Talk

Advanced search

Quiche Guardian and the Non Pork Eater

(65 Posts)
MidniteScribbler Tue 07-Nov-17 00:17:50

We had a staff day at work and lunch was provided. The meal was a pork roast and salad. There were also quiches provided for vegetarians which was being guarded by another staff member and only served to those who were actually vegetarians and any one who wasn't a vegetarian was refused access. One staff member said that she doesn't eat pork, so wanted a piece of the quiche. Quiche Guardian (QG) said that she can eat pork but chooses not to, so she wasn't allowed to access the vegetarian meal. Standoff ensued. QG won and non pork eater ate just salad. There were three full quiches left at the end of the meal which QG packed away and took home with her.

Should non pork eater been allowed to access the vegetarian option?

(I was neither party in this debate, quite happy to gorge myself on pork roast and crackling.)

Themoonhatesthestars Tue 07-Nov-17 00:27:10

Being a vegetarian is also a choice! It’s not like being diagnosed a celiac. As a fellow non pork eater (but on non-religious grounds) she should have been allowed the quiche. QG could maybe have said to come back once once all vegetarians had been served if they’d been catered too specifically by numbers but otherwise SWU. I always say I’m vegetarian when invited to events so this doesn’t happen but I hate quiche so would have just had salad anyway.

Julie8008 Tue 07-Nov-17 00:28:13

What would have happened to the Vegans?

Beeziekn33ze Tue 07-Nov-17 00:32:17

Aren't staff days supposed to be about team building and co-operation? That went well! Is QG a manager or just keen on quiche?

MidniteScribbler Tue 07-Nov-17 00:33:36

There are no vegans on staff Julie8008. Only four vegetarians (and there were four quiches, three of which did not get touched.

kuniloofdooksa Tue 07-Nov-17 00:33:42

QGWBU

Fromage Tue 07-Nov-17 00:34:30

Why did the quiche guardian think vegetarians don't eat pork - because it's illegal for them? Because they have taken a sacred oath unto Mary Berry? Because they will drop stone dead if they eat meat?

Of course the non pork eater should have had access to the quiches. Pork was a poor choice imo, lots of people don't eat pork for religious reasons.

Why was there no catering for vegans, and how much of greedy moo is the QG?

MidniteScribbler Tue 07-Nov-17 00:35:26

QG is also not a vegetarian, and she ate both the pork and quiche for lunch.

Fromage Tue 07-Nov-17 00:35:35

cross posting about vegans

Fromage Tue 07-Nov-17 00:38:30

QG is a greedy pig.

Which is both ironic and cannibalistic.

How sure are you that the quiches were vegetarian, made with vegetarian cheese and pastry? Or did QG not care as she swallowed them whole in the car park before she drove home?

I am possibly being abusive to QG. Feel free to report me to MNHQ for crimes against someone nameless who isn't here.

Julie8008 Tue 07-Nov-17 00:38:36

Well then once the 4 vegetarians were offered a quiche and 3 were left, they should have been given to who ever wanted. Seems poorly thought through.

I am used to never getting any food on these things (other than the lettuce dressing) so am a bit estranged from the pettiness of it all.

Crispbutty Tue 07-Nov-17 00:39:39

"Why did the quiche guardian think vegetarians don't eat pork?"

Because it's not vegetarian? confused

MoreCheerfulMonica Tue 07-Nov-17 00:45:08

Should have invited QG to my wedding, where the omnivores ate all the vegetarian quiches before the vegetarians could get at them.

<<misses point>>

thiskittenbarks Tue 07-Nov-17 00:47:22

That’s crazy. Lots of people (Jewish and Muslim) don’t eat pork for religious reasons- so that’s somehow less important than being a vegetarian??
QG sounds like a jobsworth idiot.

BlueberryIce Tue 07-Nov-17 00:47:58

QG sounds like an arse.

highinthesky Tue 07-Nov-17 00:50:07

OMG. Just that gin

thiskittenbarks Tue 07-Nov-17 00:50:50

If I was non-pork eater and was a non-pork eater for religious reasons I’d be shouting religious discrimination from the rooftops. (Luckily for QGs across the world I am an atheist for bacon reasons)

Hawkmoth Tue 07-Nov-17 00:50:57

TBF, a quiche without bacon isn't worth the bother.

tabulahrasa Tue 07-Nov-17 00:53:29

I think a quiche guardian would be quite useful as usually what happens is that there's exactly the serving for the number of vegetarians and if anyone else gets there first it's all gone...

But, it should have been fair game for the non pork eater too, especially when it was obvious there was plenty.

Dontspeaktome Tue 07-Nov-17 00:57:13

QC is an absolute idiot shes acting like she paid for it

LellyMcKelly Tue 07-Nov-17 00:57:58

Who on earth orders pork for one of these things? Choose what most people will like - chicken. Even if you're a meat eater, and aren't religious, pork is a weird choice.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 07-Nov-17 00:57:59

Guardian of The Quiche sounds suspiciously like someone I know who is Self Appointed Guardian Of Stationery Supplies and Colour Printing At The Photocopier. She is a gigantic arsehole and no one likes her smile.

Fromage Tue 07-Nov-17 01:02:39

Crispbutty my point was that vegetarians choose not to eat meat, in the exact same way that anyone else might choose not to eat pork.

It's not illegal or impossible for vegetarians to eat pork, they haven't sworn not to and eating it won't kill your average vegetarian - they choose not to (fair enough.)

Maybe the QG didn't understand that the vegetarians didn't eat the pork because they chose not to. Perhaps she thought they'd die on the spot if they did.

Atenco Tue 07-Nov-17 01:05:15

Don't you all have to take some responsibility for allowing QG to act as they did?

steff13 Tue 07-Nov-17 01:09:37

I agree with Atenco. Anyone who want quiche should have just had some. And the vegetarians should have stepped up and taken the leftovers.

Also, this: TBF, a quiche without bacon isn't worth the bother.

And this: Who on earth orders pork for one of these things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now