are serious, I'd correct them, send the application in, explain that you sent an earlier draft that needed correcting, apologise and ask them to disregard the earlier application.

It's very hard to proofread your own work, isn't it? What I tend to do is:

(a) get someone else to read over what I've written as they normally have a fresher eye,

(b) if I can't do that, I read what I've written to myself "out loud*, making sure I read every word. Gets me some weird looks from the dog but it removes the temptation to skip over stuff and I definitely pick up more than I do when I read it in my head.

amusedbush Tue 07-Nov-17 15:24:56

When I applied for my current job, it was shortly after I'd gotten married and half of my application had my maiden name and half used my married name.

I realised after I submitted it but decided to ignore it. The main interviewer did make a joke about it (had I gotten married while I was filling out the application? blush) but they glossed over it and I got the job.

Pengggwn Tue 07-Nov-17 15:31:27

Or getting someone else to proof read?

pleasestopsnoring Tue 07-Nov-17 15:33:48

I spent a month sending out my cv out with a spelling mistake in the first line! Couldn’t understand why I wasn’t getting anywhere hmmblushgrin

Neverender Tue 07-Nov-17 15:34:01

I went for an interview once and the interviewer said, “Attention to detail is very important.” I assured her I was absolutely spot on on that front. She then said, “So, can you explain why you’ve spelt ‘experience’ with a ‘z’? I went beetroot and apologised and explained I’d done the application very late at night.

Still got the job! wink

FlouncyDoves Tue 07-Nov-17 15:41:31

Neverender - ‘because I’m street’

FlouncyDoves Tue 07-Nov-17 15:41:46

Also, read aloud as a pp said.

Thekitten Tue 07-Nov-17 15:58:13

Also try starting from the end, it makes you concentrate a lot more.

RangeTesKopeks Tue 07-Nov-17 16:39:06

Thanks so much everyone - these are all really helpful tips.

With this current cover letter and CV that I've messed up a bit, should I just let it go (ie. not email over a corrected, improved version of my cover letter and CV?)

Neverender Tue 07-Nov-17 17:02:56

Lol Flouncy!

abbsisspartacus Tue 07-Nov-17 17:11:32

Are you emailing a person or a bot? If it's a bot just send a better version from a different email address

Fitzsimmons Tue 07-Nov-17 17:15:01

I'm a freelance writer. I never proofread immediately after I finish writing something, I always wait at least 30 minutes, more if possible. If I do it immediately it's too easy to subconsciously skip sections as I already clearly remember the content.

Mouikey Tue 07-Nov-17 17:20:36

As someone who has shortlisted from over 100 applicant for one post, if it said attention to detail in the personal spec then sadly spelling mistakes are used to whittle the field down... this is especially the case if there are a number of good candidates and this is all that separates them. As an organisation we only interview 6 or 7 per post.

Always get someone to proof read for you and always check off what you have written against the essential criteria - this should guarantee an interview 😁

Somerville Tue 07-Nov-17 17:23:08

Printing it to proofread on paper rather than a screen is better. Also try changing the font design and size - it looks so different then, to when you typed it, that it tricks your brain into not reading what you expect to be there, and helps you read what is actually there.

NoSquirrels Tue 07-Nov-17 17:23:45

You've discovered the answer- you need to re-read with distance from your original work on it.

Everyone has had this sort of experience, it's pretty common (but won't make the employer look kindly on you!)

As PP says - if it's an auto address, email again from a different account. If a person, send again with a brief bit apologetic note that you have noted a mistake in your original submission and please could they accept this correct version. Owning & fixing mistakes is an important business skill so don't despair!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now