Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask you where we should go for our honeymoon?

(81 Posts)
roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 11:48:18

Soon-to-be DH and I are getting married in September 2018. Current honeymoon ideas are;

Iceland (hot springs!)
Rome, Rhodes and Amalfi
Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius
Maldives (might be too expensive!)

We love culture, history, and sight seeing, want to relax a bit, but worried about getting bored somewhere isolated and beautiful.

Where did you go on your honeymoon? Help us with some more ideas please smile

Budget fairly flexible, around £2,500

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Nov-17 11:50:06

We went to New York. Loved it!

AyeAyeFishyPie Sat 04-Nov-17 11:52:09

Maldives don't fit with your itinerary or budget I don't think. We loved New York!!

Rebeccaslicker Sat 04-Nov-17 11:52:20

I think Italy is a brilliant idea as you won't be blowing a lot of your budget on flights as you would if you went further afield. Nice weather in September too. You can also mix lots of culture with chilling on a beach - and amazing food. You could also go greek island hopping maybe? Again, lots of culture and sunbathing and tasty food/wine.

(Not that DP and I are getting married any time soon, and if we were the honeymoon would be in Bognor Regis given that we're having another baby and moving house, but my "money is no object fantasy" honeymoon would be Japan and then on to Hawaii smile)

DorisDangleberry Sat 04-Nov-17 11:52:32

Great Yarmouth is lovely at that time of year

GMtoBe Sat 04-Nov-17 11:53:08

We went to America for three weeks. Started in New York, then went to Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Seattle and then finished in Las Vegas. It was the trip of a lifetime and we loved every second! San Antonio was by far the most romantic place we stayed in, our hotel was right on the riverwalk. Although we visited the Olympic National Park whilst staying in Seattle and that was magical.

We almost went with Iceland, it's somewhere I've always wanted to go!

User452734838 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:54:50

Rome/Amalfi coast should be doable although a standard package holiday can cost your budget

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 11:57:52

AyeAyeFishyPie I know I thought that! It's been suggested so many times and it's such a honeymoon cliche so we thought we'd stick it on the list. It's pretty low down the preference list tbh.

Rebeccaslicker oooh sounds fab when you say it like that!

PotteringAlong DP has been a few times and isn't in a huge hurry to go back. I'd love to go one day though.

DorisDangleberry grin

Bratsandtwats Sat 04-Nov-17 11:57:58

We went to Venice, but we stopped at Lido de Jesolo and caught the ferry in.
Rome is fab too, loads to do there. Easy to get around.
Naples/Pompeii/ Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are beautiful, but ideally you need your own transport and the car driving there puts the Romans to shame.

JennyHolzersGhost Sat 04-Nov-17 11:58:20

You can do Rome, Amalfi, Pompeii and Vesuvius easily; how long have you got? You could add Rhodes on too if you’ve got a couple of weeks (did you mean Rhodes? It’s quite far from Rome ...)

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 04-Nov-17 12:00:27

Slovenia. Honestly. It’s beautiful, and not yet swamped by tourists.

Loctite Sat 04-Nov-17 12:01:40

We went to America for 3 weeks - New York, then California - San Francisco first then got a car and went north first, then a road trip down the coast highway as far as LA stopping in various places like Manteray etc
Was an amazing trip.

We have also had some very romantic early relationship holidays in Italy
we did several trips - one spent in Milan, Florence and Venice, travelling by train between each city, no pre-booking, just staying as long as we fancied in each place. It was our first holiday together and will forever hold a very special place in our hearts.

Another time we went to Rome for a week and then rented a car and drove all around Tuscany, staying in places like Arrezzo, and Pianza and other tiny mountain villages - again an incredible and romantic trip.

And yet another time we went to Venice for about 5 days and rented a car and went to Lake Garda and Verona (this was my least fav trip - loved Venice and Verona, less keen on Lake Garda and the landscape around there, far prefer Tuscany)

Any of these trips would do it for me as a honeymoon!

Although if I had my time again I might go for Costa Rica or the Orient Express into St Petersburg!

Have fun planning !

Notonthestairs Sat 04-Nov-17 12:02:12

Another vote for (anywhere in) Italy. I loved Capri but it is ridiculously expensive. Ravelling is very romantic.

