Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To get a babysitter?

(17 Posts)
arielmanto Mon 06-Nov-17 18:26:01

We’ve been to a handful of parties this summer (weddings, “big” birthdays) that ran into the evening. At all of them that had a daytime portion we took DD 22mo for the early part and then one or both of us took her home for dinner/bath/bed routine followed by a babysitter. At all of them without fail we were accosted during the evening and asked Where Has DD Gone? Umm.. to bed?
It seems like my siblings / cousins / rest of world had just brought their toddler with them and let them nap in prams, or wander about with ear defenders on. Some of the kids were fine with it, most were sleeping wherever they could, but I just have no idea when leaving your kid at home in bed became not-the-norm? The idea of dealing with DD at 11pm and then the next day overtired fills me with horror..
did / do you take your tiny people to evening parties? How do they cope?

YellowMakesMeSmile Mon 06-Nov-17 18:28:45

We took them with us if suitable or declined the invite if not. Sometimes just one of us will go if it's something we want to do.

I don't like using babysitters so don't, plenty feel that way.

arielmanto Mon 06-Nov-17 18:35:42

Don’t like using them from a trust POV?

YellowMakesMeSmile Mon 06-Nov-17 18:38:11

No, I just don't like leaving the children other than for work. They are only little for a tiny period, plenty of time for adult only events again once they are adults themselves. We prefer to do things as a family.

ILoveDolly Mon 06-Nov-17 18:39:41

We had a few family weddings the summer when dd2 was 20 months old. Geographically it wasn't really possible to take her home so did the staying up option! I've got pictures of her dancing on the discofloor at 10.30pm with four grown up relatives. Very sweet memories which kind of made up for next few grizzly days.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Nov-17 19:16:46

We have done a mixture of both depending where the event was and whose event it was.

Biscuits101 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:38:46

Ive done exactly the same and taken mine home from a family wedding, (18 mths) they just get tired and cranky and it gives you a chance to enjoy a bit of the event.

The above about only leaving children for work makes me 😮

arielmanto Mon 06-Nov-17 20:35:39

I would only be leaving her when she’s already asleep.. but I do get the hanging out with them whilst they’re little thing. FWIW she’s not in nursery yet and one of us is a SAHM so we do see plenty of her!!

LouJDawe Mon 06-Nov-17 20:44:50

OP do whatever works for you, people on here are so critical I wouldn't even bother asking! Just do what works for your family xx

LouJDawe Mon 06-Nov-17 20:44:53

OP do whatever works for you, people on here are so critical I wouldn't even bother asking! Just do what works for your family xx

Oysterbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 20:59:02

I'd take mine home to bed. There's pretty much nothing worth the fall out of distrupting her sleep routine.

backinthatdress Mon 06-Nov-17 20:59:38

I don't use babysitters so that wouldn't of been an option for me.

I probaly would of just kept her up and let her crash on a chair or if I really wanted adult time on the evening then I would of asked a family/close friend to have her overnight, but more then likely just kept her with me.

backinthatdress Mon 06-Nov-17 21:01:15

But I don't think you have done anything wrong.

My kids have always been pretty easy regarding bed time so keeping them up etc has never been a problem.

AnnaT45 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:03:23

I would do the same as you. I don’t see how they would even know if you’re asleep?

We do sometimes give them late nights for things but they really struggle the next day and it’s not fun!

Do what works for you!

AnnaT45 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:04:03

I mean they’re asleep! You’re probably having a wine thinking you’re cool dancing to little mix. No? Just me then grin

VioletCharlotte Mon 06-Nov-17 21:13:14

Do whatever works for you. I used to take mine out late, but SIL takes my nephew and niece home at bedtime and either gets a baby sitter or they just all go home. No one minds. Just do whatever is best for you and your child.

Cazz81 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:17:17

Every family is different. I would personally use a babysitter from now on, as it just gets very tricky when ds is over tired. I did the mistake of doing what everyone else were doing - bringing their lil ones to evening wedding party. Luckily all the kids eventually fell asleep in their pram except for mine who ended up being over hyper. I had to leave the party earlier (half way through dinner) just to calm and put ds to bed. It ruined my night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now