Talk

Advanced search

To feel sad feeling after this house viewing?

(25 Posts)
RainbowsAndCrystals Sat 04-Nov-17 20:20:50

Empty for years and still had the items in from the previous owner .. shoes, teddy bears, scrapbooks full of newspaper cuttings. Even an old highchair.

I just got a sad feeling about the place, like something bad happened there.

Aibu? Or has anyone else had a sad/error feeling about a place?

yerbutnobut Sat 04-Nov-17 21:03:54

House I lived in years ago had a feeling, it was my first house with EXDP and after few weeks realised it gave me an uneasy feeling that I couldn't put my finger on. Split with DP after few months of living there and was told afterwards by a neighbour that we were the third couple to move in and split within a year. After I sold it my Dsis said that she had always felt uneasy there.

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:09:29

Before DP and I bought our home we viewed a few. One made me very sad. It had been a couple's family home for 60 years, they had moved in just after they married in their early 20s, they raised their children there. The wife got ill and the husband adapted the downstairs of the house for her, with an odd little wet room bit/tiled area in the corner of the kitchen that stank of wee blush
She died and he needed to sell to pay for himself to go into a home. When we viewed it he was right there, sitting stuck in his chair, and he told us all this. He was over 80. The children's bedrooms had been left exactly as they were when they left home. Family photos all over the walls. It was very run down, it needed a LOT of work. The kitchen was basically unusable. It was very cold and just felt generally sad. We visited on an open day and my heart really went out to this old man sitting watching lots of people tramp all through his lifelong home tutting at how much work it needed doing to it.
We didn't buy it because we decide that no matter what we did to it, how much we changed it, it would always feel like that man's home. We felt we would always be trespassing. 60 years of memories would sink into the walls I think. That was a sad house. This was nearly 2 years ago now and I still think about him and wonder if he's still alive.

whirlygirly Sat 04-Nov-17 21:14:56

We saw one that was utterly creepy. They were desperate to sell and told us so. They couldn't afford to stay but couldn't sell it.

I was great value and a beautiful double fronted character property. I was convinced we'd take it before the viewing. The atmosphere inside was really oppressive though. There was a bedroom I couldn't bear to stay in. I kept an eye on it and it was still on the market years later. I still think about them.

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:16:13

I have another one, but this is very woo. Not for the faint hearted grin
I very much believe in instincts about the way houses/places feel.

I lived in a town that is associated with a very famous festival as a child for over 10 years and lived in two houses there. They both had a very dark 'presence' to them, there is no other way to describe it really. In the first house I felt generally uneasy, a near constant sense of being watched. We had a spare room and at the time it was full of junk, you know, toys, cardboard boxes, and paperwork. Normal stuff. Almost every night we would hear what sounded exactly like someone rifling through all our stuff. If you went in there though there was never anything to see, just the noise. It was a very unsettling feeling.

The second house was far creepier. I lived there until I was in my early teens, and several years after moving in that house developed such an intense sense of menace. I have never felt anything like it in any building before or since. It was a big three story town house that had once been divided into two flats (upstairs and downstairs) and a bedsit (attic). When it was converted back to one house the two kitchens remained. So we had a downstairs kitchen that was used normally, and an upstairs kitchen that we used to store old kitchen equipment in.

To me that upstairs kitchen had always had an odd feeling about it, but it was basically fine. Our dozy old Labrador didn't like it though, he would stand on the landing barking at it, hackles up. But we just ignored him. My sister and I used to play in it, but then when I was 10 years old it got some sort of inhabitant. A very powerful angry one. Again, we never saw what it was. Just heard it.

Something in that kitchen started moving pots and pans around. We would hear the noise at night, and sure enough, mum would check and pots and pans had been moved around. It started off like the normal sounds of someone cooking. We thought it was really strange, but a bit amusing to start with, we nicknamed him 'pots and pans man.' But then it particularly seemed to happen when my sister and I were on our own together in the house, she was older than me and would keep an eye on me while mum and dad were out in the evenings occasionally. 'Pots and pans man' got out increasingly out of control, whatever he/it was, kitchen stuff would be thrown around, stuff would hit the walls, plates would be smashed. And someone would scream, like a high pitched piercing scream, like a whooshing in the ears. It was like the kitchen was humming, vibrating, shaking the whole house. We could hear and see everything, but not who/what was causing it. It was like that kitchen became possessed. I never went in it ever again.

After this, the entire house was transformed. Such an awful bad feeling came over the house, I used to experience the most intense instinct to run out of my bedroom, past this awful kitchen, and down the stairs as fast as I could. The whole upstairs became virtually uninhabitable, everything about that house just screamed at us that we had to leave. My whole family felt the same way. We couldn't get out quickly enough after that.

It was easily the most frightening experience of my whole life. And it has made me incredibly wary about houses and buildings in my adult life, I will refuse to set foot anywhere where I don't like the initial vibe. I just googled that house and it came up on right move, there's no pictures of that kitchen, but the pictures of the house alone were enough to make me go cold.

koalab Sat 04-Nov-17 21:18:26

I viewed two identical houses. One still had the family in but apparently they were splitting up. The house had a very negative feel. We bought the other one which was empty but somehow felt more homely.

