Talk

Advanced search

passport hell

(263 Posts)
tattyrose567 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:13:50

Really really desperate and fusturated I have wanted to get a passport for so long my mum did every single other sibliing but mine grrrr and now i really need one but have literally no one to counter sign!! the doctors no longer do it and I've literally exhausted every option what can I do ?? Guessing I will just never ever be able to get one feel like I'm being denied something and will never be able to go abroad I'm 23 with a nearly 2 year old :////

GreenTulips Sat 04-Nov-17 00:15:36

Ask an old teacher, friend at work with a degree, know my policemen or firemen?

GreenTulips Sat 04-Nov-17 00:17:40

Lost also allows dentist and optitian

Do you have those

Shadow666 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:20:03

I thought relatives couldn’t sign anyway. You must know someone, a neighbor, midwife, keep thinking!

planetclom Sat 04-Nov-17 00:27:09

I thought gps still did it you just have to pay like you always did. They have relaxed the type of people that can do it but registered nurses can do them like they always could. A friend of mine has just got hers done by doing a post of Facebook, she was amazed to discover 10 people including me could do it, she is 33 and both her sons and husband needed theirs doing as well.

Just do a post on Facebook.

MaidOfStars Sat 04-Nov-17 00:27:25

Postmaster. Priest/similar.

Who countersigned your siblings'?

MyDcAreMarvel Sat 04-Nov-17 00:29:54

Shadow I think op means her mum paid for the passports, not signed them.

Orangebird69 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:32:49

A very long and not exhaustive list of possibilities here

MiddleClassProblem Sat 04-Nov-17 00:33:39

No friends or partners of friends if neighbours who have known you at least 2 years who might be on the jobs list?

Guavaf1sh Sat 04-Nov-17 00:34:49

Orange is right. It's actually really easy. Passport heaven

Shadow666 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:35:57

Oh, I misunderstood. So, her mum sorted them and organised someone to sign them?

I think the Facebook post is a great idea! I might try that as will be applying for DD's first passport soon.

The OP is 23 so she can sort this out.

Shiftymake Sat 04-Nov-17 00:40:27

Had to dig around for awhile to get someone suitable to counter sign ohs passport application. Doesn't need to be someone that knows you well, in our case we had a social worker who we know through a child sign it so that worked perfectly for us. He got his passport not long after. Just ask around, you will find someone who can sign for you. I literally asked everyone we knew, before finding the right person.

DimplesToadfoot Sat 04-Nov-17 00:46:23

my daily postman signed mine, I was all out of options, he knocked one day with a parcel and I out of the blue asked him, he agreed ..

abbsisspartacus Sat 04-Nov-17 00:47:13

GPS can't do it anymore? Bugger they see me more often than my dentist

sanddune11 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:51:06

I think it's high time they scrapped the ridiculous counter sign rule where you have to get a professional person. Why not a postman or a factory worker, are they not considered trustworthy.

cazzyg Sat 04-Nov-17 00:55:47

Do you know anyone that works for a bank, civil servant, teacher, accountant, lawyer, nurse etc

Basically anyone with a professional job/qualification or government employee can countersign.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 04-Nov-17 00:56:51

Do you know someone with a small business? Company directors can sign them. We use a mechanic friend who owns a garage.

Cactusjelly00 Sat 04-Nov-17 00:57:41

I got a kitchen manager to sign mine. I rang the passport helpline because I was desperate and they asked me what occupations I knew.
First occupation that came to mind was kitchen manager, lady on the phone said yes that's fine...
I was surprised but ring them please, the list isn't exhaustive and they accept hundreds of occupations smile

GetOutOfMYGarden Sat 04-Nov-17 00:58:07

Do you work? Have you worked there for 2 years? Then your manager can do it.

Alternatively you most likely went to school with someone who can do it. Stick a post on facebook and you'll find one.

Stinkbomb Sat 04-Nov-17 00:58:54

A Licensee can also sign - do you know any pub landlords?

TheHeartOfTeFiti Sat 04-Nov-17 01:08:39

Do you use a child minder they can sign them?

Needadvicetoleave Sat 04-Nov-17 03:01:46

sanddune11 your postie can sign!

Efferlunt Sat 04-Nov-17 04:48:20

Honestly that list of professionals is pretty much a guideline not hard and fast. There’s all sorts of options on there. Health visitor? Nursery worker?

Efferlunt Sat 04-Nov-17 04:51:18

Actually I think gps are specifically excluded unless you know them personally.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 04-Nov-17 05:11:04

They say to call the passport office if you cannot comply with this list and they will help. Stop making yourself into a victim. If it really is that tough and absolutely haven’t known anyone suitable for two years, you can even make contact with a person of a listed profession and get them to sign off your passport two years later.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: