Talk

Advanced search

Motherland on BBC

(16 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Tue 07-Nov-17 00:14:22

Anyone watched Motherland on the BBC?

There's a pilot episode on a few months back that's still on iPlayer, and it's starting properly as a series tomorrow.

I really wanted to like it as a relative had said it was great, but I just didn't find it particularly funny. What did everyone else think?

Muddlingalongalone Tue 07-Nov-17 00:20:46

I watched the pilot when it aired but can't 100% remember it. I think there were some funny parts but in general she irritated me and it was a bit too cliched.
Will give it a go tomorrow but not hopeful. They could probably script it from mn

leccybill Tue 07-Nov-17 00:22:01

I thought it was hilarious.
Thanks for the heads-up for tomorrow.

RangeTesKopeks Tue 07-Nov-17 00:23:58

Yeah I thought it was a bit cliched!! The whole frazzled mother thing.

planetclom Tue 07-Nov-17 00:25:34

Brilliant just so funny.
I am a cross between the hysterical working mum and the single mum who chopped off her finger one minute I am as calm as fuck the next the head is off and I am all over the place.
Looking forward to it.

Oh and like the Daddy too... I do have a tendency to get “involved” and send out an email or Three on causes 😊

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 07-Nov-17 00:58:32

just watched this on iplayer - very good

graham linehan and sharon horgan wrote it

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 07-Nov-17 01:01:01

thanks for the heads up smile

brasty Thu 09-Nov-17 11:17:09

If the main character posted on here, she would just be told to sort out proper childcare.
Did think though that Kevin would post on here saying that he gets ignored by most mothers and claiming it was sexism; and then going silent when the other father appears and is welcomed in.

KindergartenKop Thu 09-Nov-17 11:20:14

The main character doesn't have a childcare problem, she has a DH problem!

I find it hilarious too.

brasty Thu 09-Nov-17 11:20:56

Yes she does have a DH problem. She would be told to LTB.

BroomHandledMouser Thu 09-Nov-17 11:42:35

Ahh I loved it! Thought it was brilliant!

Anymajordude Thu 09-Nov-17 11:53:18

Very well observed in my opinion. I thought it was funny and you could really tell Sharon Horgan had something to do with it. She did the parent thing a bit in Catastrophe.

fessmess Thu 09-Nov-17 22:07:24

We’re we watching the same thing? I have never seen anything more toe-curlingly awful in my life. I managed 5 minutes.

planetclom Thu 09-Nov-17 22:19:03

Well in fairness as if you only managed 5 mins you haven’t actually watched it.

TheLegendOfBeans Thu 09-Nov-17 22:23:00

I really enjoyed it; the whole series is on iplayer so I treated myself to Ep 2 today and it’s good.

It’s not going to be laugh out loud funny but it’s got Horgan’s hallmarks all over it plus I’m a huge fan of Diane Morgan so that’s a draw for me.

I love Sharon Horgan but she has a habit of getting things spot on in the beginning and then they lose it a bit - Catastrophe is a perfect example of this, I really think they should have just left it at one perfect and funny series.

tiktok Sun 12-Nov-17 19:31:05

Just watched it on catch up. It had a few good observations but relied too heavily on stereotypes - frazzled mother, bitchy other mothers, frosty relationship with granny, totally inept men.

Most mothers support each other. They’re just not as awful as these ones.

And it stretches credulity long beyond what you’d normally allow in a sit com.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now