Talk

Advanced search

Offensive children tshirt

(86 Posts)
UserWhatYouLike Sun 05-Nov-17 13:54:22

Was at soft play earlier with my sister and our respective dc. My dc are white British, sisters are mixed white British/Jamaican.

As we were leaving a black woman came up to my sister and had a go at her, telling her that her sons top was offensive and that she should be ashamed of herself for putting it on him as it is racist because it had ‘cheeky monkey’ written on it. It’s just a bog standard long sleeved tshirt from Asda. My sister told the woman to mind her own business and we left. My sister is furious, she doesn’t think she’s done anything wrong, and the fact this was all done in front of the dc is getting to her as she had to explain to her 6 year old he wasn’t racist. But it’s got me thinking if she would have said something if it was one of my white dc wearing it?

Would you think it was offensive/racist if you saw it? And does it make a difference the race of the child wearing it?

GilligansKitchenIsland Sun 05-Nov-17 13:57:19

I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw it - on any race of child. I'm mixed race if that makes a difference.
Some people are constantly on the lookout for a reason to be offended.
Sorry that your nephew had to witness that.

pinkblink Sun 05-Nov-17 13:57:50

there's nothing wrong with it, not being racist I wouldn't have made the association, maybe the woman needs to worry about herself and not whether your sister is racist!

Meninist Sun 05-Nov-17 13:59:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MoodyMumOfOne Sun 05-Nov-17 14:00:36

Oh for fucks sake! If she's not got anything better to do, she can take up her "cause" with the shops!

PinkHeart5914 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:03:57

No I wouldn’t think it racist or offensive on any race. But then I do think some people go out looking for something to be offended by tbh

A monkey is just an animal that’s a bit cheeky and energetic, a bit like most young dc

Capricorn76 Sun 05-Nov-17 14:05:51

If this happened I'm the monkeys uncle - 1/10. I'm mixed race, black people do not associate themselves with monkeys only racists do so I've literally never heard of a black person take offence over something they don't even believe in.

In addition I'm sick of made up race scandals designed to make it look as if all minorities are sitting around waiting to be offended so the more gullible white people can complain about said minorities being offended by stupid shit.

Anasnake Sun 05-Nov-17 14:06:22

Our local soft play centre is called 'Cheeky Monkeys' - what nonsense !

ClaryFray Sun 05-Nov-17 14:06:48

This is why I hate people. Ignore her

permatiredmum Sun 05-Nov-17 14:07:16

I would be a bit hmm at seeing a white woman with a small black child labelled as 'cheeky monkey'
Remember the childminder who wrote 'n****r' on a black mindees forehead.
I don't think your sis did anything wrong and I think the woman was out of order, but I can see whence the seed of doubt came.

Trailedanderror Sun 05-Nov-17 14:07:49

MaisyPops Sun 05-Nov-17 14:09:19

Bourdic Sun 05-Nov-17 14:09:22

However, to be fair, there was a time in football when some spectators used to throw bananas onto the pitch at black players whilst making monkey noises. There are sensitivities around this

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Nov-17 14:10:17

What childminder???

WorraLiberty Sun 05-Nov-17 14:10:40

Bourdic Sun 05-Nov-17 14:11:33

www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/richard-evans-throwing-bananas-at-black-sportsmen-has-been-recognised-as-racism-across-europe-for-decades/news-story/afcb5d4a634119b327507e7616755e0b

This provides some context for you young ‘uns

MrsFionaCharming Sun 05-Nov-17 14:22:39

We’ve had the exact thread before. I can’t believe it’s happened twice, I can barely believe it’s happened once.

UserWhatYouLike Sun 05-Nov-17 14:24:53

I assure you it’s not made up.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 05-Nov-17 14:25:38

hotmilkandcrunchynuts Sun 05-Nov-17 14:27:33

I would be a bit hmm at seeing a white woman with a small black child labelled as 'cheeky monkey

Then you would be the racist one, if you make a line between mixed race child and monkey. The mother did not (like any normal person would not).
It's the people who draw a link with race that are being offensive.

TheStoic Sun 05-Nov-17 14:27:39

Why did your sister have to explain to her son that he wasn’t racist? Did he even know what ‘being racist’ means?

Sarahjconnor Sun 05-Nov-17 14:28:31

My silly silly little brother (19) was locked up for racial abuse after calling his mate a 'cheeky monkey' when a black police officer was, unbeknownst to him, stood about 6 feet behind him (they were in a chicken shop at 3am). It took a black uncle who is also a barrister and the CCTV footage to get him out about 15 hours later. We're a mixed race family and had never associated black people with any other species because that's completely fucking absurd and horrifically racist so it never occurred to my brother it could ever be racist.

StealthPolarBear Sun 05-Nov-17 14:29:12

No... No

Cheeseontoastie Sun 05-Nov-17 14:30:28

I don't think this is made up. There was a shop that was labelled 'racist' for dressing two black or mixed race (can't remember) children in monkey dress up customes whilst the other different race children were other animals, if anyone remembers?? So people do clearly think these things..

BertrandRussell Sun 05-Nov-17 14:33:45

"A monkey is just an animal that’s a bit cheeky and energetic, a bit like most young dc"
Tell that to black footballers who are bombarded with monkey noises from the spectators.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: