Talk

Advanced search

Is it acceptable to use the penny jar at self service?

(70 Posts)
WomanEmpire Sat 04-Nov-17 15:24:38

Really trying to save money at the moment, we're not doing great financially.
I'm off to Morrisons and told DP I was taking the penny jar and will use it at self service. He says I can't do that, it's too embarrassing and takes too long.
I think I can! After all, what are you supposed to use all your coppers for? The penny machines take a percentage and there isn't that many coin in there....
Aibu?

Floofd Sat 04-Nov-17 15:28:38

I would, but be aware that if you use too many and it's capacity for coppers is full, it will just start spitting them back out so you'll either have to ask someone in the shop to sort it out for you, or pay with something else anyway.

Its happened to me when I went in with a handful of change from the dookit in the car before. I wasnt skint, just forgot to lift my purse.

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 04-Nov-17 15:29:43

I do this all the time. My kids get to embarrassed but why not?

Breezy1985 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:31:11

I do it all the time too, never had a problem smile

Bluelonerose Sat 04-Nov-17 15:33:50

I do but it's my protest of them not giving me proper change.

FrizzyNoodles Sat 04-Nov-17 15:34:20

I do it but when I know it won't be too busy and I just put a load in and use my card for the rest if I need to.

Elledouble Sat 04-Nov-17 15:35:03

I do if there’s not a queue behind me! Just the general coppers in my purse though, not a whole penny jar.

SurfaceThroughTheWaves Sat 04-Nov-17 15:35:15

Money is money. I do it.

Healthywealthyandwise Sat 04-Nov-17 15:36:09

I've had them spat out too when I've tried to use too many.

Floralnomad Sat 04-Nov-17 15:37:00

If you Bank at NatWest or know someone who does , most of their larger branches have coin deposit machines and they obviously don’t take a % like the supermarket ones . You can either deposit the money in your account or take the receipt but to the till and they give you the cash .

ownedbySWD Sat 04-Nov-17 15:38:25

It all spends.

Twickerhun Sat 04-Nov-17 15:39:41

We do this all the time.

Battleax Sat 04-Nov-17 15:40:44

Use a coinstar and get a voucher. Much easier.

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 04-Nov-17 15:41:51

I use the self service till to avoid the need for a copper jar. Just stick it all in when it starts to build up in your purse and put the rest on your card. Copper jars seem to be a lot of faff.

Popkids Sat 04-Nov-17 15:42:32

I thought everyone did this. That's why you always get loads of coppers in your change.

Elphame Sat 04-Nov-17 15:45:59

I do it too but only at quiet times!

GerdaLovesLili Sat 04-Nov-17 15:47:04

Actually, the Morrisons SS machines are the best for this... if you cancel the transaction after putting a load of shrapnel in, it returns your money as large denomination coins rather than your original coppers. Thus avoiding the Coinstar fees. (I did this by accident rather than design when I didn't have quite enough money to complete my purchase because it rejected some dodgy coins.) I would only ever do this when it was quiet though! Never on a busy Friday afternoon.

Freshprincess Sat 04-Nov-17 15:47:54

I do it too. the assistant told me loads of people do it.

CannotEvenThink Sat 04-Nov-17 15:48:08

My bank has a big machine you can dump coins into and get the amount deposited to your account.

stiffstink Sat 04-Nov-17 15:52:37

Some larger HSBC branches have coin machines.

I get rid of my shrapnel in the self service machines and use the HSBC machine for any larger amounts.

pisacake Sat 04-Nov-17 15:53:46

"Use a coinstar and get a voucher. Much easier."

Don't they charge a fee? Or is it free if you get a voucher?

Creambun2 Sat 04-Nov-17 15:55:15

Don't use coinstar they take commission.

MsHarry Sat 04-Nov-17 16:00:46

It's fine but i would pick a quiet time!

kierenthecommunity Sat 04-Nov-17 16:00:52

Apparently the legal tender amount in copper is only 20p!

HamSandWitches Sat 04-Nov-17 16:01:04

I put mine in the coinster machine then spend the voucher. I couldn't be arsed to stand and put all the pennies in the self service till

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now