Talk

Advanced search

To expect payment for ticket .............

(790 Posts)
Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:08:57

Help needed please!
Was very close to friend for years. She's rubbish with money but was good at spending mine! We don't see each other so much, but still chat and I went to her birthday bash a few weeks ago.

It took me a while, but the penny finally dropped and I no longer 'lend' her money. (Think 'loan' for £1000 seven years ago and have only had £200 ish back).

There is a band that we have always wanted to see - I know I sound about 10!), so we agreed that I would get the tickets on my card and she would reimburse me after Glastonbury - very expensive!

Here's the thing - tomorrow is the day we go and I think (know?) that she won't have the money.

WIBU to just not go with her? Am meant to be picking her up at 12 pm.

ConciseandNice Fri 03-Nov-17 13:10:54

Is text her and ask if she'll have the money for the ticket with her as then you can use the cash for money or whatever (just an excuse) to see what she says. She's expecting to go so I wouldn't not turn up, but she needs to pay up. Like now.

ConciseandNice Fri 03-Nov-17 13:11:21

Stupid phone, cash for food or something.

DunkMeInTomatoSoup Fri 03-Nov-17 13:11:28

Who will you take in her place?

For future ref - get the money before you book events. It saves so much bother.

LagunaBubbles Fri 03-Nov-17 13:12:11

Contact her now with a reminder of exact price of ticket and what she owes you.

Appuskidu Fri 03-Nov-17 13:13:11

When did you buy the tickets?
How much are they?
When did she say she'd pay you buy?
What conversation has taken place about the money since?
Do you have her ticket?

Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:15:16

I have messaged her asking for the money so I can pay my half of petrol etc. No reply as yet.

I don't know who would go instead. I'd rather not go tbh if it's going to cost me loads. I can afford to lose the ticket money. I just feel like I should.

And yes - you're right about getting money first.

BenLui Fri 03-Nov-17 13:16:01

Why you agreed to buy expensive tickets for someone already in debt to you to the tune of £800 is beyond me.

However, just call her now and confirm that you want the money when you pick her up.

She isn’t going to have it though. You haven’t insisted she pay you back in the past why would she think anything would change this time?

You need to stop being her doormat.

Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:19:37

Thank you for the replies. I don't want to be silly about this, but I have been very foolish in the past with 'friends' and money.

Tickets bought in March 2017, £54 each, said she'd pay once Glastonbury was paid for. I asked for the money a few weeks back and again a few days ago and now again today. I have the tickets

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 03-Nov-17 13:20:01

Op I had a spare ticket for a gig I was at last night on my own, I sold it outside the venue for £100, just saying....

Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:21:47

That's the thing - I'm not anyone's doormat any more!

I don't think she'll have it either. The question is not about my 'stupidity' over past money, it's aibu to just not go tomorrow?

FlouncyDoves Fri 03-Nov-17 13:23:26

Sorry OP but you sound like a bit of mug where this friend is concerned. Why not treat this as the final time you’ll be hoodwinked and go along? Then resolve to never buy a ticket for this friend again or lend them a penny you can’t afford to lose.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Fri 03-Nov-17 13:24:06

Who is the band? Maybe mn could find you a replacement less flakey dancing partner?!

Travis1 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:24:15

not at all, if she can't transfer the money today put the tickets on faceache and try and get some money back

FlouncyDoves Fri 03-Nov-17 13:24:29

YWBU not to turn up without telling the friend first as presumably they’re meeting you there or expecting to attend.

YANBU to not attend or to seek to sell your tickets on to someone else who can go.

Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:26:02

I might end up having to that Brillo Hair!

ShotsFired Fri 03-Nov-17 13:26:17

yes, can you sell them for cost price locally?

streetlife70s Fri 03-Nov-17 13:27:05

No YADNBU. Don’t go. These CF need to have consequences for their actions. I hate it when people criticise nice people for doing nice things. The shame for being a so called ‘mug’ isn’t yours. It’s hers for taking advantage of you. Take someone else or don’t go if she doesn’t cough up.

Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:28:36

I have been a mug! That's the thing - I am a mug no more!

I am meant to be picking her up from home tomorrow.

ElephantsandTigers Fri 03-Nov-17 13:28:45

If she doesn't given you the money then leave without her. Someone else might buy at the gate and if not, £54 for you to assert yourself is a bargain. Then small claims her for the £800.

BenLui Fri 03-Nov-17 13:28:50

Guardsman unless you make it clear to your friend that handing over the ticket tomorrow is contingent on her handing you the £54 then, I’m sorry, but you are still being a doormat.

Tell her you need the money tomorrow, in cash, as soon as you arrive to pick her up.

If she doesn’t have it, don’t take her.

Glastonbury was in June. It’s now November.

Shouldileavethedogs Fri 03-Nov-17 13:29:00

Following

BenLui Fri 03-Nov-17 13:30:13

Guardsman you sound so nice, I feel bad for you.

If it helps, look at it this way - she’s stealing from you.

Appuskidu Fri 03-Nov-17 13:30:53

What has she said all the times since Glastonbury that you have asked her?

I wouldn't just not turn up to get her, no. You need to ring her and have a conversation about it.

Guardsman18 Fri 03-Nov-17 13:31:12

If she doesn't answer me today, then I'll have to say face to face that I'm not prepared to go.

So..... IANBU then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now