Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to hate lemon dishwasher tablets?

(15 Posts)
BriechonCheese Sun 05-Nov-17 23:05:38

DH accidentally bought lemon scented dishwasher tablets and now there is constant acrid, false lemon scent, choking the air in the entire downstairs of our house.

Plus I'm pretty sure everything tastes slightly lemony.

I mentioned it to my friend and she looked at me like I had two heads and said "lemon is the best scent ever!"
Agreed, if it's real lemon and not that false, catch-you-in-the-back-of-the-throat, cousin of toilet cleaner lemon.

Am I alone in this hatred? When we moved into our first flat together, the previous owner had left a huge tub of dishwasher tablets and being impoverished graduates with babies, we couldn't afford to throw them away but the scent knocked me sick. So now over a decade later that lemon scent feels like it burns my nostril hair.

Does anyone else hate lemon scented dishwasher tablets? Or any other common household product scents. Any fake vanilla smells make me have a terrible, terrible headache.

DramaAlpaca Sun 05-Nov-17 23:10:18

I'm with you, OP. I bought lemon ones once by mistake and hated the smell & the lemony aftertaste that I'm convinced was there.

I don't like strongly fragranced cleaning or laundry products generally, as I find the scent triggers headaches.

I can't bear scented candles either for the same reason.

Liiinoo Sun 05-Nov-17 23:11:21

I,love the,lemon ones bit don't often have them as they aren't in special,offer as often as the 'normal' ones.

AnathemaPulsifer Sun 05-Nov-17 23:12:02

With you all the way. Hate them.

Sunshineandshopping Sun 05-Nov-17 23:12:25

Yes everything tastes of them, awful. DH says he can’t taste it. I am a super senser.

BriechonCheese Sun 05-Nov-17 23:12:42

I find on my online supermarket shops it only ever tends to be the lemon ones that are on offer. I tend to buy in bulk from the cash and carry or B&M.

BriechonCheese Sun 05-Nov-17 23:16:58

I'm so glad I'm not alone!
It seems like such a small thing to quibble over but when it's all you can smell and taste it becomes quite the sensory overload.

Damn lemon scented brie for lunch today.

RemainOptimistic Sun 05-Nov-17 23:24:52

Yuck, YANBU!

Get the aldi plain ones, dead good and cheap!

Ditto the fake vanilla, bleugh.

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Sun 05-Nov-17 23:26:40

YANBU! When I got my first dishwasher we came across a really good deal for the lemon scented fairy dishwasher tablets and stocked up. They left an aftertaste on everything, the smell was awful, turned my stomach every time but money was tight so couldn't get rid of them.

Also once got one of the lemon zest (or similar) Soap and Glory gift sets. I don't understand how anyone can bathe/wash in that scent, it smells like cheap toilet cleaner.

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Sun 05-Nov-17 23:27:28

I second the commenter who recommends the cheap Aldi ones, they're all I'll use now

PurplePillowCase Sun 05-Nov-17 23:28:24

I'm with you.
worse are only apple scented cleaning products.
why?!?!

DramaAlpaca Sun 05-Nov-17 23:41:52

The Aldi ones are the ones I use too.

Notlostjustexploring Sun 05-Nov-17 23:41:54

YES!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!! I'm not going mad!! Our silicone spatula is definitely scented with lemon, and it transfers upon the briefest of contact. Lemony cheesy omelette, not nice. Husband thinks I'm mad and can't see what the problem is.

And yes to headaches from many artificial scents, especially laundry related ones.

yolofish Sun 05-Nov-17 23:43:43

Worst are those posh Finish ones (which I never buy but DH did) - they make me choke every time I open the packet. Own label non-scented all the way for me.

BriechonCheese Sun 05-Nov-17 23:46:30

Yes it's the Finish ones he bought, they are vile. I feel strangled by them.

We usually use the cheap Aldi ones (even snapped in half from time to time) but will stock up when we find deals in the cash and carry or B&M.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now