Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think you shouldn't give a toddler a sparkler?

(124 Posts)
KitKat1985 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:03:54

Just that really. Quite a few pics on my facebook feed of people with their 2 / 3 year olds holding lit sparklers. It gives me 'the fear' just looking at it and I just can't imagine ever giving my 3 year old a sparkler at her age. I've seen enough pictures of sparkler burns to know how dangerous they are, and I just don't think children that small understand how dangerous they are. I'm sure the parents are supervising and everything, but it only takes a second for a toddler to grab the 'lit' end or to pick up a used sparkler off the ground and not realise it's only just gone out and it's still burning hot. AIBU and a killjoy?

PinkHeart5914 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:06:55

I will be giving my eldest who is 2 one of Sunday, he will wear gloves, I will hold his hand and a bucket of water will be there.

I had them from a young age as did my siblings, so to me there is nothing wrong with it

60percentofthetime Fri 03-Nov-17 19:09:31

If I'm holding my toddler's hand then it's fine, but I wouldn't let him hold a sparkler by himself, even for a second. He'd poke himself in the eye with it, or try and feed it to someone.

OlennasWimple Fri 03-Nov-17 19:10:42

With close supervision they are fine (and one of those joys of childhood that it would be sad to lose)

SomeBananasAreStillGreen Fri 03-Nov-17 19:12:25

I did this, but held the toddler's hand and put the sparkler straight into water when it went out. I wouldn't trust a toddler to hold a sparkler unless I was holding it too.

Sirzy Fri 03-Nov-17 19:13:05

I’m with you. I don’t even think the holding with them is a good idea when it comes to pre school children.

catsofa Fri 03-Nov-17 19:13:42

TWO years old? Jesus, NO. Just no!

Gretia Fri 03-Nov-17 19:14:38

With close supervision I think they're fine. They need to experience things to learn and sparklers are fun!

Dobbyandme Fri 03-Nov-17 19:14:57

DD is 2 and a bit. She will have one. She will be wearing gloves, I will be holding one of my hands over her wielding hand, and my other hand will keep her spare arm by her side.

We will also have a bucket of water like PP for used ones, and if I tell her something is hot she doesn't touch. She's scared of fog in case it's steam.

But they are very dangerous and anything except extremely vigilant supervision isn't good enough, so I won't be stepping back to take a happy snap.

SandyDenny Fri 03-Nov-17 19:16:36

I think it's OK as others have said with close supervision and gloves etc

MsHarry Fri 03-Nov-17 19:18:06

I gave them to mine wearing gloves with my hand over theirs, moving their hand to show what to do.

LittleBirdBlues Fri 03-Nov-17 19:18:08

DD just turned 2 and I wouldn't trust her to hold one properly yet. DS is 3 and I have no issue with him holding one at all, he's quite a reasonable little boy who is quite good at staying safe when I explain things.

Obviously, I'll be right next to him at lał times.

Fruitcorner123 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:18:53

I agree with you OP it's not ok its risky

KalaLaka Fri 03-Nov-17 19:19:58

Totally agree. Not worth the risk... get a glow stick!

ImSoExhausted Fri 03-Nov-17 19:20:00

@PinkHeart5914 please don't make him wear gloves! Unless they're the fireproof type! He's better with an open hand getting a few specks of heat, than a speck of heat causing a whole glove to go up in flames!

Alittlepotofrosie Fri 03-Nov-17 19:20:28

Its fine if you're supervising them properly.

ShatnersWig Fri 03-Nov-17 19:21:04

TWO? God no. I'd probably not risk it at 3. Four potentially

PiffleandWiffle Fri 03-Nov-17 19:22:58

If they're old enough to wave their hand around in front of them & laugh then they're old enough to do it with a parent keeping an eye on them.

Primaryteach87 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:25:54

You know your child, I’m not sure ‘sensible’ and following instructions is a purely age based thing. My toddler is very safe in these situations as he has a high (over!!) developed sense of fear. He will follow my instructions to the letter although of course I will be holding it with him and both wearing gloves. My eldest on the other hand will be give a slightly warm marshmallow to distract him and firm daddy cuddles- he has a radar for danger!!

QuestaVecchiaCasa Fri 03-Nov-17 19:29:14

No particular view on Toddlers holding sparklers but I have been reminded of a snake shaped burn which I got when I picked up a spent sparkler that had gone out but not cooled down sufficiently.

I loved that scab it was the best ever smile

Cornettoninja Fri 03-Nov-17 19:43:24

My dd is almost 2 and I couldn't imagine it tbh. I don't particularly like them anyway but I don't like giving her the message it's okay to play about with things on fire.

She'll have to wait till I judge she has enough common sense and self control. Poor lamb grin

wrenika Fri 03-Nov-17 19:43:44

No way. They shouldn't be give to children under the age of 5, no matter how well you supervise, because they are dangerous. The end of a sparkler can burn from 1000degC to 2000degC. You wouldn't give a toddler something the temperature of boiling water so why on earth would you give them a sparkler which burns so hot! Think about being splashed by hot oil when you're frying...that hurts, and that's nothing on a sparkler's heat.
I'm all for fun and not wrapping kids in cotton wool, but equally, don't give them something so dangerous when they're not old enough to safely handle it!

NoStraightEdges Fri 03-Nov-17 19:47:26

<shudder> my dsis gave my son one when he was a toddler. She thought I was being mean for not letting him have a go.

She held her hand over his and did all the right things, but it was damned stressful (for me, her and him) and she agreed afterwards that I had a point. I mean, fun it was not.

So I'm in the no way Jose camp. Said toddler is now almost 5 and I'm dreading him wanting one this year.

KitKat1985 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:52:54

Mixed views here. I think it's worth being aware that ROSPA have advised that sparklers are not given to children under 5.

www.rospa.com/home-safety/advice/fireworks-safety/

I also can't seem to find a UK link but I've been told before that sparklers cause more injuries than any other firework, and this US link supports this statement, as well as noting that 9% of all people injured each year by fireworks are under 4:

www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/07/01/sparklers-yes-sparklers-are-most-frequent-cause-fireworks-injuries/RosP5pabBjD6C9urop4xLL/story.html

Obviously each to their own, but I'd rather give my DD a glowstick to play with than something that burns at about 1500 degrees C.

Wowzel Fri 03-Nov-17 19:59:33

I've looked after toddlers with sparkler burns so my DD won't be getting one until she is 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now