Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Building works on a Sunday

(23 Posts)
nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 16:58:53

My neighbours are having the interior of their house done ( walls knocked down, wires & electrics pretty much everything)
The building started 2 weeks ago and it’s loud, but we are mostly at work & School during the week so it’s ok for a couple of hours a day.
Today they started drilling at 8am and they are still drilling & hammering now - it’s driving me mad.
WIBU to object to this level of noise in a Sunday?
If this is going to be every weekend for the next 8 weeks I’m going to have to go out all weekend!

WhatwouldAryado Sun 05-Nov-17 17:00:58

It's not that late. They should down tools Soon?

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:02:24

I know it’s not late but it is Sunday, I have already had the noise for 6 other days this week. Also 8 am start on a Sunday is quite early

Nightmanagerfan Sun 05-Nov-17 17:05:40

Most councils have strict rules about power tools - where I live they can’t be used later than 1pm on a Saturday and not at all on Sunday. Check your local website

paperandpaint Sun 05-Nov-17 17:08:38

Noisy work is not allowed in a Sunday at all. You have every right to a peaceful Sunday so say something if it’s causung you upset. Some people are fine with excess noise and I’m sure will say you are BU. I’m awful with noise and would definitely say something if it was me. Good luck!

Str4ngedaysindeed Sun 05-Nov-17 17:22:13

Definitely check your local council. It is a general rule that Saturday work is only allowed until 1pm and none on a Sunday. I am currently involved in a massive dispute with the builders who did some work on the school behind our house who spent every Saturday and Sunday working illegally. Sadly I'm getting nowhere as they are arseholes of the highest order. As are the so called 'considerate constructors schemes'. Have been fuming since august and being no joy!!!

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:25:51

Just checked the local council website, it says it’s ok 10am to 4pm in Sunday’s. I don’t want anything to escalate in to a big argument but I am annoyed they haven’t shown a bit more consideration ( they have moved out until the work is done, so I get the pleasure of the noise, dirt & vans parked over my drive while they get a nice quiet Sunday!)

Str4ngedaysindeed Sun 05-Nov-17 17:27:43

Blimey that is unusual. It's awful isn't it? I really feel for you.

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:30:50

Actually just had a look at a different bit, building works and demolition is not ok on Sundays - the bit I looked at was DIY using noisy tools. I think today was the woman’s dad rather than the proper builders it probably counts as DIY

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:36:27

It's not 'ok', but this will last 8 weeks. Surely it's not worth falling out over when you'll be neighbours for the next 10 years or so. confused

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:38:16

I don’t want to fall out with them, that’s why I said I don’t want it to turn into an argument!

WhirlwindHugs Sun 05-Nov-17 17:39:20

I would say something, if it's a relative doing DIY, he may not realise that there are rules.

I wouldn't want noise all day, every day for 8 weeks.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:41:29

But you said 'would I be unreasonable to object to this level of noise on a Sunday' or words to that effect.

If you object, whether you have the moral highground or not, you'll possibly fall out. Or there will be an atmosphere.

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:41:54

During the week it’s definitely builders, today I couldn’t see the van so I think it’s a relative.
Thinking about not wanting to fall out with them and not saying anything - they are obviously not that worried about falling out with me or they would show a little bit more consideration.

TheDodgyShoesOfDrFoster Sun 05-Nov-17 17:42:06

Everyone will say "well, it is allowed". It may well be allowed, but that does not make it reasonable. A shortage of peace and quiet can take such a toll on mental and physical health, and I'm sorry that you are suffering from the selfishness of your neighbours. If I ran the world noise nuisance would be treated so much more seriously. We need to make making noise that can be heard in someone else's home as unacceptable as smoking in public now is.

Kochicoo Sun 05-Nov-17 17:42:35

That's really inconsiderate and I would definitely go and say something (nicely). Poor you.

Meandyouandyouandme Sun 05-Nov-17 17:46:51

If they are not living in it, it can’t be classed as DIY regardless of who is doing the work. It’s a building site and so is subject to the council rules. Try asking them to stop work on a Sunday, if no luck then try the council.

Meandyouandyouandme Sun 05-Nov-17 17:49:34

If they are knocking walls down and doing a rewrire, new plumbing etc, it might take longer than 8 weeks. Maybe they could do quieter stuff at the weekends.

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:51:10

I didn’t know it was classed differently if they are not living there.
I’m not going to say anything to them today but if they carry on next Sunday I think I will have a chat with them about it ( we’ve got friends coming for dinner next Sunday - if it’s anything like today was we will all be shouting over the dinner table to be heard!)

Bombardier25966 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:56:36

if no luck then try the council.

And live with the consequences for the next twenty years.

nancy75 Sun 05-Nov-17 17:59:34

That’s the thing, I don’t want to go down the route of councils and big arguments but I would like to be able to spend a few hours in my house without the need for earplugs & a packet of nurofen!

Urubu Sun 05-Nov-17 18:09:49

Just send a friendlt text to NDN asking them to remind their builders about council rules.
Include the times when they have worked out of authorized hours this week so there is a written log.

Str4ngedaysindeed Sun 05-Nov-17 18:44:45

Me again! We had ndn building work a couple of years ago too - we get on extremely well with them but when it came to every saturday and Sunday - ndns away for it all - I did go a bit beserk at the builders first then just sent a text to the neighbours saying it really wasn't too good having this all week and weekend and they were quite aghast and got it stopped. It's just awful having noise all day every day, it can send you quite mad. Just try the friendly approach as they honestly won't know how bad it is until you say something

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now