Notonthestairs Sat 04-Nov-17 12:02:27

That should read Ravello!

roconnell Sat 04-Nov-17 12:05:10

Thank you all. Keep 'em coming!
We're going to Venice for Christmas this year, so that one is out.
Own transport might be a bit of an issue, I would be too scared to drive outside of the UK blush will ask DP, but I think he might feel similar.

Deedee0208 Sat 04-Nov-17 12:07:37

We went to goa India and had a brilliant time, x

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Sat 04-Nov-17 12:14:30

We’re getting married September next year too!

I’m hoping we go to Hawaii! We’re going to Mexico at the end of this month for a sporting event (and two week holiday :p) and if he qualifies for the world championships, we’ll have to go to Hawaii next October anyway so we’ll make that our honeymoon! Fingers crossed! Otherwise we’ll probably just do a cheap villa somewhere or even a walking holiday in the U.K. as finances are going to be a bit tight and we won’t splash out if we don’t NEED to.

Downbutnotyetout Sat 04-Nov-17 12:16:22

Iceland is very very expensive although as a stop off to NY, or the US might work. I don't think you could spend more than 5 nights there.
We went to Croatia - Dubrovnik then island hopping. Was great fun and deliberately went for somewhere in Europe with shorter flights. We've also done and loved Italy - flew to Sicily and then drove to Naples over 2-3 weeks. Loved every minute of it.

GraciesMansion Sat 04-Nov-17 12:20:23

We went to Malta, had a fabulous time.

midgetem Sat 04-Nov-17 12:22:19

We thought the same as you on Maldives. In the end we did 2 weeks travelling Sri Lanka ( we had a driver organise and take us around the country there is so much there to see given the history of the country) before settling for a weeks relaxation afterward in Maldives which was actually amazing. We did a lot of snorkeling in Maldives so didn't get bored. Our budget was about 3.5k but well worth it.

I'm not sure how long you want to go for but for us Iceland was a 5 day trip and it didn't feel like we needed any longer.

MulderitsmeX Sat 04-Nov-17 12:24:52

Yes yes to New York!!! If you havent been before defo go as it's so amazing. Hotels are ££ these days but once you're there I found things not too bad. Cabs are very cheap!

We did a safari which is doable for 2.5k (i think) - such an amazing experience, really recommend that. You can stay in tents or villas/hotels. Autumn is a good time to go in a lot of places as the animals are out and about. I USED trailfinders to book and they were great, sorting transfers etc.

I didn't like Rhodes, would not go there for honeymoon. Other Greek Islands great but there will be the winds in sept. Santorini? V v romantic and loads of history!

Iceland is great but really expensive these days I've heard.

Mauritius or thailand for a cheaper than the maldives option? Both very lovely and relaxing, thailand has loads of cultural stuff and can be done very cheaply. Same for most of SE asia. Mauritius doesn't have zikha so good if you want to TTC. I believe maldives does?

RoryItsSnowing Sat 04-Nov-17 12:26:36

Italy would be great. You could stay in Sorrento and do a day trip to Pompeii, and you're then within day trips of Capri etc or you could move along the Amalfi coast spending a few days in different places.

What about a Canadian road trip? Or the us? You could start in San Francisco, drive the big Sur via Yosemite, Monterey Bay all down to LA, then fly to Vegas and spend a day or so at the Grand Canyon.

Alittlepotofrosie Sat 04-Nov-17 12:27:21

Iceland is the most amazing place i have ever been. Absolutely incredible. You won't get bored.

Flokidoki Sat 04-Nov-17 12:28:58

Rome is one of my favourite places in the world.

Family just went to Pompeii and had the trip of a lifetime. They used buses and trains, day trips with transport (but were left to their own devices) and taxis with no problem plus LOTS of walking. We've been so inspired that we're planning to go now too.

We weren't able to go on a honeymoon but if we had it was going to be one of the Scandic countries. I had visions of a log cabin in the Swedish wilderness twinned with a few days in Stockholm.

Bitchywaitress Sat 04-Nov-17 12:30:16

We also did Sri Lanka (with driver to tour around) followed by the Maldives (for relaxing) and it was incredible. Cost was around £7K + spends.

Maldives is OMG amazing!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: