Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed with this neighbour

(46 Posts)
diyhater Sat 04-Nov-17 12:58:41

They have been doing DIY from 8am-8pm every day for the last two weeks without a break, I've no idea what they are doing but it's involved hammering on the adjoining wall, hammer drills taking up their patio (and so lots of dust). They've had a large van on the drive for the two weeks which is blocking light from our lounge window so we need the lights on whenever we are in. We came home the other day to find their skip on our drive without so much as a polite request. I'm now furious and am after (light hearted!) revenge...any ideas?!

justilou1 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:59:32

Ring the skip company and have it removed?

cakeymccakington Sat 04-Nov-17 13:00:00

I mean... maybe you could talk to them?

Anecdoche Sat 04-Nov-17 13:00:48

i would just phone the skip company and insist it is moved from the drive.

seventeenlittleducks Sat 04-Nov-17 13:03:00

Rig the company 'excuse me can I ask why there's a skip on my drive?! I'd like it removed as soon as possible please' the diy is annoying but that wouldn't annoy me as much as a skip on my drive

LooksLikeImStuckHere Sat 04-Nov-17 13:04:05

Fill the skip!

diyhater Sat 04-Nov-17 13:05:03

I mean... maybe you could talk to them?

Nah, that's boring!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 04-Nov-17 13:06:41

Definitely get the skip moved!

Appuskidu Sat 04-Nov-17 13:07:56

WTF!

Do they have their own drive?

diyhater Sat 04-Nov-17 13:08:48

Yes, they have their own drive, a large 4 car one.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sat 04-Nov-17 13:11:44

Park on their drive too

Fishface77 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:13:17

What have you done to address these issues?
Have you told them to move the skip?
Told them to stop the noise?

Appuskidu Sat 04-Nov-17 13:15:07

Nah, that's boring

hmm

sayyouwill Sat 04-Nov-17 13:19:13

Park on their drive. Really badly. Right in the middle.
Get out a deckchair and get settled in their garden with a good book. When they ask what the hell you’re doing just say you thought this was the unspoken agreement you had reached since they’re using your drive as a skip Home

diyhater Sat 04-Nov-17 13:23:48

Haha, like it Say

WIBU to set up large outdoor cinema screen as well?

MrsExpo Sat 04-Nov-17 13:27:34

Maybe the skip company made an error, but maybe they're just the ultimate cf's and need reminding about good neighbourly relations. I'd start by telling them that the skip is being removed within 24 hours at their cost. Also, if they've been hammering at the adjoining wall between the two properties, do they need a party wall agreement for the work?

As for revenge .... loud music from 8.00pm til midnight? Park on their drive? Wait til they've finished their work and then start a project of your own which inflicts a similar amount of grief on them .....

Or ... you could just pop round and explain that their work is causing you a lot of grief and could you have a day off at weekends please for the sake of good neighbourly relations .....

Kelsoooo Sat 04-Nov-17 13:38:47

I'd get the skip removed, your drive may not actually be strong enough to withstand the skip when it's filled.

I know my neighbours had to repair our drive after a similar incident, as the paving slabs cracked.

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:45:40

The skip needs to go. You're not allowed to just put a skip on someone else's land...! If they need to park it in the road, they have to pay for the road permit and do that, or put it on their own drive. Cheeky fuckers. I'd be straight round. I'd also be 'friendly nosy' and ask what DIY they're having done, so you can get an idea of when they'll stop. Ring the number on the side of the skip!

InsomniacAnonymous Sat 04-Nov-17 13:48:20

Why won't you talk to your neighbours? Apart from it being 'boring' hmm

glenthebattleostrich Sat 04-Nov-17 13:50:43

Wind chimes.

Or get a cat and train it to wee on their doorstep.

SallyAnneMarie Sat 04-Nov-17 13:54:27

The skips been there for a few days? And instead of just asking your neighbour you are on MN?

confused

Just go and speak to your neighbour.

Witchend Sat 04-Nov-17 13:54:35

Our neighbours paid us to have the skip on our drive. £100 per week, which apparently was cheaper than the council-and more convenient for all of us than being on the road. You might like to invoice them.

metalmum15 Sat 04-Nov-17 14:03:16

If I came home to find some neighbours skip on my drive it would be moved within the hour. Maybe your neighbours think you're a bit of a pushover?

WineAndTiramisu Sat 04-Nov-17 14:05:35

I'd have a good clear out and fill the skip!

Appuskidu Sat 04-Nov-17 14:07:22

We came home the other day to find their skip on our drive

It's been there a few days and you haven't actually bothered to even speak to them about it yet? You can't be that bothered then. Enjoy your weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now