Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help on how to thank my mum

(10 Posts)
corrianderisthedevil Fri 03-Nov-17 12:45:44

My Mother is THE most kind, generous and caring person in my life and she helps me in so many ways - childcare, emotionally, financially when I'm skint and I'd be utterly lost without her. I am 33 and have an amazing Husband too, but my mum has done something recently that warrants a big thank you gift/gesture and I'm stumped.

I've done nice things for her in the past such as taking her on nice trips away, thoughtful gifts, cards and flowers but now I'm looking for an extra thoughtful gift so please hit me with any fantastic ideas you may have........

Thank you in advance!

Gazelda Fri 03-Nov-17 12:51:09

A photo book filled with pics from places you’ve been / things you’ve done together?

LemonShark Fri 03-Nov-17 12:51:44

A letter. Telling her everything that makes her the perfect mum for you. Big extravagant gifts and material goods don't convey gratitude and love anywhere near as much as simple heartfelt words do. I guarantee you a letter explaining why you're so glad you got to be her daughter and what she's taught you will go so much further than a weekend away or a piece of jewellery.

My mum is dead and I imagine she'd have loved while alive to hear the kinds of things I say and think about her now she's gone. Take the opportunity to tell her while you can.

19lottie82 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:53:31

I agree with LemonShark, my mum died kind of suddenly earlier in the year and it really upsets me I never really thanked her for all the sacrifices she made for me.

puglife15 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:54:01

She sounds great and you sound grateful. Lovely.

Have you got any old camcorder / film footage of you and your mum when you were younger, up to present day? How about making a short film (you could even narrate over the top of it about memories and how she's been there for you if you're feeling cheesy) set to a favourite song/ piece of music?

Cornettoninja Fri 03-Nov-17 12:55:25

I think a letter is a lovely idea.

Wouldn't hurt to give it her at a spa though! wink treat her to a day out doing something you know she loves or would love to do.

Afternoon tea? Spa? Driving a Porsche round a race track? Horse riding?

ConciseandNice Fri 03-Nov-17 12:57:31

If my adult children wrote me a letter which was even half as kind as you sound towards your mum, I would read it daily.

NotNowBernard1 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:57:41

I don't think she needs gifts or gestures. Just tell her how much she means to you. Though I think she probably knows.

StayAChild Fri 03-Nov-17 13:25:04

Agreed with some of the sentiments of PPs. I am a Mum doing similar to your Mum. I wouldn't want my DC to spend money on me, but a card/letter saying why you love her and the things she does will go a long, long way to making her feel special and appreciated.

Also, spending nice times with her will mean the world, I know it does to me. My DD fosters a very close relationship with my DGCs and I, even though we're at opposite ends of the country. It's priceless to me.

corrianderisthedevil Fri 03-Nov-17 15:45:49

Thank you all, you've all given me exactly what I needed - and lemonshark you are absolutely right. If I try and say the thank you out loud to her she just brushes it off as nothing so a letter is absolutely he best way to go about it. I think I'll take her out to a local spa for the day and then give her the letter there.

Photo/video montages are a great idea too but I recently edited a mish mash of old photos and video messages for her 60th birthday so have exhausted that one.

Off to pen a letter......

Thank you all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now