Talk

Advanced search

to say Stranger Things Series 2 was fucking shit?

(116 Posts)
FiddleWiddiRiddim Tue 07-Nov-17 14:26:13

Just so you know, I'm not BU because it was absolutely shit.

*Spoiler Alert**

It was formulaic

Eleven running away to meet Number 8 was just strange and completely unnecessary.

Number 8's band of 80s outlaws were completely ridiculous (compared with the fairly normal characters in Hawkins)

All the monsters was a really dumb, boring and over-dramatic plot device.

Introducing Bob just for Bob to die was lazy.

The ending of the whole series was just plain creepy. In series 1 (and a lot of series 2), the kids had a really idealised 80s childhood- great friendship, a secret club, charging around the town on cool bikes getting into adventures, communicating via walkie talkie, hanging out at the arcade. Then, suddenly, in the last episode they're having some kind of weir pseudo-adult, sexually charged slow dancing bullshit. Whaaaat?

<Grumpy>

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 07-Nov-17 14:29:05

YANBU, I was really disappointed. They went all coming of age on it (bit like SKs book IT). It wasn’t a patch on the first series. Lost all the tension and otherworldness.

EleanorXx Tue 07-Nov-17 14:31:03

Yanbu

Areyoufree Tue 07-Nov-17 14:32:19

It was horribly formulaic. Especially another spoiler the bit where Bob died. I think I actually rolled my eyes. It's a shame & I loved the first season.

UnbornMortificado Tue 07-Nov-17 14:33:24

YABU just because of Steve. I'm now slightly in love with him.

The whole teatowel on shoulder and taking Dustin too the dance.

Nannyplumbrocks Tue 07-Nov-17 14:33:50

I really liked it apart from the totally unnecessary and strange episode of 11 going to Chicago and joining the gang. That was terrible. I liked the rest

Fattymcfaterson Tue 07-Nov-17 14:35:05

Steve 😍

jay55 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:35:06

I loved Bob, I loved him trying so hard with the kids. Killing him was horrid.

I didn’t like we had to wait so long for Eleven to be integrated into the main story. But overall it was good fun.

peachgreen Tue 07-Nov-17 14:35:41

I enjoyed a lot of the character development (Steve, Dustin, the introduction of Max, Hopper and Eleven, Lucas' family background) but thought the plot left a lot to be desired. I found the "possession" storyline pretty scary because I don't like that sort of thing, but thought the monsters were a bit of a let down in general. It definitely didn't have the same eeriness as S1.

The Number 8 episode was NONSENSE, although I liked that it moved Eleven's character development on a bit.

peachgreen Tue 07-Nov-17 14:36:29

Also yes, I agree with PPs - the whole thing was worth it for Steve "Babysitter Of The Year" Harrington.

UnbornMortificado Tue 07-Nov-17 14:36:33

I made DH put a teatowel on his shoulder but it didn't have the same effect.

Yesyesyesyeswhatever Tue 07-Nov-17 14:37:04

Agree. Also thought the ending was gross.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Tue 07-Nov-17 14:37:11

You're not wrong. Huge disappointment sad

FiddleWiddiRiddim Tue 07-Nov-17 14:37:24

Lost all the tension and otherworldness

Yes, that's brilliant. Totally sums it up. I feel like it went for the whole big dramatic music and special effects rather than just the low-level creepiness that made series 1 great. And I still don't get what the upside-down is.

Unborn I actually find Max's brother strangely appealing. I'm ashamed of myself but he's gorgeous grin

Lewwat Tue 07-Nov-17 14:38:23

I've gone completely fan girl over Steve.
Didn't warm to him in season 1

AuntAntigone Tue 07-Nov-17 14:38:47

I thought the only good bits were when Hopper fell in the tunnel, they all hid in the bus from the demodogs and when everybody was trying to get out of the lab. It all turned a bit like a low-budget horror movie at the end. The third series will kill it stone dead.

imnotalpharius Tue 07-Nov-17 14:39:06

Some of it was fantastic, the Elisode I didn't like and the ending was a bit flat. But I think in the long run when viewed over the planned 4 season ark it will work.

FiddleWiddiRiddim Tue 07-Nov-17 14:39:07

Actually, can we just talk about how freaking cool Lucas' little sister is? Can she please have her own spin-out series of her just being rude to Lucas and his friends grin

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 07-Nov-17 14:39:50

I loved it! The stand alone episode about number 8 wasn't the best but I loved eleven coming back after her transformation. Would have liked her to keep her new image for the snowball rather than wearing a pretty dress.

Bob dying was awful but he was clearly just there for her his puzzle solving skills.

How old are the kids supposed to be in this series? I was 13 in 1983 and there was lots of kissing at school parties 😱 ( trying not to think about that as I have a 12 year old!)

Now watching season 1 again to stop my withdrawal symptoms!

UnbornMortificado Tue 07-Nov-17 14:42:08

Fiddle he was incredibly nice to look at too but my heart lies with Steve.

FiddleWiddiRiddim Tue 07-Nov-17 14:45:39

I think they were meant to be about 13. I agree about lots of kissing etc. at that age but it was the way it was like some faux adult romance that I hated. My experience was much more like slopping wet snogs round the back of the Spar while your mate watched out for passing tramps.

I also hated that it seemed to completely jar with the very idyllic childhood and friendships that they had in series 1 and most of the series 2. It was like "Oh look, we were running around on our bikes getting into mischief ten minutes ago but now we're completely in love and staring adoringly into each others eyes while we slow dance to Time After Time"

No, fuck off.

Ttbb Tue 07-Nov-17 14:48:55

I agree that the ending was pretty rubbish. They should have waited at least another season before moving on to coming of age rubbish. The whole point of childhood crushes is that nothing happens.

Fairylea Tue 07-Nov-17 14:50:24

Yanbu. I actually couldn’t be bothered to watch it from about half way through but persevered because dh was really into it. He thought it was amazing confused I was completely bored - despite loving the first season.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Tue 07-Nov-17 14:51:13

It was all a bit fan fiction. And I agree three kiddie romance stuff was a bit yuck.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Tue 07-Nov-17 14:52:04

I was furious about Bob! I thought “How fucking dare they do that to an 80s childhood hero!” He could have been so much more!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: