Talk

Advanced search

Remember that scene in Love Actually where wife finds necklace intended for mistress?

(142 Posts)
Amiinloveactually Fri 03-Nov-17 13:49:10

I hope this is light hearted and has funny ending!

It's a special occasion and by accident I found DH has recently (few weeks ago) ordered an expensive gift (the sort you only give to partners or close family) BUT, earlier he gave me a little gift and went on his way. I'm grateful of course but now wondering...

Will I get the gift later..... or should I worry?! He's not organised enough to be sorted now for Christmas and I can't think of any family occasions....

Belle1616 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:51:00

How did you find out?

Fruitcorner123 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:55:45

If you don't get it tonight i would ask him.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Fri 03-Nov-17 13:57:21

Maybe do some digging before you mention it or he will be on his guard. If he is guilty you may miss the opportunity to snoop.

Fruitcorner123 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:59:27

Hmmm thats true justbooked but if she asks and there is an inocent explanation she will save herself unecessary heartache
I am on the fence now.

MsHarry Fri 03-Nov-17 13:59:46

Oh god I hope not. That scene has me in tears overtime even thought I now what's coming.
Bide your time and check your facts. Good luck.

MsHarry Fri 03-Nov-17 14:00:25

though I know!

KC225 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:03:42

Has he given you any other cause for concern? Does he have 'flirting' form? If I remember rightly, in the film the wife watches the mistress and her DH slow dancing ay the works Christmas do and she clearly feels uncomfortable enough to say 'she's pretty' and 'watch yourself there'

Fruitcorner123 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:06:33

Are you sure the gift couldn't be for his mum/sister for christmas?

DunkMeInTomatoSoup Fri 03-Nov-17 14:10:34

You found out he ordered it - did you find the actual gift? Maybe it was out of stock, or lost in the post

KitKat1985 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:14:16

How did you find out about the gift? What special occasion is it for you?

beepboopbeep Fri 03-Nov-17 14:16:28

What's the gift?

Psychobabble123 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:18:34

I'm another saying have a little snoop first if he doesn't give it you later. If it isn't innocent, he's unlikely to admit it and will then cover his tracks.

whiteroseredrose Fri 03-Nov-17 14:18:47

Really hoping it's for you! Reminds me of the ring designer in Friends.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Fri 03-Nov-17 14:19:24

I'm sure it's for you and he just wants to give it to you later when you're not expecting it and he has time to enjoy your reaction. Don't start worrying until the day is over. Do you have a nice meal or something planned for this evening?

VladmirsPoutine Fri 03-Nov-17 14:19:40

Snoop first then wait.

GlitteryFluff Fri 03-Nov-17 14:19:48

Yes is it possible it's not arrived on time so he gave you something else whilst waiting?

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 03-Nov-17 14:20:32

This exact thing happened to me. It ended my marriage (my choice.)

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 03-Nov-17 14:20:58

I mean the scene from Love Actually, not what's happened to you, OP!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 03-Nov-17 14:21:30

It's possible the gift hasn't arrived or he didn't like it when he saw it up close so he returned it.

He ordered it for a family member to give to another family member?

haba Fri 03-Nov-17 14:23:30

It will be for Christmas, really. He's just being organised <fingers crossed>

eddielizzard Fri 03-Nov-17 14:34:23

try not to jump to conclusions. wait it out.

ShatnersWig Fri 03-Nov-17 14:36:07

Unless I had any other inkling something wasn't right, I would keep quiet.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 03-Nov-17 14:36:59

It would help to know what it is. If it's something bespoke then he would need to order it now to be in time for Christmas.

Amiinloveactually Fri 03-Nov-17 14:37:50

Not intending to be annoying withholding details btw but aware of press grabbing story!

He doesn't have previous form and without seeming naive I would genuinely be quite surprised if not for me - but then why wait until later? The gift earlier was cute but grateful as I am, its not too far removed from the chocolate bar present on the thread recently so it seems a bit small for the occasion!

I found it on internet search history - not snooping but is a shared device and I had searched "order" for a recent order I'd placed and it came up. DH has never been careful about net history so I have known about presents a similar way before! (Emails popping up on bottom of screen etc) I'm sure it would have arrived by now.

We are going out later but I'll be dying to ask now if doesn't show up! I'll keep you all informed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: