Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if you can have counselling online

(13 Posts)
sophkins Mon 06-Nov-17 23:11:55

Or does it have to be face to face?

One of the big problems I have at the moment is that I have too many places to be and not enough time. My gp wants me to have counselling but finding the time to get there is tough.

QuackPorridgeBacon Mon 06-Nov-17 23:17:33

Yes you can. There is one where you input some answers to questions and you eat matched with someone and you then message them whoever suits you and they reply. It means you can work it through your day. I haven’t used it but I came across it one day when looking into online counselling. I think it works out cheaper than seeing someone face to face.

sophkins Mon 06-Nov-17 23:19:23

Thanks, how do I find it?

mistrals Mon 06-Nov-17 23:24:42

A friend of mine recently had 6 counselling sessions by telephone, NHS funded and arranged through her G.P. It seems that in this area that's the system currently in place. Telephone counselling in the first instance and then depending on how that goes, either further telephone meetings or face to face whichever is deemed more appropriate to meet the patient's needs. She also had one ' One to one' session followed by 6 weekly group sessions which she dreaded and initially balked at but actually found them incredibly helpful.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Nov-17 23:25:28

I had CBT over the phone.

Venusflytwat Mon 06-Nov-17 23:25:45

Google “online counselling” ?

MrsEight Mon 06-Nov-17 23:29:11

As a counsellor I have serious doubts about this method.

When you train you are taught to read body language which is 70% of our communication.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 06-Nov-17 23:31:27

There are some who do sessions via Skype/Facetime here in the US. I'd think the UK would have some who do that, too.

doodle01 Tue 07-Nov-17 00:01:32

Lack of time for yourself to keep well err no.
I remember the face of my counsellor pretty well and could feel her soaking it all up.

LadyDeLaFuente Tue 07-Nov-17 00:05:15

I had Skype CBT counselling. It was private though.
I think I would only go for phone counselling to make up a missed session with a counsellor I'd already been seeing. I think it's important to know them (face-to-face) to establish trust.

QuackPorridgeBacon Tue 07-Nov-17 20:36:50

I just googled “online counselling” and some pages came up. I’d personally rather face to face but I don’t see the harm in messaging as I sometimes find that a lot easier.

UserEleventyBillion Tue 07-Nov-17 21:08:03

I had online counselling via an NHS scheme, all typing, but found it was not effective for me. There was no connection to the counsellor and it felt very standardised and rushed, almost like talking to a scripted customer service person. It is worth a go if you can get it but if it does not work out and you need face to face sessions please try to make time, your MH is so important.

Rhumba Tue 07-Nov-17 21:25:39

this website can be helpful for some. why not give it a go and consider other options if it is not. www.llttf.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now