Talk

Advanced search

To be upset with dinner lady?

(24 Posts)
Pregbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 16:21:26

Today my dd 6 forgot her coat and asked the dinner lady to go into get it and she wouldn't let her, she had to stay out for an hour and said she was freezing.

Pickleypickles Mon 06-Nov-17 16:26:36

I feel like there must be

Are you sure its not something more like kids messing around in school when they should be outside playing. Its hard when they are 6 to know you are gettjng the full story not just what they belive to be the full story.

Regardless of that, it was freezing today and no chils should be made to go coatless surely a teacher or dinner lady could of gone in and grabbed it? Speak to school tomorrow but in more of an enquiring way than a complaining way.

Pickleypickles Mon 06-Nov-17 16:27:33

Garr typos blush

That should also say "i feel there must be more to the story"

Inkandbone Mon 06-Nov-17 16:29:27

I'd be really pissed off as well but some dinner ladies make Hitler look left wing so you need to raise with the school.

Pregbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 16:29:43

She has mentioned before they don't like the kids going back in at dinner time, but hey kids get excited and forget this.

goldensyrupisshit Mon 06-Nov-17 16:33:40

Ahh see did she really forget it or was it a case of not wanting it then realising how
cold it actually is ? Also she wouldn’t have been outside for the whole hour. It’s really shitty that they didn’t let her go and get her coat though.
My daughters preschool have a sign up saying they will not force children to wear coats if they don’t want them on whereas I see it that kids that age shouldn’t really have the choice when it’s really cold / wet.

Pregbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 16:35:08

Inkandbone

I would not have minded dd having a stern warning about how she is meant to bring her coat at the end of lunch. Just to say no and send he back to her freinds though.

Pregbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 16:37:43

Goldensyrupisshit

Probably was like that. Then again I imagine the kids are allowed in for the toilet so what would have been the harm?

goldensyrupisshit Mon 06-Nov-17 16:40:38

I agree Pregbabe also could’ve been wee one asking 5 mins before time to go in.

MirriVan Mon 06-Nov-17 16:49:24

I'd just let it go.
Your daughter probably won't forget her coat again.

ManateeEquineOHara Mon 06-Nov-17 17:09:39

Unless she is landed gentry YABU to call her a lady.

And of course she is BU to not let your DD get her coat.

DancesWithOtters Mon 06-Nov-17 17:26:26

What is the acceptable term these days?

Dinner person? Lunch assistant?

Armadillostoes Mon 06-Nov-17 17:31:17

YANBU That is terrible, at least if the weather where you are is anything like it is here. It's far too cold to be out without a coat and whatever the reason for your DD not having it in the first place the adult involved shouldn't have let her freeze.

Theresnonamesleft Mon 06-Nov-17 17:35:59

It could be orders from higher up no children allowed in the building unaccompanied. Lunch supervisor cannot leave the area because of ratios.

grimeofthecentury Mon 06-Nov-17 17:38:10

There are some massive power trip dinner ladies these days! One at my school has made her own paper slips "Mrs Smiths notes" (not real name!) and she writes the kids misdeeds on them to hand into the teacher. She also makes them freeze to the spot when the bell rings and not move until she says they can. It reminds me of those Chinese exercise drills you see on tv that they do at schools over there.

mustbemad17 Mon 06-Nov-17 17:42:47

Sorry but why was your child even allowed outside without her coat in the first place??! At my daughter's school no child is allowed outside until they are wearing coats. It was absolutely freezing down here; schools have a duty of care in this issue!

FedUpOfMyselfAgain Mon 06-Nov-17 18:48:15

I’m currently a dinner lady (I’m a nice one promise!) but some of my colleagues are awful to the kids. The way they speak to them breaks my heart. I’ve taken it up with the deputy head but nothing has changed.

Sorry, not the point of the thread! I’d have let your DD back in for her coat OP. Some dinner ladies are just mean. Same as doctors receptionists!

RedHelenB Mon 06-Nov-17 18:52:57

Handover notes and staying still.when the velk rings are common practice in a lot of schools. Also the class will have been told to put their costs on before they went out!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 06-Nov-17 18:54:38

DancesWithOtters it's Lunch Time Supervisor around these parts.

DancesWithOtters Mon 06-Nov-17 18:57:35

Ooh. I had no idea.

loveastorm21 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:58:04

Msa here. Midday supervisory assistant. I tend to stick with dinner lady 😳

UrsulaPandress Mon 06-Nov-17 20:12:31

Dinner ladies are the spawn of the devil.

Doomhutch Mon 06-Nov-17 20:14:09

We have this problem CONSTANTLY at school. Children come in to the school, where there is no supervision at lunch because they should be outside, and whenever confronted (even when they're running through the hall screaming) they always initially came in for their coat. We don't have enough money to post an adult inside as well as outside, before someone asks. She needs to learn to remember it. If my child came home and gave me this story I wouldn't be online expecting people to tell me to 'raise it with the school', I'd tell him to remember it next time. Teachers and meal supervisors can't just keep giving warnings, because there are too many kids to keep track of and the kids know that.

NegansBitch Mon 06-Nov-17 20:31:24

I'm a dinner lady.... I make sure the children all have their coats before they go outside. Once outside they are allowed to take it off if they're too warm, but I prefer them all to take it out with them in case they do get cold and need it. The children are allowed to go into the toilet, but there is only 1 set of toilets they are allowed to go to which is just inside the door, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting a 6yr old into the school on their own, an accident takes a second and if they're alone there is no-one to help. Also if there was a fire....someone would have to go in searching for the child.

If you aren't happy then I am sure your school will be happy to discuss it with you. Maybe have a word and ask that they can ask the DL to remind children to take their coats out with them. At 6 they do try the "I don't want my coat" and "I was too warm in it this morning" lines, but they do still need reminding. They are on the cusp of teachers wanting more independence from them, yet they still do need reminding

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: