Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 year old and TV in room...

(162 Posts)
Grimbles Fri 03-Nov-17 21:35:51

Short and sweet!

AIBU to allow 5yr old DS to watch TV in his room when he wakes up at sparrows at the weekend?

Leeds2 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:37:39

I can't actually conceive of any circumstance where I would allow a TV in the bedroom at age 5.
Sorry!

Lethaldrizzle Fri 03-Nov-17 21:37:59

I wouldn't put a tv in his room

chipscheeseandgravy Fri 03-Nov-17 21:40:16

I wouldn’t let them have a tv. Can you not leave a box of quiet toys and books for them in their room.

pinkcardi Fri 03-Nov-17 21:41:08

I’ve just started allowing my nearly 4yr old to come downstairs to play if she wakes up early at the weekend. The tv is set to kids channels if she wants to turn it on.

No way I would let her have a TV in her room.

RaeCJ82 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:41:09

I think that’s too young for a kid to have a telly in their room.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Fri 03-Nov-17 21:41:10

My daughter has one she is 5 but it’s only connected to a DVD player no tv channels.We let her watch a dvd in an evening on a fri/sat if she wants.

pinkliquorice Fri 03-Nov-17 21:41:27

My 4 year old DS has a tv in his room, go ahead if you want there is no rule against it!

pinkliquorice Fri 03-Nov-17 21:42:37

Why would there be an age limit on a child watching tv or having a tv in their room?

drspouse Fri 03-Nov-17 21:43:03

My 5yo is allowed to go down and make his own breakfast but only at a set time.
TV is downstairs and watching is only when we switch it on.

Dragongirl10 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:43:19

How can you possibly censure what he watches if it is in his room?

Terrible idea.

drspouse Fri 03-Nov-17 21:43:46

(Before that time he plays in his room).

Crumbs1 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:44:43

No definitely not in their room. In truth, our first was allowed to watch OU maths at 5 am sat at the end of our bed. Sesame Street started at 6am and she still says zee not zed but is otherwise undamaged by her experience. She was precocious mathematically and thatbstayed with her through to A levels but I’m not convinced it was early exposure to calculus.

Baileystruffle Fri 03-Nov-17 21:44:57

I wouldn't have one in his room but would let him go and turn on the one in the living room. As long as it is actually a reasonable time

geekone Fri 03-Nov-17 21:45:37

We don't have TV in bedrooms in our house but since DS has been 6 he has come in and said good morning and then asked to watch TV so he is allowed downstairs. It's only 30 mins at most but he likes the me time and I like the extra sleep.

RainyApril Fri 03-Nov-17 21:46:21

Dd had one in her room from that age. Like pp, it was only connected for dvds and couldn't play any TV channels. The only time it went on was when she woke at 5-6 on a weekend morning, or sometimes I'd snuggle up and watch a DVD with her on a rainy afternoon. It did not lead to constant isolated tv watching, and she managed to achieve two degrees and is now in a professional job. The TV is not, in itself, a problem as long as you set clear boundaries.

ChevalierTialys Fri 03-Nov-17 21:47:09

DSD has had a tv in her bedroom at her mums since she was 3. She already knew, at that age, how to change the dvd when a film finished if she wasn't asleep yet. She's always hated going to bed here as its "boring" but we point blank refuse to put a telly in her room. There is NO need.

We have had to give in to some extent and allow her to listen to the radio or an audio book quietly because she really cannot sleep without background noise. Please don't do this to your child.

Unihorn Fri 03-Nov-17 21:47:36

Dragongirl10 what do you think he'd be watching at (presumably) 5-6am?!

Our 7yo has one now but for DVDs only.

cheminotte Fri 03-Nov-17 21:48:48

What time are you talking about? TV in room is linked to obesity, poor sleep etc. Better to have a gro clock and consequences if he disturbs you before the sun comes up.

somewhereovertherain Fri 03-Nov-17 21:50:43

Yabvu no way would I let a 5 y/o have a tv in their room

peanut2017 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:50:48

No way would I let a 5 year old have a tv in their room

NapQueen Fri 03-Nov-17 21:51:25

No tvs in bedrooms in our house.

Palegreenstars Fri 03-Nov-17 21:51:38

No TVs in any bedroom in our house. Just wouldn't think of it.

Forts to snuggle up in the living room are fine though.

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Nov-17 21:52:36

No TV in bedroom.

Grimbles Fri 03-Nov-17 21:52:54

Dragon girl - I'm not sure what would need censuring at 6am but he won't be able to change channels as there is no remote.

I'm not keen on TV in bedrooms but I can't argue why watching in one room is any different to going downstairs to watch if we restrict when it goes on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now