Talk

Advanced search

It’s not an AIBU, sorry!

(4 Posts)
RacingRaccoons Mon 06-Nov-17 20:47:37

I know, I know. I’m breaking a cardinal rule here but I’m posting for traffic!

I am currently studying social science and social care (integrated) as an access course at College.

I have just been invited for a interview at a prestigious university for social work. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or help on how the interview will be and how to maximise my chance of being offered a place.

And if anyone has any reassuring stories of studying at university with a highly active toddler then that would be great!

Thank you!

AgathaMystery Mon 06-Nov-17 21:02:02

Dress smartly. Clean hair, nails and shoes. You do not need to be in a suit, just smart.

Do your research and ring and ask for a department tour beforehand if possible.

You will be asked about your personal statement. Know it inside out.

Do you have a mentor or do you know anyone currently working in that field who can advise you on current practice?

Prepare a couple of questions for the interviewer.

Very very good luck.

doodle01 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:06:14

I think they may telescope forward and ask questions relevant to s/w practice.
Assuming this is your intention or why do it
Have you any experience of social work have you ever interviewed a social worker
Main issue in securing S/w job is experience
Can you communicate effectively
Are you a people person
Do you have empathy
Can you stand up to criticisms
Are you able to present in court ( big part of children’s s/w )
College with zcticd toddler will be easy compared to working as a children’s social worker with often short notice long hours
If you really want softer options they’ll suss you out

Welshmaenad Mon 06-Nov-17 21:12:23

They will probably ask you to discuss a prominent current SW issue in the news, so gen up on what's going on. And/or to discuss how government initiatives/recent changes in legislation are impacting on social work practice. Depending on whether you are in England or Wales, make sure you understand the principles
of the Care Act/SSWWA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now