Talk

Advanced search

To feel like cancelling dd's birthday party

(14 Posts)
Generallyok Mon 06-Nov-17 19:53:47

Dd has never had a proper birthday in a hall but opted for a few friends for tea or a visit to the cinema, but this year we agreed to a disco and have hired a hall and booked a disco. I stupidly have only just given out the invitations today with just 2 weeks to go and found out that another child in her class has a party at same time too, and has invited half the children my child has invited. My Dd is really upset and I feel really rubbish that I have let my lack of organisation fail her. Feel like trying to cancel party as it will seem a bit sad with half the number of children expected there. Aibu?

sooperdooper Mon 06-Nov-17 19:54:57

Can't you change the time of the party so people can do both?

Yika Mon 06-Nov-17 19:55:27

It's not your poor organisation, it's an unfortunate coincidence. Yes, cancel and reschedule if you can.

Generallyok Mon 06-Nov-17 19:56:14

I guess I could try but disco man very booked up so not sure he could change at this late stage.

Yika Mon 06-Nov-17 20:04:54

Honestly I would still cancel and if need be do a completely different style of party or reschedule the disco for much later. You do need a good crowd for a dance party in a hall. What does your DD want to do? How old is she?

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 06-Nov-17 20:07:26

Reschedule! Different disco man if needed. If no one comes she will remember it.

HRoosevelt Mon 06-Nov-17 20:07:42

Can you join up with other parent for joint party?

LEMtheoriginal Mon 06-Nov-17 20:10:31

I was going to suggest a joint party - we did this for dd and her friend and it worked really well. and saved half the cost

PandorasXbox Mon 06-Nov-17 20:12:52

You could approach the other mum and ask if she’d mind if you had a joint party with obviously you paying halves?

emmyrose2000 Wed 08-Nov-17 04:49:07

Firstly, don't be hard on yourself! Unless you're a psychic or in constant contact with the other mother, there was no way you'd have been able to predict this.

Secondly, I'd ring the disco man and ask what your options are re dates. If there's another free date close to your original one, I'd reschedule for that. If not, ring around other disco people. Hopefully someone will have an opening.

If all else fails, has your DD another type of party she'd enjoy just as much on the following weekends? Bowling? Lasertag?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Wed 08-Nov-17 05:32:45

Oh no!

Cancel, and fjnd another disco man.

Whereabouts are you? If it takes some of the stress away for you, I'll check out DJ's in your area for you if you like?

Peachyking000 Wed 08-Nov-17 06:59:34

I would reschedule, and not try to do a joint birthday party, particularly if your daughter wasn’t invited to the other girl’s party in the first place.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 08-Nov-17 07:02:21

Could you invite other friends to bulk up the numbers?

How old is your DD? We have had parties where hardly anyone showed up, I got on the phone and invited everyone I could think of and things were okay. Obviously a older child would notice more though.

CoraPirbright Wed 08-Nov-17 07:20:10

Def reschedule! What’s the point of going to all that trouble and expense if only half the people are going to turn up? Talk to the disco man and find out his availability. Other good options for dates would be end of term or, if he cant do that, push it into Feb of next year for a Valentines disco. And for goodness sake send out emails to save the date much earlier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now