Advanced search

To ask how you wake yourself up?

(35 Posts)
FGSholdthedoor Mon 06-Nov-17 11:26:22

I'm terrible in the mornings.
If I'm waking up early I'm like a tired moody murderous squirrel (DHs opinion) and it takes me ages to come around.
If I get a lay in I feel like someone knocked me out and get the usual swollen face, dry lips and almost feeling hungover.

What do you do to get yourself feeling and acting human ASAP in the morning?

Justbookedasummmerholiday Mon 06-Nov-17 11:30:54

Always leave the bedroom window open - all year round or also get that hungover feeling.

TrojansAreSmegheads Mon 06-Nov-17 11:31:38

a gallon of coffee.

Floralnomad Mon 06-Nov-17 11:33:22

I’m not a morning person and rarely go to sleep before 1/2 am , alarm goes off at 6 then I snooze until 7:30 ish and then get up . Never have windows open overnight but I do have a dehumidifier in the bedroom . I find that waking early and then having a lie in makes getting up more palatable .

ChesterFuckingDraws Mon 06-Nov-17 11:34:04

I give myself 10mins to just lay in bed, have a drink of water (I take water to bed each night), stretch and kind of gather myself together then straight into the shower then dressed (maybe takes 20mins) and I hardly speak. Usually by the time I’m dressed I feel more human/awake and not as moody.

LindyHemming Mon 06-Nov-17 11:35:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Battleax Mon 06-Nov-17 11:36:17

Yes sunrise alarm clocks are fab. And I have a teasmade next to mine grin

amusedbush Mon 06-Nov-17 11:38:07

My alarm goes off at 7am and I lay in bed checking social media until 7.30ish before I get up. That gives me enough time to come around to the idea of going to work grin

Lethaldrizzle Mon 06-Nov-17 11:38:53

Go to bed earlier and turn your bedroom into a sleep sanctuary - black out curtains and no electronic devices

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 06-Nov-17 11:39:37

Lumie light + shit loads of coffee

bedtimestories Mon 06-Nov-17 11:40:27

I have a lumie too, best thing ever, such a natural wake up

cingolimama Mon 06-Nov-17 11:44:12

I get my coffee and read for 10 minutes. Wakes my brain up. Allows me space within my own head before I start dealing with the world.

kaytee87 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:56:18

My toddler wakes me through the baby monitor between 6-6.30 and I just have to get up or he will start crying. I used to really struggle getting up but now I just have to I don’t really think about it.

thegreylady Mon 06-Nov-17 11:58:51

Cup of tea in bed (bedside kettle) with very big mug.

littlepeas Mon 06-Nov-17 12:02:53

I've had a lumie for a year and I have just realised, reading this thread, that it has made a huge difference to how I feel getting out of bed in the morning! Lumie plus nedpresso machine!! A very good combo.

dratsea Mon 06-Nov-17 12:20:14

Have a son who needs to get the 0715 bus.

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Mon 06-Nov-17 12:22:23

I make sure that my alarm is set for the end of a full sleep cycle. So I aim for 6 hours sleep. 😀

murphys Mon 06-Nov-17 12:38:55

Soothing song set for alarm to wake me at 5am. Then I snooze it ONCE, so get up 5.10. Then I make myself a cup of coffee (kettle has boiled as set on timer before I go to bed) and go back to bed with coffee to drink it there in peace and quiet, before the craziness of the morning starts when the dc are up. I might check a few whatsapp group msg, or I just lay there sip my brew.

I am not a morning person either, but if I do it gradually, it seems ok. I absolutely am not one of those people who jump up immediately the alarm goes, then all actions stations. I have to ease into it.

Wake dc up at 5.30 - 5.40 so I have some time to get myself going.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Mon 06-Nov-17 12:44:33

Alarm clock on the other side of the room. Any "snoozing" and I am 1000 times worse. Get up, walk across room in grumpy near sleep to switch alarm off, stand there confused for a moment or two, wander to bathroom, switch on radio 4, start morning rituals on autopilot.

I am completely flummoxed if anything is even in slightly the wrong place, e.g. towel on wrong hook, facewash moved, clothes laid out the night before have something inside out. Fucked almost comedically. Mostly it's fine though and I'm awake before the sports news

dratsea Mon 06-Nov-17 12:52:59

Rabbit You miss the shipping? sad shock

ComingUpTrumps Mon 06-Nov-17 23:51:21

Thanks for this thread OP - watching with interest smile

paxillin Tue 07-Nov-17 00:01:02

I think step 1 is no MNetting at stupid o'clock at night grin.

I haven't found a way yet. Most things I absolutely had to do in life, faking it until it was real worked. So maybe a fake cheerful nature at 6am? Perhaps jump out of bed: THE DAY IS HERE, HUZZAH! GIMME TASKS!

EBearhug Tue 07-Nov-17 00:05:42

I think step 1 is no MNetting at stupid o'clock at night

Also open bedroom window, air temperature not too hot, and Lumie sunrise alarm.

Usually what actually gets me out of bed is needing the loo.

LadyDeLaFuente Tue 07-Nov-17 00:16:46

I'm not a morning person and also used to have a Lumie.

Nowadays, I turn my phone on as soon as the alarm goes off. There are normally some messages and emails to read and which I'm too nosy to ignore. I read them through the sleep in my eyes.

Then I give myself 15 mins to read the online paper. Still lying in bed. By the time I've read messages and the daily news, my eyes are no longer glued shut.

HighburyHattie Tue 07-Nov-17 00:22:15

Getting in the shower ASAP gets me ‘officially awake’ and ready for the day

I wonder if there’s something else causing this for you as you have a regular disdain for waking up - like winter depression/low vitamins?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now