Talk

Advanced search

To think I have the cleverest dog in the world?

(30 Posts)
lougle Tue 07-Nov-17 13:13:36

Our cat was hit by a car last week, and the vet has said to keep her on 'house arrest' for a few days until her legs are less lame. So she's having to use a litter tray again.

Two days ago, DH had a moan that the cat had missed the litter tray when she peed. Thinking nothing of it, he cleaned up.

Today, I heard a shout of 'Oi, you silly dog!' and the door swiftly opening. It turns out that our dog had cocked his leg to pee into the litter tray grin.

I can't be angry with him, it's genius! Talk about jumping on the bandwagon.

SendintheArdwolves Tue 07-Nov-17 13:15:47

You're right, your dog is a genius!

Either that, or the dog is attempting to cover up the smell of cat piss in an attempt to mark his/her territory.

But don't let that spoil your fun grin

Chrys2017 Tue 07-Nov-17 13:17:22

Oh dear... you're one of those owners whose cat goes around shitting in other people's gardens, aren't you?

The dog is probably scent-marking (pissing wherever any other creature has pissed). I think you'll find all male dogs do this.

lackingimagination Tue 07-Nov-17 13:20:01

Having a bad day Chrys ? πŸ˜‚

Rebeccaslicker Tue 07-Nov-17 13:23:37

Chrys - is that better or worse than shitting on other people's light hearted fun?!

OP you can check out the brilliant hyperboleandahalf - she did a series of tests to see if her dog was intelligent - you could try those and report back smile

Rebeccaslicker Tue 07-Nov-17 13:25:13

For anyone who hasn't seen it and has a few mins to spend:

hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/menace.html?m=1

lougle Tue 07-Nov-17 13:28:09

@Chrys2017, I'm not sure where you extrapolated that from, but aww, don't feel left out, I'll build a bonfire in my garden so that you can pee on it. smile

KurriKurri Tue 07-Nov-17 13:33:12

If your dog is the cleverest in the world, he's stolen some of my dog's share - because I've got one of the dimmest (half an hour yesterday barking at a menacing toilet roll) grin

lougle Tue 07-Nov-17 13:39:42

I like that @Rebeccaslicker smile. I feel a bit bad now. He's a rescue dog and we think he's a GSDx Golden Retriever. We always say that the GR in him knocks a bit of the smarts out of the GSD, because he's not as quick as the GSDs I had as a child. But having read that blog, I think he would pass those tests with flying colours. The added evidence of the Litter Tray Adaptation Test shows that I clearly misjudged him.

Forgive me, my boy 🀐

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Tue 07-Nov-17 13:43:07

grin brilliant!

half an hour yesterday barking at a menacing toilet roll) grin

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Tue 07-Nov-17 13:44:05

Btw have any of you seen the video of the cat pissing in the dog’s food dish? grin

Rebeccaslicker Tue 07-Nov-17 13:45:22

Ah he sounds gorgeous!!! Can we see a pic?

Cats are deliciously evil. That's why you have to love them so much.

Chrys2017 Tue 07-Nov-17 13:49:13

@lougle Because you said your cat was "having to use a litter tray again" due to being kept inside. So I extrapolated from that that she normally (a) does her business outside and (b) not in a litter tray.
Cats don't like to shit on their own doorstep so I assumed yours normally uses someone else's.

Yes I'm a bit touchy about this subject after finding cat shit buried in my strawberry plants. (I don't have a cat.)

lougle Tue 07-Nov-17 13:56:58

My cat doesn't like strawberries.

These are two of my favourite photos of him.

DixieNormas Tue 07-Nov-17 13:58:04

Mine shits in its own garden out the back and in the gravel out on our front. I think cats not liking to shit on their own doorstep is a myth.

I've seen the cat peeing in the dog bowl πŸ˜‚

Rebeccaslicker Tue 07-Nov-17 14:11:11

Ah he's gorgeous!! What a happy boy.

Chrys2017 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:40:49

@lougle Beautiful boy.

Nikephorus Tue 07-Nov-17 17:34:06

My cats shit in my garden. My dog eats their shit. I wish my cats would shit in next door's garden instead.
(Disclaimer - I have an irrational dislike of my neighbour)

LazyDailyMailJournos Tue 07-Nov-17 17:38:22

Well he's definitely cleverer than my two. Old dog in particular has an endearing habit of farting in his sleep and waking himself up...

DixieNormas Tue 07-Nov-17 17:45:17

My dog does the same Nike 🀒

BackBoiler Tue 07-Nov-17 17:55:54

Mine shits in its own garden out the back and in the gravel out on our front. I think cats not liking to shit on their own doorstep is a myth.

Mine does it on our gardens. She can't be arsed to go any further!

BackBoiler Tue 07-Nov-17 17:57:05

Nike My mum's dog also did it, they had to inspect the garden for it as the dog used to eat the gravel with it and then barf it up on the kitchen floor.......shit sick....nice!

StatueInTheSky Tue 07-Nov-17 17:59:32

we have had a parade of puppies through the house as we puppy walk and one of them was VERY interested in the cats using the tray and actually got in and used it...she was only tiny...about eight weeks old

and I ADORE your dog, def some GSD in there, he's very very handsome!

lougle Tue 07-Nov-17 17:59:59

A neighbourhood cat comes into our front garden to do its business, so it's fair to assume that Mara is doing swapsies, I suppose. But as cats are not considered trainable, can't be put on leads, and are expected to roam, I can't get worked up at the thought that my feline friend may be defecating in unwanted places. It's the joy she has with her freedom. Just as the price of her freedom is that if some selfish person knocks her down and maims or kills her, they are not required to stop, help her, report it, or move her body out of the road.

Afternooncatnap Tue 07-Nov-17 18:01:54

The only thing my dog ever did with the litter box was raid it for snacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now