Littlefuckers Sat 04-Nov-17 21:28:19

roconnel you have to post a link to that house, I've gone all goosebumpy reading your post 👻

fantaseas Sat 04-Nov-17 21:28:39

My friend came with me to view a house once.

It was a “fixer upper”, empty but the previous occupant’s belongings were still everywhere, it just looked so old and dusty and we both got an awful feeling from it, especially upstairs. There were rat traps upstairs which may not have helped grin

When we came back downstairs there was a shiny watch on the fireplace which looked really out of place with all the dark dusty stuff in the rest of the house, we asked the estate agent if it was his as it definitely wasn’t there when we first walked in but it wasn’t and he couldn’t explain where it came from confused

We couldn’t get out of there fast enough grin

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:32:01

littlefuckers
This is massively outing but fuck it.

Interestingly, there are no photos of the upstairs at all online. I never felt anything downstairs, but upstairs was terrible. Such a feeling of foreboding and menace. I've never felt anything like it before or since.

www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html/svr/1701;jsessionid=C45EB31F00B4BA2E76C4D35CE7F218ED?prop=12723680&sale=26367837&country=england#

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 04-Nov-17 21:33:59

That link isn't working for me roc

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:35:50

littlefuckers
If you're interested the people who bought it after us lived in it for a month or so, went away on business, and never came back. This sounds unbelievable but I swear it's true, they were fairly friendly with my family and told them. They meant to rent it out but claimed they 'never got round to it'

Spellcheck Sat 04-Nov-17 21:37:13

Roconnell, your first post made me cry. X

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:37:39

Oh dear Queen
I'll try again
www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html/svr/1701;jsessionid=C45EB31F00B4BA2E76C4D35CE7F218ED?prop=12723680&sale=26367837&country=england#

If not, just go on Right Move and search 39 Manor House Road Glastonbury

RippleEffects Sat 04-Nov-17 21:39:00

I lived in a very old cottage 15th century. It was part of a little block of cottages. One of the neighbouring cottages was slightly bigger, very well presented but somehow felt dark.

An old man who I became friendly with (he was just past his century and lived in the cottages all his life) told me bad/ sad things happened in the neighbouring cottage. He was very factual. Several suicides, an unexplained death, violence.

In the four years I lived there two families lived in the other house. Both lovely and both had life changing events whilst there.

There are many things in this world that can't be explained.

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 04-Nov-17 21:42:28

Thanks I found it through searching. It is strange there's no photos of the upstairs isn't it. I wonder why

Plentyoffishnets Sat 04-Nov-17 21:44:13

It's interesting cos have read a few similar threads on here about unsettling places and Glastonbury always seems to get mentioned....

witchofzog Sat 04-Nov-17 21:45:10

I can see it roconnell. The old man in your previous house made me feel so sad. He had spent his whole life there pretty much. His wife's memory was still there. How dare people be so rude and disrespectful while he was still sat there. They should be thoroughly ashamed angry

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:45:20

Queen
Because it's bad, it just feels bad, the whole upstairs and attic. What did you think of the downstairs? Don't suppose you get much of a vibe from photos

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 21:46:33

witchofzog spellcheck
So so sad. It was just awful. Sorry I made you cry Spell brew

SymphonyofShadows Sat 04-Nov-17 21:54:53

I'm not at all woo but there is a house over the road from me that people never stay in long. Over the years it's had a (non-fatal) stabbing and been a cannabis farm, but both of those were since its been rented after a long procession of owner-occupiers that have moved on after a year or so.

DP reckons it's because it's been over developed and is now too large for its outside space/parking but I don't know why really.

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 04-Nov-17 21:59:26

It does feel a bit off but then you've told me the background so maybe that's why I think it. It doesn't seem loved if you know what I mean? Even in the photos it looks like a house not a home

tryandtryagain Sat 04-Nov-17 22:08:59

I looked at the Glastonbury house on right move and it appears that the downstairs is being rented out as a flat. No mention of upstairs at all. If it's the right property that is. Why would you rent a ground floor to a house out? Very odd.

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 22:12:14

*tryandtryagain shock
OMG I didn't know that!!! I live a loooong way from there now. That says it all really about what the upstairs of that house is like

mygorgeousmilo Sat 04-Nov-17 22:28:14

Thanks for the terror ro eeeekk!!!
That house does look creepy, or maybe its vibe is evil because of what you’ve said.

liz70 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:28:58

Not me, but I before I turned 10 I used to live in a red brick TO20C red brick terrace, so 1970 to 80.My mum was friends with a couple who lived across the road from us, and my DB and I played with their DDs who were similar in age.

My parents and they would take turns to babysit us kids while one couple went for an evening out e.g. my mum would mind their DDs while they went out and Dad stayed with DB and me, and vice versa. Or sometimes my nan, who lived locally, would mind the girls across the road.

Anyway, my mum said years later that their house always gave her the chills. She said it felt as if nobody had ever lived there, ever. She mentioned it to my Nan (her mum), and she had had exactly the same feeling. Some houses certainly do retain an atmosphere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now