Talk

Advanced search

To say something to the neighbours about their barking dog?

(15 Posts)
evilharpy Tue 07-Nov-17 12:40:59

Sorry, boring barking dog post, could probably only be more boring if it was about parking.

Anyway. We're not what you'd call friendly with the family next door but we're on pleasant speaking terms. We live in a row of terraced houses. We're on one side of them and the people on the other side are very rarely there. Next door's house is currently up for sale, has been for a couple of months but hasn't sold yet.

They have a nice friendly doggy. I like dogs, I have no problem with dogs. Sometimes dogs bark. Fine. But this dog barks all day long when there is nobody at home. Constantly. At first it was a bit annoying but now it's driving me mad. I work from home sometimes and find it incredibly distracting and have to have some sort of background noise, radio or whatever, to drown out the barking. He does seem to stop barking when they come home so maybe separation anxiety or whatever.

I have no idea whether they even know about the barking and (having never had a dog myself) don't know what they could do to stop it - I appreciate people have to go to work. I'm not suggesting they should get rid of the dog. I'm not a horrible person/dog hater/evil neighbour but it really is driving me up the walls. Maybe I should just wait and hope the house sells soon. Maybe I just needed to have a rant about it. I certainly don't want to fall out with anyone over it.

Has anyone had a barky dog living next door and did you manage to resolve it?

crazycatlady5 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:43:19

No advice but sounds like the poor dog is absolutely miserable being left home alone all day.angry

justilou1 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:43:48

Maybe you should record him so that they know you're not being silly about it.

evilharpy Tue 07-Nov-17 12:46:28

Justilou1 would that not come across as petty? "Your dog barks all day, I recorded him on my phone because I'm a cantankerous old witch?"

He probably is miserable bless him. I know there are things like shock collars but I don't like the idea of them at all.

Theresamayscough Tue 07-Nov-17 12:47:33

Gosh that’s horrible for you and the dog must be distressed too.

Trouble is if you mention it would they be the types to get rid of it? That would stop me mentioning it but it’s a tricky one as it’s nit fair on anyone least of all the poor doggie

MrsJayy Tue 07-Nov-17 12:49:09

I would probably say something to them along the lines of your dog is very loud he is barking every time you go out is he ok . Yes it is passive aggresive but that would drive me nuts

Veterinari Tue 07-Nov-17 12:50:06

His miserable and anxious
Electrocuting him when he barks won’t make him less miserable or anxious confused

You need to speak to them so that they’re aware that their dog has separation anxiety

Trailedanderror Tue 07-Nov-17 12:53:35

How long has this been going on for? Our lovely, (genuinely so, it looks sarky in this context) ndn came round after we'd left ddog alone the first couple of times to tell us about the barking. We got a crate which she loved, I'd usually find her fast asleep on my return.

Rudgie47 Tue 07-Nov-17 12:54:47

They can pay for a dog walker or put it in doggy day care, everyone who has a dog understands they cant be left by themselves all day.The poor thing will need to go to the toilet.
I'd just explain what the problem was and ask them nicely to sort it out. If they didnt I'd be back round there saying they needed to sort it out. Its not on and they will know it.

Dontspeaktome Tue 07-Nov-17 12:55:08

poor dog, yes i woulf say something.

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Tue 07-Nov-17 12:55:53

Could they afford a dogwalker or doggy day care (I can't afford the second one but I do have a dogwalker who comes in halfway through day and walks dog for an hour when I'm working full-time so that dog gets some company and a bit of exercise to wear her out)? Maybe you could very politely ask if they have considered it.

I am worried now it's my dog but he's very rarely alone an hour or so a day max as we got a dog as I'm at home 99% of the time. If it is me im sorry grin

evilharpy Tue 07-Nov-17 12:57:51

Trailedanderror I've kind of lost track a bit. I don't know if it's happened for ages or I didn't notice it for a while, and then I suppose it was the school holidays so there was usually someone home. A good few months anyway, on and off, and pretty much constant since everyone went back to school. I work three days a week so am home two days, and on those two days he barks all day. On my work from home days he barks all day. On weekends he barks a lot less, probably because he has company.

ExConstance Tue 07-Nov-17 12:58:38

You could always et up as a doggy day care facility for him!

Brighteyes27 Tue 07-Nov-17 13:06:42

We have this too it’s dreadful. I work part time and on a day off I often used to enjoy the quiet but now like you I have to have the TV or radio on just to try and drown it out and so I don’t go mad.
I mentioned it to the neighbour (as it’s a puppy) and like you we aren’t very friendly. I asked how the dog was getting on and whether it was settling in ok. He actually said oh ok but driving X (his wife a bit mad) but it’s not as bad as X (their previous dog) who he obviously knew was the same. I admitted I could hear it when they were out and I was off work.
We also have a dog who never barks, he has a crate and we have a dog walker who takes him out for 2-3 hours on the days I am at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now