Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think my 2.5 month old is teething?

(25 Posts)
piggleiggle83949 Mon 06-Nov-17 14:50:52

At weigh clinic the health visitor dismissed me today as over reacting because I suggested my 2.5 month old daughter could possibly be teething.

My first child got 4 teeth at 4 months old after a month of hell so I am inclined to think the same could happen again. She says many symptoms I describe are part of ‘normal development’ and nothing more. And said it’s not that common for teething to happen this early.

Constant gnawing on hands
A lot of dribble
Very irritable when usually fairly placid
Sleep pattern changed (less sleeping)
Refusing some feeds even when it’s been over 4 hours since last (usually 2-3 hourly)
Pooing less than normal
Slight colour to her cheeks, not red raw but slightly rosy

She just made me feel a bit stupid for suggesting it and wondered if many others have experienced this and discovered it was teething?!

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Mon 06-Nov-17 14:52:34

I was born with teeth my mum could see them just under my gum it wasn't that long after that they come through.

kissmethere Mon 06-Nov-17 14:53:38

Yes it's possible.

WhatwouldAryado Mon 06-Nov-17 14:54:13

Every health visitor (when I have dismissed teething as a possibility). Ok that's 3 women. Has pointed out teeth are developing in the gum before they erupt. So basically . They are teething. Yes.

Callamia Mon 06-Nov-17 14:55:38

I could see teeth under the bottom gum at 11weeks, so why not? They’ve still not come through (14w), but the white is visible.

Dahlietta Mon 06-Nov-17 14:57:23

Both of mine have had at least 2 teeth by the age of 3 months!

Thiswitcheshatisnotmine Mon 06-Nov-17 14:57:26

It is early but not unhesrd of. Dd1 started teething just after 3 months, they all appeared in her gums but it took three more months for the first 2 to come through. Sour smelling nappies and rash are always the biggest sign mine have major teething going on.

Dd2 is just gummy apart from 2 front teeth which just popped into her gums from nowhere and are making their way through with minimal fuss.

piggleiggle83949 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:13:42

Thanks for replying!

I’m pretty sure that’s what’s causing all the upset and discomfort but she seemed to think it was ridiculous to suggest it! confused

shoofly Mon 06-Nov-17 20:17:32

DS1 was born with two teeth. I kept being assured by various midwives and Drs that "it's not uncommon". Given the parade of medical staff who came to visit to have a look, I did doubt this. But in the circumstances, I don't think yabu.

MrTrebus Mon 06-Nov-17 20:25:52

This sort of thing is why I stopped going to see the health visitors at the children's centre, they're so quick to dismiss stuff. Use your own instincts and start alleviating your poor baby's symptoms.

newmum7369 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:36:33

I couldn't written that myself OP - everything accept for the fewer poos.

My 14 week old has been dribbling, gnawing, not sleeping properly and generally grouchy for 2-3 weeks. I reckon it's teeth so have been giving him granuals which seem to help.

piggleiggle83949 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:49:35

Use your own instincts and start alleviating your poor baby's symptoms.

hmm
I am helping her symptoms in every way I can.

It was only mentioned to the HV because she was obviously distressed during weighing so I explained what I thought was causing it.

3luckystars Mon 06-Nov-17 20:54:01

A girl I know had a baby boy born with 2 teeth.

DumbledoresPensieve Mon 06-Nov-17 21:02:05

My DS cut his first two teeth at 16 weeks and had them all (minus the last four big back ones which we're still waiting on at 19m) by 12 months.

Not that uncommon to teethe fairly early. I always knew when one was coming (aside from the usual) because we'd have khaki poops for a day or two. Yuck!

Desmondo2016 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:25:26

It is , of course, possible bit equally every mother I've ever met, myself included, thinks their two and a half month old may be teething. I think teething symptoms must be the same as symptoms of being a two and a half month old!

RedPandaMama Mon 06-Nov-17 21:31:37

OP my 12 week old has a lot of similar symptoms. She's sleeping a lot longer at night but struggling to nap in the day, constant chewing hands or sometimes just chews my nipple rather than proper feeding, has started occasionally refusing feeds or crying as if she's struggling or in pain, less pooing and constantly drooling everywhere - like, outfit soaking, through the bib amounts of drool!

I'm sure she's teething too.

Littlecaf Mon 06-Nov-17 21:35:44

My 7 week old clearly has teeth visible in the gum and has since birth. Your list has made me think his behaviour the last few days could be teething.

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Mon 06-Nov-17 21:41:46

My dd had two teeth by 11 weeks. Don’t forget you need to brush as soon as the teeth come through and prepare yourself for them losing their milk teeth early.

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Mon 06-Nov-17 21:43:45

DS2 started teething at 3 months and didn't get his first tooth until 11 months. And babies are born with teeth.

Holz657 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:47:31

Possible. My 3 month old started about half a month ago. Still no teeth in sight but drooling like mad and wanting to bite anything!

Believeitornot Mon 06-Nov-17 21:50:20

Given that the teeth are actually just under the gum, then it’s hard to really know until they’re just popping through.

My babies changed so much every week or so that I kept labelling it as one thing or another without actually knowing really.

Does it matter? Teething is normal development, if you think baby is teething and isn’t ill then go with your instinct.

tinypop4 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:10:58

Dd had her first tooth at 12 weeks and the second a week later. She's 5 now and lost those 2 baby teeth at 4.7

Sashkin Tue 07-Nov-17 00:47:53

Mine has had those symptoms since ten weeks too. He’s currently nearly 8 months, with no teeth through yet. The dribbling has improved a bit over the last month, but everything else is pretty much unchanged.

Those symptoms are normal for three month old babies. They chew their hands, they dribble, they have various sleep regressions, their gut is developing so their poo frequency and consistency is changing (we had a blissful three months prior to weaning when DS only pooed once a week).

Your DC might be teething as well, but those symptoms alone wouldn’t be enough to convince me.

LellyMcKelly Tue 07-Nov-17 00:52:00

I cut my first tooth at 3 months. My DD cut hers at about 15 weeks and my DS about 4 months, so no, not unreasonable at all.

piggleiggle83949 Tue 07-Nov-17 01:36:57

Does it matter? Teething is normal development, if you think baby is teething and isn’t ill then go with your instinct.

Of course it doesn’t matter!

I was just curious if many others had gone through this as despite my first being a pretty early teether she seemed hmm at the suggestion.

It was only a passing comment that I thought she could be teething because the HV remarked on how unhappy she was, i wasn’t making a fuss about it.

Anyway thanks for replying it seems pretty common as I first though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now