Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for book recommendations

(32 Posts)
readysetcake Mon 06-Nov-17 19:06:54

I’m trying to get back into reading more books. I used to love reading and would go to bed early just so I could read my book. Read on my lunch break etc But the last few years I’ve just not bothered, letting myself get sucked into TV and social media. Nothing wrong with either of those and I enjoy both, but I’d just like to redress the balance a bit and get back to something else I really enjoyed.

But whenever I go to the library or charity shop to get a book I just can’t decide what to read. The few I have picked have been tosh and one I have up on a quarter of the way through. I’ve lost my touch! AIBU to ask for help?!

cariadlet Mon 06-Nov-17 19:08:55

It's a bit hard to say without knowing your tastes. What sort of genre/author did you used to enjoy when you were into reading?

readysetcake Mon 06-Nov-17 19:14:09

I read all sorts! Fantasy, sci fi, and crime are staples but I enjoy getting away from those genres too. I just thought if I heard what other people liked I might find a few gems and and get my reading mojo back.

YouStoleTheBowlFromTheRoom Mon 06-Nov-17 19:22:22

Try The Grown-Up by Gillian Flynn. Clever, creepy and short enough to be considered a novella. Think you might enjoy it 😚

Pengggwn Mon 06-Nov-17 19:24:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouStoleTheBowlFromTheRoom Mon 06-Nov-17 19:25:25

I enjoyed The Circle, too. Also liking The Underground Railroad.

EnglishRose13 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:25:55

B.A Paris.

Easy reads that are gripping. Will get you back into reading.

bathghter Mon 06-Nov-17 19:28:49

@Pengggwn I second this. we are all completely beside ourselves is great!

FlibbertigibbetArmadillo Mon 06-Nov-17 19:32:28

If you like fantasy I highly recommend any from the cosmere series by Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn trilogy is a good way in, or Elantris if you are not ready to commit to a trilogy

cellorama Mon 06-Nov-17 19:36:05

I loved The Power by Naomi Alderman recently - and am also seconding other suggestions of the Circle and We Are All Beside Ourselves.

BluePancakes Mon 06-Nov-17 19:43:25

I like fantasy and sci-fi too.

Bitterwood Trilogy by James Maxey
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (followed by the rest of the books in the mini-series/trilogy which follows on through many of her other books too)
The Light of Eidon by Karen Hancock (and the rest of the Guardian King series)
Arena by Karen Hancock
The Last Survivors by Bobby Adair and TW Piperbrook (and the rest of the Last survivors series)
The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman (and rest of series...)
The Crystal series by Dayo Benson
The Post Human series by David Simpson

These are ones off the top of my head that I particularly enjoyed, and couldn't put down.

Oddmanout Mon 06-Nov-17 19:54:45

Just some I've read recently:

Peter James writes great crime novels, and also great horror novels.

For crime thriller books the Jack Reacher books are excellent - much better than the films.

The 7 Ancient Wonder books by Matthew Reilly are good for fantasy/historical action thrillers.

NotAgainYoda Mon 06-Nov-17 20:00:04

Home
I also third We Are All Completely beside ourselves
I really like Michael Connelly's LA crime books for an easy read
I book I could stop thinking about recently was The Fact of a Body. Grim subject matter (sexual abuse) but so well written

NotAgainYoda Mon 06-Nov-17 20:00:35

could not stop thinking about

lanbro Mon 06-Nov-17 20:02:43

LJ Ross, great crime novels set in the north east

I recommend getting a kindle, I barely watch tv anymore!

readysetcake Mon 06-Nov-17 20:11:14

Thank You so much for your suggestions. Given me loads to look at I’m sure I’ll find ones I enjoy. Think I’ll start with we are all completely beside ourselves as that seems to have gone down well.

I’ve read robin hobb and really enjoyed. Also read the Mathew Reilly books, they’re good fun 😊 I used to have a kindle but it stopped charging. Maybe it’s time to get a new one.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Mon 06-Nov-17 20:12:32

Ian Rankin's Rebus novels are excellent. If you have stopped reading in the last few years you might not have read his more recent ones.
American crime writer James Ellroy is good, Black Dahlia, LA Confidential. For a lighter take on crime the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovitch are funny (she's on about number 24 - I think they ran out of steam at around 15). Agatha Christie for easy but well written.
I love P G Woodhouse, not just the Jeeves and Wooster but the Blandings series is also good.
A few other books I've enjoyed in the case couple of years;

All the light we cannot see
Time after time
A God in ruins
The immortal life of Heneritta Lacks (non fiction)
The Adrian Mole series

IggyAce Mon 06-Nov-17 20:16:39

I'm similar to you OP, I have been reading books by Ruth Ware. I've just started her 3rd novel, the lying game and happily go off to bed to read it.
I'm going to try LJ Ross, thanks for the recommendation.

sm40 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:22:16

I’ve just read behind her eyes. It’s got me thinking long after I finished.

I always recommend I am pilgrim. Homelands in a book.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 06-Nov-17 20:23:22

Uprooted by Naomi Novik is wonderful.

readysetcake Mon 06-Nov-17 20:26:13

Ooo read the immortal life of Henrietta Lacks a few years ago, loki It was brilliant. Highly recommend.
Thanks iggy will look into them. It will be so nice to curl up in bed with good reads. Excited to started!

Gindrinker43 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:52:38

Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London and the rest of the series. Detective story meets Harry Potter for grown ups.

SomethingNewToday Mon 06-Nov-17 20:54:18

Game of Thrones.

The books are truly fantastic, much better than the TV show.

Southbucksoldbuffer Mon 06-Nov-17 20:55:35

Anything by Jasper Fforde try the big over easy or the fourth bear for light reading or the Thursday next series for a longer read. Also Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovich. Think Harry Potter grew up and joined the metropolitan police.

Frouby Mon 06-Nov-17 21:04:51

I thoroughly enjoyed the Vera series and the Shetland series. Also the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French was fantastic. Read them in order if possible.

I didn't enjoy or finish we are all beside ourselves. And I am yet to really enjoy a Kate Atkinson. They are ok but not gripping. Or I didn't think they were.

It so depends on what you find enjoyable. Books others have raved about on here I have been a bit meh about. And stuff I have enjoyed doesnt always get mentioned on threads like this. And books I have loved have been slated.

Reading is such a personal thing. I bloody love my kindle tho as I can usually find something to read for not a lot of money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: