Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think an estate agent shouldn't do this?

(6 Posts)
Hiptrip Mon 06-Nov-17 21:13:34

I'm in the lucky position of being a cash buyer as the result of an inheritance. After a prolonged search for a house, I have now found one I love. The sellers are in a chain, but I am prepared to wait.

I had some viewing appointments this week, and called the local office of a nationwide chain to cancel. The estate agent suggested I still keep my appointments, and then went on to say that if I found another house I liked better, they would refund my survey fees, and any legal costs already incurred on the first house.

WTF? No mention or thought of the disappointment and possible inconvenience to the vendors and others up the chain?

ConciseandNice Mon 06-Nov-17 21:16:59

That's not right at all. I'm in the middle of a house purchase and it would break my heart if the vendor changed their mind. It would be infinitely worse if it were the other way round. Shame on that estate agent. I hope you don't use them
in the future.

keepingbees Mon 06-Nov-17 21:17:46

It’s morally wrong and a bit of a dirty trick. However from their point of view they just want the commission and they won’t be thinking of anyone’s feelings.
From your point of view though it might be wise to keep the viewings, purely in case the chain falls apart or the vendors decide not to sell.

doodle01 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:17:50

They dont care they just want to sell houses

SilverSpot Mon 06-Nov-17 21:18:22

Meh they just want to sell their clients house.

MissConductUS Mon 06-Nov-17 21:18:22

The house you love could still fall through for a number of reasons, like a bad engineering inspection. Do you have a signed contract to buy it? If not it doesn't hurt anyone to keep looking. If you do have a signed contract there's no point.

Real estate is a very sales driven business. Don't ever assume an estate agent is looking out for you first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now