Advanced search

To kick him out?

(9 Posts)
Goldandsilverandblack Sat 04-Nov-17 19:25:40

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, I’m just lost as to what to do. I’m a long time lurker and thought the wisdom of Mumsnetters might be able to help!

So my aunts has a big house and air Bnb’s Out rooms. She is such a softies and a friend of a friend was homeless and asked if they could stay for a few months. She said ok and moved let him stay in her bedroom temporarily until another room came free. this is when it all went downhill. A couple staying through air Bnb left because of him saying they were frightened and that he was messy and quite inappropriate. Aunt has tried to ask him to leave but he is refusing to do so. There is no contract or lease and she lives in the house at the same time. She gave him one weeks notice to leave last week on Saturday and has refused to accept money from him as rent as she thought this would count as a contract. He is now threatening her saying that he has rights as a tenant and has spoken to a lawyer and she will be fined.

I have down some research and as she lives in the home as well he doesn’t have full rights. My advise was to tomorrow pack his bags and change the locks and leave his bags outside as he has been given reasonable notice and that he needs much more time to move but is refusing to take time off work to find somewhere else to live.

My aunt is too frightened to stay in her own house and is worried about the thought of fines and getting in trouble. She can’t rent out the other rooms by air Bnb as he is such a messy person and she’s worried about the safety of any new guests around him .

We are on the way to the police station and she will get legal advice on Monday but we really want him out tomorrow as that’s what was agreed.

Does anybody have any kind of advice or been in a similar situation?

In my eyes, this is a guy who has stayed in her house rent free for one month with no sort of tenancy agreement and who is disrespectful of her home and forcing her out!

Any advice?! Can I pack his bags and leave them outside? I hate seeing her like this :-(

Tapandgo Sat 04-Nov-17 19:28:32

Must be a police job surely?

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Sat 04-Nov-17 19:32:17

Its not a police job. Although they will advise it is civil. They can attend when she removes him from her property to prevent a breach of the peace but other than that they can do nothing. Unless he is reported for a criminal act.

ijustwannadance Sat 04-Nov-17 19:33:19

He isn't a tenant. Change all locks when he goes out and leave his stuff outside.
Cheeky fucker.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Sat 04-Nov-17 19:33:31

Meant to say they can advise, BUT it is a civil matter

Anecdoche Sat 04-Nov-17 19:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Sat 04-Nov-17 19:34:23

Personally id do what ijustwanna says.

ConciseandNice Sat 04-Nov-17 19:48:57

It's good that you're going to the police in that they can make a note of you having consulted with them. He has no contract or right of abode in your aunt's home. I am not sure of what the current law is in terms of squatting etc so I won't quote law, but I would suggest just moving his stuff out and changing the locks. It would be good to have a few 'heavies' present as well when doing it in case there's trouble.

MumW Sat 04-Nov-17 19:56:50

Belongings outside, change locks and be prepared to call the police if things turn even the slightest bit nasty.

Can you be there, or even better, do you have a nice well-built relative/friend that could be there to support her?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: