Talk

Advanced search

To put DC clothes from the dirty wash back in their rooms?

(24 Posts)
MerryMarigold Sat 04-Nov-17 12:36:49

I feel like IABU, because the clothes have been snuggling up to dirty pants and socks. But, when sorting through the wash I keep coming across clothes that are basically clean. Yes, pants and socks get washed everyday, but nothing else in our house does unless it has food or mud on it/ been into the city/ done sports in it. A school shirt/ trousers/ cardigan can last 3 full days, so can other clothes. Jumpers just get ruined if they go into the wash after being worn for a day.

My DC (9,9,11) all seem to just chuck clothes in the wash when I tell them to clear up their rooms, rather than actually fold them and put them away. Much easier to chuck it in the wash. Trousers worn once, jumpers worn once, leggings put on and then removed because they 'didn't go''. They are 9,9 and 11

WWYD and IABU?

BrutusMcDogface Sat 04-Nov-17 12:43:46

Yanbu and I'd do the same! as long as they didn't smell like said dirty pants and socks

Then make sure they know to keep clothes in their rooms that aren't dirty!

KathArtic Sat 04-Nov-17 12:46:15

Absolutely! My teens will put clothes in the basket they have only worn for 10 minutes. I also recall DH coming home from a business trip, opening his case and emptying it all straight into the basket. He hadn't worn half the clothes. It was easier (for him) for dump it all - and for me to sort, wash dry and put away. Things changed from that moment.

I quick whiff under the armpits is all that's needed.

formerbabe Sat 04-Nov-17 12:55:05

Clothes that have just been tried on should be folded up but not sure about uniform.

Also, can the nine year olds even work out what can be worn again and what needs washing? I usually tell my 9 year old before they get changed "that jumper is fine so leave it out and everything else in the basket".

bastardkitty Sat 04-Nov-17 12:56:51

I found a full pile of clean washing in the wash basket twice because 'it was easier than putting it away'. angry

MerryMarigold Sat 04-Nov-17 13:06:16

Glad I'm not alone.

Yes, the 9yos know the rules. If it is visibly dirty it goes in the wash. If it is socks or pants it goes in the wash. Anything else is ok. They don't have B.O yet, although in the summer T shirts can go in after a whole day's wear. Shorts need to be worn for more than a day.

SandyDenny Sat 04-Nov-17 13:09:01

Are you asking us to decide if clothes in your house are dirty enough to need washing?

ofudginghell Sat 04-Nov-17 13:09:14

Yes it’s acceptable and yes I do it all the time gringringrin
Ds 19 has a wash basket in his room so on a Friday when I get in from work o tell him I want absolutely all of his dirty washing scattered all over his room in said basket and downstairs for me to do.
Most weeks to start with I would find a pile of clothes in there I knew hadn’t been worn since the last lot so would take it out and put it with the rest when it was laundered.
He also on occasion would leave dirty clothes out so that would be it for five days till he put it in the next lot.
He learnt eventually.
My dd12 puts her laundry in the wash basket in my room so I quite often fish out clean clothes or clothes she’s worn for 2 hours fold it and give it back to her to put away.
With five people and three of them working full time plus two dogs and a hectic social schedule for the dc I don’t have time or the inclination to re wash clean clothes hmm
I also make them strip their own beds on weekends and give them clean bedding to remake.
My dd7 is a dab hand at putting pillow cases on for me grin

MerryMarigold Sat 04-Nov-17 13:15:29

Sandy, no. I'm asking if it's ok to put what I consider clean(ish) back in their rooms to be put away. Also, how you overcome this issue with dc and get them to only put dirty stuff on the washing in the first place.

Redcrayons Sat 04-Nov-17 13:20:25

Mine Put their own clothes away so I throw anything not dirty back into their clean laundry basket for them to deal with.

SandyDenny Sat 04-Nov-17 13:23:48

If it's acceptable to you then it's acceptable, there aren't any rules.

If you're OK with it but Internet randomers aren't would you change what you do - genuine question, I don't see why you would make work for yourself just because other people wouldn't.

Personally I'd leave the clothes that don't need washing in the bedroom until the do but I don't care what anyone thinks about my laundry processes, in fact I barely care about it myself smile

Pengggwn Sat 04-Nov-17 13:26:50

I wash anything I have worn for the day. I wash cardigans etc every couple of wears. Trousers worn once would definitely go into the 'wash' pile for me.

MuddlingMackem Sat 04-Nov-17 13:34:08

YANBU at all. It's pointless washing clothes which aren't yet dirtied out.

When told by me to sort out stuff for the washing, my 11 year old has frequently refused to put items in the laundry bin because 'I've only worn it twice!' so I think I've got her trained. The 13 year old is a work in progress, but he's being assessed for ASD so I do cut him some slack. smile

deepestdarkestperu Sat 04-Nov-17 15:21:46

I definitely think school shirts need to be washed after one wear, as does everything else worn next to armpits and groins! So shirts, t-shirts and underwear all needs to be washed after it’s been worn for 8+ hours.

MerryMarigold Sat 04-Nov-17 15:35:19

Don't really have an issue with school clothes. It's more stuff they've worn a couple of times after school or half a day at the weekend to watch tv in.

Prictoriafeckam Sat 04-Nov-17 15:47:11

YANBU; I keep finding jumpers for washing that I washed a couple of days before; it's completely unnecessary. My challenge is to get Ds to straighten out rolled-up socks and tights before they go into the washing basket.

Ledkr Sat 04-Nov-17 15:49:41

I always do that yes.
Dd will just sweep everything off her floor and chuck it in the wash.
I re fold it and put it back!
Cheeky sod!

Neverender Sat 04-Nov-17 15:52:57

Maybe get them to choose a lounging outfit and every day they put that on for a couple of hrs after school? Wash it at the weekend? Just an idea.

KinkyAfro Sat 04-Nov-17 16:35:31

Well bully for you sandydenny, why not just move along if a thread doesn't interest you instead of posting dickish responses

Dutch1e Sat 04-Nov-17 16:56:06

ofudginghell If my 19-yr-old was expecting me to do their laundry I'd be more likely to chuck it in the bin than in the machine grin

OP YANBU, no need to re-wash clean clothes.

CakesRUs Sat 04-Nov-17 16:58:07

Yeah I have a teen who dumps totally clean clothes into the wash, rather than put it back in the wardrobe. We’ve butted heads about this recently.

MerryMarigold Sun 05-Nov-17 08:05:13

Neverender, that's a good idea. Thanks

FineAsWeAre Sun 05-Nov-17 09:35:38

My 7 year old is capable of sorting his clothes so I'd say YANBU. He knows he wears uniform for 3 days unless it's dirty, underwear goes in the basket every day and sports kits after every wear. He's also able to hang up or fold clothes and put them away so I would expect 9 and 11 year olds to do the same.

PippleBang Sun 05-Nov-17 09:36:23

I do the same. DS(7) puts everything in the washing basket at the end of the day, I put jeans back in his room most the time and t-shirts and jumpers if they're not dirty. Can't be doing with washing them after every wear until he starts getting sweaty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now