Talk

Advanced search

To leave the tradesman in on his own?

(19 Posts)
FGSholdthedoor Tue 07-Nov-17 10:40:12

Made plans today to take my DS and see my DM who I've not seen for 2 weeks.

DH came home last night and announced that the joiner who had us on a waiting list for a couple of jobs had a cancellation and is coming first thing in the morning.

He's here now. We're in a tiny house so I've barricaded myself in the lounge with toddler and dog as there's potentially dangerous tools in the kitchen and the joiner keeps having to come downstairs and/or nip in and out to get something.

WIBU to leave a spare key with him and tell him to lock up when he's done and go see my DM?

He knows what he's doing and it's not really something I can monitor.

DH thinks I am as "we don't really know him" but he has over 25 years experience is well known in our small village and lives down the road from us so I can't imagine him snooping around (not like there's anything to see TBH) or taking anything.
And I really don't feel like being sat in the lounge for the next X amount of hours.

reallyreallyreallytired Tue 07-Nov-17 10:41:12

Yep, leave him to it 😊

Trailedanderror Tue 07-Nov-17 10:41:15

I would leave him. As you say he's known locally and you have other plans.

ILoveDolly Tue 07-Nov-17 10:43:35

Yes leave him! Ffs you know where he lives and if there are any problems it won't be very difficult to point the finger! Local tradesman rely on good word of mouth recommendations, I find they are usually exemplary in their work.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Tue 07-Nov-17 10:45:35

Make sure you take the dogs with you

MrsOverTheRoad Tue 07-Nov-17 10:47:55

Leave him. My DH used to be a decorator and was mostly left to it whilst clients were at work.

RatOnnaStick Tue 07-Nov-17 10:48:54

DH is a heating engineer and he always prefers it when the customer just carries on as normal. Nothing worse than someone hovering and afraid to come and go.

I always just carry on with my day. I am there when they arrive, quick chat, point them in the direction of the kettle and biscuits, leave a key and go on out.

Shoxfordian Tue 07-Nov-17 10:51:55

Yeah its fine, just leave him to it

RatOnnaStick Tue 07-Nov-17 10:53:07

Tell your DH to relax. He's a known, local tradesman with a quarter of a century's experience and a waiting list. This should tell you that he's trustworthy, good at his job and experienced.

No need to babysit him.

FGSholdthedoor Tue 07-Nov-17 11:00:46

@SloeSloeQuickQuickGin dog would be coming along as she plays with DMs dogs, she'd be terribly upset if she missed her play date wink

TBH I think he's just being a bit OTT as he doesn't really like my DM and DF (justified) but despite trying for it not to it does get in the way of his judgement sometimes IMO.

RatOnnaStick Tue 07-Nov-17 11:03:36

Then tell him you are off out and if he really wants to he can come and watch over things.

PinkHeart5914 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:04:46

I always leave them too it and if I think I won’t be back before they leave I give them a key and tell them to lock up and post the key in the letterbox.

I have never had any problems with any tradesman, most rely heavily on word of mouth/good online reviews etc so the last thing they want to do is anything wrong

PurplePumpkinHead Tue 07-Nov-17 11:15:14

I've had loads of workmen in and out over the last few months. As with everyone else advice, just leave them to it grin

Dontfuckingsaycheese Tue 07-Nov-17 11:15:49

Hmm. When ds was tiny we had a boiler and pipes replaced. Rented house. Lots of upheaval so I rang letting agency. They voucher for heating guy so I went to stay at mums (down road. Popped in occsionally)
When he finished he made excess mess which tried to hide by closing curtains hmm

A pipe had splattered everywhere. He apologised. I cleared it all up. Lounge carpet had layer of mud!! But ok these things happen. Cleaned up. And whole house as covered in a fine black dust.

But then. I realised I was missing a duvet cover here, a pillow case there. Eh?Thought I was going mad. Then when I went through airing cupboard realised almost every item in there - pillow cases, towels, sheets had burn holes in. I can only assume he'd burnt some stuff so bad he'd taken it away. Can I just say, before he started we went through how I needed to prepare the house, which I did.

The shit denied it???? It was awful. Agency didn't back me up. Suggested I claim on my insurance. Which I couldn't as I had invited my thief into the house. It was crap. I got some money but they let me down, promising money then not giving it ie. Yes get rug cleaned (for the pipe spillage) and bring in receipt. Rug cost £50 to clean. They refused to pay it though they'd assured they would. It was the fact that he denied taking the stuff away that pissed me off.

So no. I am unlikely to let a tradesperson work alone in my house.

Dontfuckingsaycheese Tue 07-Nov-17 11:16:37

Not voucher. Vouched !!

FGSholdthedoor Tue 07-Nov-17 11:26:36

@Dontfuckingsaycheese sorry you had a bad experience.

But this guy literally lives a couple of streets away.
He works for himself and has a 1month waiting list at times.

All he's doing is fitting some bath panels and boxing in a pipe in the bathroom and putting a door up.
He's cutting/trimming everything outside so can't imagine much of a mess TBH.

And it's getting cold now as the front door keeps having to be open.

DH will probably find something wrong and blame it on me not being in when he comes home from work but I'm getting ready to go.

VoodooCat Tue 07-Nov-17 11:31:05

Just go. My DP is a tradesman. He's always left a key, gets on with it and cleans up after himself. I make him sandwiches and flasks of tea which he has in the van. Hes no bother at all.

bigbluebus Tue 07-Nov-17 11:32:05

Give the joiner your contact number and go out and leave him to it. If he needs to ask yo anything he can ring you. I have left workmen who are well known in the area in my house many times. Never had a problem.

HelloSunshine11 Tue 07-Nov-17 11:37:31

I would go for sure. If you DH is so bothered he can stay home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now