Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aibu To think we'll never be well again?

(17 Posts)
coffeeneeded Sat 04-Nov-17 11:01:20

I have 19 month old twins. We have basically been ill for the last 12 months, one way or another. Mostly colds, temps and grumpiness with the wonderful gift of chicken pox in the summer (oh- and fall stones for me!). They go to Nursery one day a week (where they probably pick up all their germs) and go to all the usual playgroups as well.

AIBU to ask if we’ll ever be well again? Has anyone got any tips for boosting our immune system? Should I get them multi vitamins (I’m already taking them)?

Ive had laryngitis for 4 weeks now- which is mostly annoying because I can’t work (I’m a singer). I’ve never been this ill in my life! It’s ridiculous.

Advice for survival please?

Marcipex Sat 04-Nov-17 11:09:27

I'm sorry, it's miserable but normal. It usually lasts about a year, so you are due to come out of it about now.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sat 04-Nov-17 11:12:58

Well the good news is they are building up their immunity through getting all these bugs and colds form lots of other kids. It sucks but it will stand them in good stead for later years. I agree that 12 months sounds like it should be over soon. It wouldn’t hurt to get them some vitamin supplements though. Lots of fruit and veg if they will eat it. Get outdoors as much as possible.

coffeeneeded Sat 04-Nov-17 11:14:45

I’m on it with the fruit and veg and we go outdoors as much as we can.... do you have any recommendations for toddler friendly vitamins? Chewy ones??

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sat 04-Nov-17 11:16:36

My two liked the strawberry flavoured chewy ones in the bottle with the orange label. I can’t remember the name of them. I always called them Haribo but that’s not right! grin

Marcipex Sat 04-Nov-17 11:19:48

DGD liked the vitamins like chewy sweets. They won't do any harm anyway. ( she's had the same as your twins, plus asthma and whooping cough. In spite of being vaccinated.)

BelafonteRavenclaw Sat 04-Nov-17 11:19:51

DS1 was the same and DS2 is in the middle of the same snot infested illness that lasts all year long. The good news is that DS1 is almost never ill now (he’s 5) and any bugs he picks up are over very quickly. Hold tight, it will get better.

coffeeneeded Sat 04-Nov-17 11:29:31

Thanks everyone!

Raver84 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:34:44

I had 3 under 5 for a while and I stopped going to toddler groups for a bit as like you we seemed to be I'll loads, same as soft play I don't think these places are very clean and whilst it's ok to get Ill from time to time sometimes I felt we needed to recharge properly. During g these times I'd stick to outdoors a tidies like walks, park, garden etc. It did help loads. Or stay at home. Make sure everytime you come in the house you all wash your hands. This also helped us

horriblehistorieswench Sat 04-Nov-17 11:57:39

When I trained as a nursery nurse I remember reading an article about children who attend nursery from babies being healthier in the long term than other children. Even instances of childhood cancers was lower. It’s too far in the mists of time to link or even remember the source but for what it’s worth I could count the number of days DD who is 16 has taken off School because of illness on my fingers. So short term pain for long term gain.

SeaToSki Sat 04-Nov-17 12:01:15

Make sure you are all getting vitamin d supplements as well as multivitamins (unless your multivits have vit d in them!). It plays a major role in the immune system and its almost impossible to get enough from the sun living in the UK, especially as you have all been ill and probably inside more often.

toomuchtooold Sat 04-Nov-17 12:44:52

I have 5 year old twins and yes I can confirm that it gets better grin One thing I've really noticed is that illnesses that would have resulted in a temperature or D+V 2 years ago are now manifesting as a sniffy nose or a bit of a dicky tummy but not enough to slow them down. So that makes it all a lot easier.

DiddlyDooWop Sat 04-Nov-17 12:51:52

I have 7 year old twins. They have been at school since they were 3 (Europe) but rarely get sick, I'm sure it down to the vit D I give them.
I use Healthy Origins 10,000IU and stick a pin in a capsule and squirt it into their mouths every 10 days.
Vit D builds up in your system so it's fine to do it this way.
I get ours on iHerb as it's cheapest.

Good luck

DiddlyDooWop Sat 04-Nov-17 12:54:59

These are the ones we have www.iherb.com/pr/Healthy-Origins-Vitamin-D3-10-000-IU-360-Softgels/21298

DH reminded me, we also give them B12, Solgar , these www.iherb.com/pr/Solgar-Sublingual-Methylcobalamin-Vitamin-B12-1000-mcg-60-Nuggets/10740

Porpoises Sat 04-Nov-17 12:58:59

Agree with vitamin d, the dr tested me when i was getting ill all the time and turned out i was deficient. I'm not someone who never goes outside - just living in the north and too diligent with suncream!

Make sure the supplememt is a high enough dose, some are tiny.

coffeeneeded Sat 04-Nov-17 13:21:20

vit d is the one thing we have as it’s provided by our borough council....

Plus I think I should own shares in antibac handwipes. 😂

DiddlyDooWop Sat 04-Nov-17 13:45:25

Is it D3? A lot of supplements are D2 and that's not as good. Also check the IU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now