Talk

Advanced search

To think this is too much food!

(240 Posts)
Rudedog Mon 06-Nov-17 17:27:53

So one of DDs friends moved away and they have been home for weekend and today - so we have been out for tea before they travelled home, to TGI Fridays.

So it's me and DD, DDs friend, her mum and younger sister.
Another friend and mother came too.

I've been shocked by DDs friend weight gain over the last year, it's gotten worse and now I can see the cause. She is 8 and this is what she was allowed to order for dinner....

From the adult menu - mozzarella sticks, a half rack of BBQ ribs with fries, a massive brownie ice cream thing for pudding....
She ate all that PLUS - half of her mums onion rings, half of her mums shrimp pasta and a lot of her cheesecake
PLUS - most of her younger sisters chicken fingers and fries and ice cream (younger sister barely eats anyway)
PLUS - she asked about everyone else's dinners and were they eating them all and tried hoovering up any leftovers.

She then asked about getting sweets.

I've never seen an adult eat that much let alone an 8 year old. I can't believe she wasn't sick (they've got a long car journey so maybe I've spoken too soon.

Me and other parent were a bit taken a back, other parent said 'aren't you full yet?' - her mum said 'she's such a good eater and she's always hungry' - she spoke like it was a positive thing.

I never make DD clear a plate - we talk a lot about eating until we feel full.

I mean I'm not unreasonable am I that even if you child is 'hungry' you say no - it's too much food!

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Mon 06-Nov-17 17:30:05

Thanks for sharing your disgust with us.

DrPill Mon 06-Nov-17 17:31:52

My DD has put weight on, and has a very good appetite. I would be very unhappy about a friend discussing it.

Phosphorus Mon 06-Nov-17 17:34:57

The other parent sounds outright rude, with their 'aren't you full yet?'.

You don't comment on what other people are eating.

Rudedog Mon 06-Nov-17 17:36:58

I think she commented because she was trying to eat her dinner as well and she hadn't even finished

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Mon 06-Nov-17 17:38:25

That's not a reason to comment, she did it to be snide just like you posted to be snide and superior about a child

Itchytights Mon 06-Nov-17 17:38:41

Absolutely none of your business.

Mind your own op.

What someone else's child eats is fuck all to do with you.

mrsharrison Mon 06-Nov-17 17:39:58

Yes this is too much food. Has the child had her annual worming?

Rudedog Mon 06-Nov-17 17:40:11

I'm not being snide I'm genuinely shocked - I'd be shocked if an adult ate that much.

Ginglealltheway Mon 06-Nov-17 17:40:31

I'm shocked by how snide you are.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:41:06

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of outrage on here but if that’s really what she ate then yes it is way too much food and yes a parent ought to say no. Especially if she has gained an unhealthy amount of weight.

MrsGB2225 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:41:16

It's fine having a good appetite, but couldn't the child have had some veggies/salad/fruits?!

FoodGloriousFud Mon 06-Nov-17 17:42:03

I'm agreement tbh, that's an appalling amount of food for an adult let alone a child.

Tottyandmarchpane1 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:42:22

And if my children or their friends ask for an excessive amount of snacks or whatever then I will jokingly say aren’t you full yet, it isn’t rude.

ColinCreevy Mon 06-Nov-17 17:42:28

Oh god you'll have everyone saying it's none of your business and it's perfectly okay but it's grim OP.
She's a kid and she's eating like she's on Man vs Food. It sounds quite gluttonous and it's not a healthy appetite, she's gorging herself on crap.
No I wouldn't say anything if her mum is happy with it but it's certainly not okay and the fact the kid has gained a load of weight indicates she's being set up for problems in the future.

Arealhumanbeing Mon 06-Nov-17 17:42:51

It is too much food.

Wiggypudding Mon 06-Nov-17 17:43:07

OP it's gross and not healthy at all.

maddiemookins16mum Mon 06-Nov-17 17:43:40

That's a lot of food for an 8 year old, I'd be shocked too. I couldn't eat all that and I have a good appetite (greedy at times).
It sounds like a recipe (pun intended) for disaster.

AnnabellaH Mon 06-Nov-17 17:44:28

Is she a 6ft5 8yr old otherwise I struggle to see how an 8yr old could have the stomach size of a competative eater. Do you want a cup of tea to calm your nerves op? brewbiscuit

misscheery Mon 06-Nov-17 17:45:52

Your post did not feel like rude or judgemental to me. I also think this is ridiculous. But can you blame the 8 year old or the mother who sees it as a positive thing? The math is quite simple; the more you eat, the harder it will be to feel full after small quantities.

That sucks. Because she’s doomed to weight issues, possibly weight problems, etc. I feel sad.

Jenpug Mon 06-Nov-17 17:46:28

Too much food for an 8 year old, not so bad if it's a one off because she's eating out though. It's unkind to comment on it though.

overnightangel Mon 06-Nov-17 17:46:37

I’m completely shockthat the OP is getting stick here!

tccat Mon 06-Nov-17 17:48:44

It is a massive amount of food for an adult never mind a child, the parent should be watching what she eats not letting her that amounts of rubbish
It's as good as child abuse in my book, letting your child eat so much that they become obese, set up for a lifetime of ill health and bullying
At that age you are in complete control of your child's diet and it the parents fault if they are fat, there is no excuse for it, don't have crap in the house and no money that they spend on sweets

brasty Mon 06-Nov-17 17:48:52

Yes it is too much food. Some people never feel truly full and have to stop eating before they do to stay a healthy weight. Maybe she is like that?

sparechange Mon 06-Nov-17 17:50:10

I agree, OP

That’s an obscene amount of food for anyone to eat, let alone a young child.

Did the mother seem to register how much the child was eating?

But of course on MN, if an adult has more than 2 glasses of wine, you need to stage an intervention to save them alcoholism and certain death not to mention all the strain on the NHS
but when you see a child gorging themselves on junk food and hearing for childhood obesity, you must mind your own business because it isn’t a health issue at all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: