Talk

Advanced search

To NOT make an emergency GP appointment?

(27 Posts)
TammyswansonTwo Sat 04-Nov-17 18:35:34

I have quite a lot of moles, always have, although when I was pregnant I seemed to get more skin tags and small moles on the sides of the breast/ down my torso. There's a bigger one on the side of one breast and I got my GP to look at it a year ago and they said it was fine.

I've just looked closely at it now and some of the things about it concern me - it's asymmetrical, the border is ragged, there are different colours in it (one side is almost black and raised / scaly, the other side a lighter brown).

I showed my DH who is now panicking and says I need to get it looked at on Monday. It does meet some of the dodgy mole criteria but I looked up photos for each criteria and it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as those.

On the one hand I know it's a serious thing and I'm a mother, can't be too cautious, but I feel a bit of a prat asking for an emergency appointment when they'll probably just look at it and say it's nothing.

I should just make a routine appointment for a few weeks right? Or not?

Appuskidu Sat 04-Nov-17 18:39:39

Ring Monday and ask for an appointment.

Are the only choices 'emergency' or 'routine in a couple of weeks'

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Sat 04-Nov-17 18:39:48

NO ! Get it looked at. They might need to refer you to the hospital for a proper check which is what happened to me.

The sooner the better.

lljkk Sat 04-Nov-17 18:44:39

You could just ask the receptionist what they advise when you say it's changed from when GP last saw it. I'd probably go for a routine appt but then again, I wouldn't ask MN for advice on that, I could live with my own decision.

Anon8604 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:06:27

I think if you’re worried about it then a GP would probably be understanding of you asking for an emergency appointment rather than having several weeks of anxiety about it. And, if it does need looking at further then you’ll have less time to wait if you see the GP sooner rather than later.

DingleBerries Sat 04-Nov-17 19:08:03

Let’s be honest. We are talking about potential cancer here.

So YABU.

TammyswansonTwo Sat 04-Nov-17 19:10:22

Thanks everyone - I was just curious what other people do in these situations as I tend to worry about being a bother. I don't think I've ever had an emergency appointment before (have done for my babies, but not myself), which isn't always wise since I once ended up in an ambulance with severe pancreatitis after waiting a week for an appointment so I don't trust my judgement!

The thing is, I don't think it looks that bad really, but it does meet several of the criteria, hence the dilemma.

I'll ask the receptionist - I have a rare practice where they're actually helpful!

Anon8604 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:12:30

I think what you say about having previously needed an ambulance after not seeking treatment earlier makes it even more likely you should be seen as soon as possible as you evidently don’t “make a fuss” unnecessarily. Hope you get an appointment soon and it all turns out to be fine.

DingleBerries Sat 04-Nov-17 19:16:14

Don’t ask the (useless in your case) receptionist.

Make an emergency appointment.
As you said, your judgement isn’t too hot when it comes to personal illness and wellbeing.
So listen to us instead. Make that appointment.

If - God forbid - it was cancer, then would you look back on this time and be grateful that you waited two weeks for a ‘regular’ appointment?

Better safe than sorry OP.

Maudlinmaud Sat 04-Nov-17 19:21:10

I had one checked and the gp said nothing to worry about, thing is it did worry me. It got bigger, had the edges you describe and was raised. Then it flaked off, completely fell off my back. Went back to gp when this happened and again was told not to be concerned. I've just noticed that it's back again. Just letting you know it's not all doom and gloom but you are better getting these things checked.

bettyboo40 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:28:05

Please make the appointment, if only for peace of mind. I made an emergency GP appointment about a mole on my ankle. I had been told not to worry about it before, but something was still bothering me. The GP did take me seriously this time and sent photos of it to the dermatologist at our local hospital, who requested to see me. Turns out it was malignant melanoma, but thankfully early stage, so after 2 small operations the cancer was gone.

Helbelle75 Sat 04-Nov-17 19:38:34

I noticed a mole under my breast had done this. My dd was about 6 weeks old and i was beside myself. I did go to the gp the next day, there was no question about being seen. It turned out to be a type of wart ( i forget the name) and nothing to worry about.
Definitely get it checked out asap, but try not to worry until the gp's had a look.

Topseyt Sat 04-Nov-17 19:39:49

My DH has recently had just such a growth removed from the side of his nose. We are still awaiting the results of the biopsy to find out exactly what it was.

Make that appointment. Don't wait.

tissuesosoft Sat 04-Nov-17 19:42:55

Definitely have it seen. I'm doing the same on Monday, I have over a hundred on my back. DP takes a picture for me every couple of months and a few have changed a lot.

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Sat 04-Nov-17 19:43:59

When I had my referral I was told that although there were obvious changes there wasn't anything to worry about btw.

I should have mentioned that.

Moanyoldcow Sat 04-Nov-17 19:46:05

Does your doctor do telephone triage? Ours you can call and ask to go on triage list when the doc calls. A few times I've not been sure and the doc has said 'not an emergency' or 'come in today' and it's really helpful.

BarbarianMum Sat 04-Nov-17 19:53:16

I was in this situation this summer OP. I made a routine appointment - the mole had been their years (but recently changed/started to grow) so I didn't see why it couldn't wait another 10 days.

BarbarianMum Sat 04-Nov-17 19:53:38

there blush

ElephantsandTigers Sat 04-Nov-17 19:56:31

Download the skin vision app and take a photo. It then tells you the level of risk. I'm currently watching one of DS's as well as one of mine though not meant to be for under 18s.

olympicsrock Sat 04-Nov-17 19:58:15

It’s not an emergency but it should be seen in the next 2 weeks.

JustDanceAddict Sat 04-Nov-17 19:59:40

GPS are always happy to look at moles

AppleTrayBake Sat 04-Nov-17 20:01:33

But an 'emergency appointment' just means 'on the day' if it was a real emergency then that would be a&e.

I've never hummed and harred over making an emergency GP app. The only times I've booked a 'normal' appointment is for a contraception review.

If you need to be seen, then make an appointment. Why give a potential cancer another 2 weeks to grow?

lennonj Sat 04-Nov-17 20:03:09

I'm not saying it is the same as I have but if you look at 'senile warts' (there is a proper name for them) you may find it could be these. I got lots over the last few years especially on or near breasts and abdomen. They look very much like moles. I had one on my shoulder which I'd seen the GP about as I thought it was a mole that was growing, the GP measured it to check but after a year it turned darker then fell off! The GP never mentioned it could've been one of these warts but it obviously was.

SummerKelly Sat 04-Nov-17 20:04:52

I had an on the day appointment for the same thing but mine turned out to be a wart which he froze off then!

TammyswansonTwo Sat 04-Nov-17 20:06:37

Thanks everyone - I think it is that "emergency" tag that bothers me, I don't think it's an "emergency" in terms of A&E etc obviously! I do agree it's probably best to get it checked sooner rather than later though. I tried to take a picture but too blurry - will get my DH to take one in the morning and will call them first thing on Monday. I see my gp fairly regularly due to chronic illness, probably once every few months, so I always worry about being a pain about other things but you're right of course, it's not something to mess around with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now