Talk

Advanced search

To throw my bloody printed out the window

(24 Posts)
Hmmmfringe Mon 06-Nov-17 21:58:35

This post is beyond dull. But I'm so angry!!!!! Printers make me angry.

I need to print an assignment to hand in tomorrow. Printer needed new black cartridge. Bought one that should work. Couldn't get it to work. Bought another. Same fucking problem. Eventually found a trouble shooter guide. Got it to work by doing the same thing over and over for about 2 hours. Eventually worked. Hurray.

I cannot tell you how happy I was at this point.

Printed one fucking page then told me the blue needed replacing. Now can't print the rest.
Sooooo annoyed angry angry

LindyHemming Mon 06-Nov-17 22:03:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hmmmfringe Mon 06-Nov-17 22:08:15

Thank you for replying and saying fuck an appropriate amount of times. i feel heard! grin

RNBrie Mon 06-Nov-17 22:10:44

Amazon Prime a new printer?! Seriously, a lot of the time you can get a new printer for less than a set of replacement cartridges. Its an outrage.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:12:36

Sometimes it helps to trick the cartridges. I tell my printer to print the pages out as an A4 photo in black and white, with glossy paper. It ignores the other ones. You could give it a try.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 06-Nov-17 22:14:40

Print it in greyscale, it shouldn't demand the blue. Maybe.

SaucyJack Mon 06-Nov-17 22:15:39

We bought a brand new printer just t'other day to avoid any issues as DP had to print off something Extremely Fucking Important for the next morning.

Of course, the damn thing wasn't supplied with the cunting lead, and of course the stupid fucking prick left it until 10pm before opening the box up to set it up.

"It'll be fine" he said. "Stop fussing" he said.

He was wrong.

It was not fine.

Bestoftimesworstoftimes Mon 06-Nov-17 22:23:38

I might be able to help.
On your cartridges there is a little hole with a sensor that tells the printer when it's low. Cover this up with blu tack and your printer won't know the difference.
I will try find the video guide that helped me in similar circumstances - it then went for a good few hundred more pages !

Bestoftimesworstoftimes Mon 06-Nov-17 22:26:07

Try this link and click on the first hyperlinked photo
i_put_electrical_tape_over_the_ink_sensor_in_my
Plenty other links and videos if you Google search

Bestoftimesworstoftimes Mon 06-Nov-17 22:27:19

Oops here you go
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/i1f1b/i_put_electrical_tape_over_the_ink_sensor_in_my/

Hmmmfringe Mon 06-Nov-17 22:35:59

Found this tip but with electrical tape. Didn't have any. Tried normal tape. Have now tried blue tac. No luck. But thanks.

Bestoftimesworstoftimes Mon 06-Nov-17 22:44:18

That's a shame it worked a charm for me. The key thing is it's opaque and in the right spot. Maybe a combination of this and the greyscale and any low toner options you have ?
Also before doing that I would try unplugging EVERY device involved from electrical sockets and from each other, powering down, leave it 2/3 min (have gin meanwhile) then reconnect and try again. Weirdly this does solve things sometimes.

PS save your work first

doodle01 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:56:28

maybe just no ink
annoying
never use cheap replacements did this with new printer screwed it up never worked again

britbat23 Mon 06-Nov-17 23:07:50

Get a cheap BW laser. The Brother ones are great. The toner cartridges are cheap as chips and last forever - thousands of pages.

Hmmmfringe Mon 06-Nov-17 23:24:32

I did buy the proper branded cartridges. Despite it telling me for 2 hours it didn't recognise them and they recommend the branded ones.

I can see that a printer that uses cheap cartridges would be worth getting.

Have now tried with a big blob of blue tac.

Think I might have to give up.

SouthernComforts Mon 06-Nov-17 23:32:25

Printers are cunts.

The more important the document is, the less likely it is to print and the longer it will take to fix.

SouthernComforts Mon 06-Nov-17 23:33:46

If you are handing the assignment in in person can you print it at uni tomorrow?

Stoptherideiwannagetoff Mon 06-Nov-17 23:50:52

Do it! I launched my printer up the garden in a fit of pique as it decided it no longer wanted to play nicely with our IP address.... so satisfying in a million bits on the patio... bitch to clear up though!

Dixiestampsagain Tue 07-Nov-17 00:42:07

Do it and please feel free to throw mine at the same time. Obnoxious things; they are, indeed, the work of the devil, Euphemia- twattish in the extreme.

washingmachinefastwash Tue 07-Nov-17 01:06:46

You need a HP printer and an instant ink account.

Doesn’t help you just now, sorry.

Do you have anyone nearby that could print for you? Neighbour? Friend?

BlueberryIce Tue 07-Nov-17 01:13:28

Did you buy the cartridge cheap on eBay / Amazon or from a shop? Apparently counterfeit cartridges is now a thing.

If you do launch the printer out of a window, we need photos of the mess grin

GetOutOfMYGarden Tue 07-Nov-17 02:48:37

New printer + HP instant ink. It's a life saver.

dancinfeet Tue 07-Nov-17 07:56:03

The ebay fake cartridges are so much cheaper. My printer cartridges cost about £12.99 EACH x4 if I buy the branded ones. I get something ridiculous like 8 for £10 off ebay, free postage. They work 99.9 percent of the time. I have had 1 dodgy one in about 150 cartridges.

Dixiestampsagain Tue 07-Nov-17 21:57:02

GetOut I did exactly that today!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: