Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this Mothercare staff is making up her own procedure

(12 Posts)
Emmagarden Sun 05-Nov-17 15:06:53

I went to a local Mothercare store to return a baby grow with the receipt and even brought the gift card I purchased it with. This member of Staff was really rude, saying she could not issue me a refund when I told her the gift card balance is 0 (as I have spent it all previously). Hubby also got to the till and explained but she ignored (with annoyance expression on her face) saying back that she needed to call a colleague to check. Her colleague explained to her that it'd be not a problem and sorted it out. Then she refused to give me the refund receipt, requesting to see my signature on bank card to verify my signature on the return receipt. I didn't buy it with a bank card so I wasn't happy with this request but still do so to get it over with. Thought that was just it but she still didn't give me back my receipt and gift card. She then asked what is your email address, at that point I was raging, and said I don't want the receipt to be sent to my email, or being bombarded by Mothercare's ads.

AIBU ? It was easy to return stuffs with gift cards from Debenhams, John Lewis, they simply issue another giftcard with the balance... this staff also has me to spell out my whole street name, normally I only need to state post code and house number...

I do wonder if I am being unreasonable. Pregnancy hormones and lack of sleep due to being waken up in pain with bad cramps and little one being active at night that I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep.
TIA

hotmilkandcrunchynuts Sun 05-Nov-17 15:10:07

Sounds like something and nothing. Isn't this the kind of interaction you forget about by the time you get back to the car?

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Nov-17 15:11:17

They appear to have a training issue. She didn't know the procedure and had to check. You got your refund so I can't see the harm.

Emmagarden Sun 05-Nov-17 15:13:32

I feel bad about raising my voice when she asked about the email address. It bothered me as now being a mother, I think I should change bad habits to set a good example for the kid.

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Sun 05-Nov-17 15:16:00

They seemed really unpleasant OP. YANBU. Returning items should be a fairly simple operation so am not sure why they were so difficult.

I’m also a little jealous you still have a Mothercare near you. The 3 closest to me have closed down.

Bombardier25966 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:16:14

You admit you're being oversensitive, you're tired and hormonal.

Stores are getting tighter on record keeping with returns, hence the signature. They're creating an audit trail in case of fraud (on the customer's part or a staff member). The email address thing is getting more normal too, just say no or make one up.

No harm done.

Bumblesbees Sun 05-Nov-17 15:16:49

You need to get a grip.

PotteringAlong Sun 05-Nov-17 15:19:53

You raised your voice when they asked you for an email to send you receipt to? Just say no if you don't want to, don't be rude about it. You're making this into something and nothing.

Emmagarden Sun 05-Nov-17 15:25:26

Thank you Bombardier for explaining why they need to verify signature. I thought she's just made it up to cover her incompetency in dealing with processing refund onto giftcard.

PotteringAlong: I shouldn't have raised my voice, that's why it is bothering me now. Need to learn to relax more and calm down to avoid making same mistakes. Thank you

Emmagarden Sun 05-Nov-17 15:27:56

Pottering Along: the way this staff worded the request made it sound mandatory to get my email as part of the refund process rather than would you like to receive your e-receipt by email...

Uptheduffy Sun 05-Nov-17 15:30:12

I stopped shopping in mother are as there were issues with staff every time I went in. Just not worth it.

Gemini69 Sun 05-Nov-17 15:54:48

the Store Staff member who served you ... sounds like a stroppy entitled up her own arse cheeky cow.... I like Mothercare in general though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now